In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In case anyone's kinda wondering about that whole Georgia 10 Special Election...  (Read 3522 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 11:20:25 PM »

Who's the Democratic candidate in this election?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:28 PM »

His name was Jim Marlow or something and he failed to make the runoff.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »

Who's the Democratic candidate in this election?
There were 6 Republicans, 3 Democrats, and 1 Libertarian in the first round last month.  The top two vote getters (both Republicans) advanced to the runoff last Tuesday.  The third place guy, Marlow, was a Democrat and was barely beaten for the second place slot by Broun.  Given the demographics of the district, had Marlow made the runoff, he'd have lost badly to Whitehead, which likely accounts for why altho he was close enough to Broun to do so, Marlow chose to not call for a recount of the first round.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »

Then it's communism.

Unless it's a Republican primary, I expect at least one candidate who is not a Republican.

Otherwise it's exactly like what the Soviet Union did by only allowing Communist Party candidates on the ballot.

So is Georgia going to stop being communist, or am I going to have to go on a hunger strike?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 01:54:46 AM »

So is Georgia going to stop being communist, or am I going to have to go on a hunger strike?
Please do go on hunger strike and stay on it to the bitter end.

This isn't communism but non-partisan-ism. The Republican that one was the one best able to appeal to non-Republicans.  Given the nature of the district, a Republican was going to win in a one-on-one contest against any Democrat unless the Republican had been found in bed with the proverbial live boy or dead girl between the first round and the runoff.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »

Please do go on hunger strike and stay on it to the bitter end.

This isn't communism but non-partisan-ism. The Republican that one was the one best able to appeal to non-Republicans.  Given the nature of the district, a Republican was going to win in a one-on-one contest against any Democrat unless the Republican had been found in bed with the proverbial live boy or dead girl between the first round and the runoff.

Given the tilt of the district, it might have needed both a live boy and a dead girl.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 07:55:19 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2007, 08:01:03 PM by SoFA Gabu »

Then it's communism.

Unless it's a Republican primary, I expect at least one candidate who is not a Republican.

Otherwise it's exactly like what the Soviet Union did by only allowing Communist Party candidates on the ballot.

They allowed the top two people whom the voters voted for on the final ballot.  If the voters had voted for the Democrat, he would have been on the final ballot.  The results of this election were fully and entirely in the hands of the voters.  The voters decided that they did not want a Democrat as their other option in the final ballot.  There is no shady backroom politics or disenfranchisement going on here.

Here's a question: would you have cared if the top two vote-getters had both been Democrats?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies