Who is your Favorite President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who is your Favorite President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who is your Favorite President?  (Read 11327 times)
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »

Not necessarily the best, but your favorite.

Mine would be William Henry Harrison - he wasn't in office long enough to screw anything up.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »

LBJ
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:31 PM »

Herbert Hoover
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »

Thomas Jefferson.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »

Andrew Jackson is up there.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:22 PM »

Clinton, Jefferson. If Gore had won, he'd be up there.
Witiko
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 03:05:34 AM »

Having just devoted two weeks to a 1200-page FDR biography (the third on him that I have read), I'll go with Franklin Roosevelt.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 05:40:51 AM »

Having just devoted two weeks to a 1200-page FDR biography (the third on him that I have read), I'll go with Franklin Roosevelt.

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=4013
Witiko
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=4013
Yes, yes, I've seen the libertarian think tank article already.

Somehow I found it less than convincing.

Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »

Gee, that's a really hard call to make, seeing as they've all been fairly poor.  I'm leaning towards Teddy Roosevelt.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »

John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Teddy Roosevelt, Harry Truman, and LBJ all come to mind.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »

On balance, LBJ.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:02 PM »

not a favorite, but I like Gerald Ford-piss poor liberal, but the times made him what he was, and it's an interesting story.
another non-favorite I like is Harry Truman who had no college education, but was a self-educated man, and he faced the hardest decision any President to this day has had to make
Andrew Johnson-I like him in that he wanted a quick, painless reconstruction that would not hurt the south.  Plus the fact that he fired his Sec of War to spite congress and got impeached because of it shows brass balls.

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:12 PM »

not a favorite, but I like Gerald Ford-piss poor liberal, but the times made him what he was, and it's an interesting story.
another non-favorite I like is Harry Truman who had no college education, but was a self-educated man, and he faced the hardest decision any President to this day has had to make
Andrew Johnson-I like him in that he wanted a quick, painless reconstruction that would not hurt the south.  Plus the fact that he fired his Sec of War to spite congress and got impeached because of it shows brass balls.

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.

Really suprised.

Ford was one of the stupidest Presidents in history!

Some of the more trenchant observations about Ford were:

He played too much football without a helmet - Lyndon Johnson

Couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

He appointed Rockefeller as Vice President!

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »

My personal favorite is Truman, much for the reasons M and C cited (hey, I knew eventually we'd agree on something Smiley). The last President who didn't graduate from college, and probably will hold that title for quite some time.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »

My personal favorite is Truman, much for the reasons M and C cited (hey, I knew eventually we'd agree on something Smiley). The last President who didn't graduate from college, and probably will hold that title for quite some time.

And you dislike Bush 43 for not finishing a war? Truman is perhaps one of the most overrated Presidents, at least in foreign policy. He fired McArthur, which of course, was a terrible mistake and in the end cost a sure victory in the Korean peninsula.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »

Jefferson Davis.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 04:46:57 PM »

TR
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »

Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

Smiley
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:11 AM »

Cheesy
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »

Really suprised.

did you read what I wrote?  I already said he was a piss-poor liberal President.  His job was to put a close on the damages done by the Nixon Administration.  Pardoning him, I wouldn't have done.  However, the country had been through enough.  He brought back troops from Vietnam and around the world.  Pretty shallow President, no real goals, no vision.  I know that he really wanted the GOP to win so he could be Speaker of the House since he liked his house job.  Actual policies were rather horrible.  The man knew nothing about economics.  He supported the court's Roe v Wade decision.  GOP would never support him today unless he ran from New England.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »

Really suprised.

did you read what I wrote?  I already said he was a piss-poor liberal President.  His job was to put a close on the damages done by the Nixon Administration.  Pardoning him, I wouldn't have done.  However, the country had been through enough.  He brought back troops from Vietnam and around the world.  Pretty shallow President, no real goals, no vision.  I know that he really wanted the GOP to win so he could be Speaker of the House since he liked his house job.  Actual policies were rather horrible.  The man knew nothing about economics.  He supported the court's Roe v Wade decision.  GOP would never support him today unless he ran from New England.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

It seems that every great nation has a period of absolutely terrible heads of government.

The Brits endured a series of slimebags in the 30s while in the 70s the United States endured dumb (ford), dumber (carter) and a crook (nixon).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 08:57:02 AM »

Come on, now! That guy was incompetant.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 03:30:52 PM by Milk_and_Cereal »

Come on, now! That guy was incompetant.

how so?

The Brits endured a series of slimebags in the 30s while in the 70s the United States endured dumb (ford), dumber (carter) and a crook (nixon).

Personally, I like to refer to them as the wizard of Oz characters.  Nixon was the TinMan, Ford was the Scarecrow, and Carter was the Cowardly Lion.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies