French Demographic Maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:29:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Demographic Maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French Demographic Maps  (Read 31208 times)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: October 29, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »

Degree higher than the BAC

Petanque licenses (lol)

A fine one.
We can see that there is absolutely no relation between any electoral map and this last one....

Can't you find rugby numbers ? Would be geographically interesting.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »

In the South-East, the Bordeaux pôle urbain is a bit extensive. INSEE seems to draw a circle although the influence of Bordeaux isn't a same in every direction. Surprising. But very interesting.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »

Housing maps of Bretagne and Aquitaine ?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »

Not very surprising, of course: more owners in the rural and touristic parts.
But the high totals all over Brittany are impressive.

As for incomes, Pontivy and around is a bit surprising... Elsewhere, it's logical.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »

http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/detail.asp?reg_id=0&ref_id=circo_leg-2012

Here are some demographic data from official INSEE, at the constituency level, inside new boundaries.

You've got sex, age, nationality (yep, number of foreigners), professional activity, etc.

Some maps in the making, Hash Wink ?

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:02 AM »

Where are all the foreigners in Guiana from?

Why is there a relatively higher concentration in interior Aquitaine, Haute-Vienne and Tarn-et-Garonne? And what nationality are they? Spanish?

Pieds-noirs, perhaps?

- Surinam.

- In the SW, I suppose, in Dordogne and Lot (former Quercy before French revolutionaries erased the past Grin), that's the British who bought many fine old houses...
In Burgundy (see Saône-et-Loire, but also the north of Rhône), same process, with some wine castles.

That's the same probably in Côtes d'Armor and Orne, though houses are less fine there Tongue
I'm surprised that Calvados and Seine-Maritime aren't more coloured, but they've got a bigger population, hence a smaller proportion.

As for Lot-et-Garonne (though it's more mixed here: also some British) and Tarn-et-Garonne, it's probable more about poor workers (from Mediterranean countries) in agriculture (fruits, vegetables). Same thing in Aude and Hérault (wine).
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:43 AM »

For once, I agree with Colbert.

As for Armorican mountains, well, there are absolutely no muntains there Tongue
As for Jura, it's not an agricultural mountain.
Larzac is more surprising.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »

Ugh, people. I never said the correlation was perfect; it is partial. There is a partial link, in some places, between small property and leftist tradition. It is not universal, but anybody with half a brain understands that voting patterns and their determinants differ from region to region and that an identical type of makeup in two regions doesn't mean that they vote identically - far from it. And even if I recognize that it is not the only cause, it certainly informs a political tradition.

Of course, there is still a partial link, I agree. My answer to Colbert was just quickly typed between two meetings Tongue

You're right for south of Berry, Languedoc, inner Var (though south of Var and Alpes-Maritimes have small farms statistically because they are hugely urbanized and so, the lands left aren't very big).

But Ariège, Hautes Pyrénées, Pyrénées Atlantiques and Pyrénées Orientales, it's about Pyrenees.
Haute-Saône, it's only the part in Vosges, so not exactly the strongest area for the left.
You're right for south of Berry and for Limousin, though the Massif Central is widespread.
Charente-Maritime, the south is orange in your map, while it's rgithist territory; while the north is blue, while it's leftist territory.

There are also counter-examples to what you say: Savoies, Brittany in a way, Manche, Cher, even the "red" Allier, Meurthe-et-Moselle in a way, which are all counter-intuitive base on modern electoral results. The same for Cantal which is really a "blue" departement.
The same for south of Var, Alpes-Maritimes, but also the heart of Champagne (the NW corner of Marne: slight orange while it's UMP-fascist wing of FN territory), just because big wine farms are small ones even if hugely rich ones (see also the ousth of Saône-et-Loire and the north of Rhône).

My comment was really too short: you're globally right, but what I wanted to say is that the first explanation, the first link is geography, which explains far better in details this map. And, after that, as a possible corollary in many areas, there are of course political consequences.

Maybe a better (in the meaning of more correlated in each area) link with other maps would be the rural unionism; results of MODEF and then Confédération paysanne in Agriculture Chambers' elections.

Sorry if my "I agree with Colbert" put just after his "there is no political conection" made you collapse... Grin I can perfectly understand your reaction ! It was unintended and my comment was really trop rapide, dans les deux sens de l'expression Smiley.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies