The "Era of Good Feelings"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:25:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The "Era of Good Feelings"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The "Era of Good Feelings"?  (Read 11169 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2004, 07:34:33 PM »

James Monroe's Presidency (1817-1825) is known as the "Era of Good Feelings." This is because the War of 1812 was won and the economy was expanding thanks to trains and canals. But there were some bad feeling in this "Era of Good Feelings."

The first was when Secretary of the Treasury William H. Crawford gave President Monroe a list of men he wanted for political patronage. President Monroe said he had already chosen people for those positions, and Crawford asked who they were. President Monroe told Crawford, "Sir, that is none of your damn business." Crawford then called Monroe a, "Damned infernal old scoundrel", and charged forward at him with his cane. Monroe took out of the firplace two red hot fire tongs, and he chased him out of the White House.

The second "bad feeling" was when British Ambasador Sir Charles Vaughan and French minister Count de Sourier were dining at the White House. The two exchanged insults at one pont, and drew swords! They were about ready to come to blows when President Monroe drew his sword. He told the two to sit down, and then they enjoyed their dessert.
cwelsch

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:38:20 PM »

Heh.  An armed society is a polite society.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 07:52:26 PM »

It's funny that men with sharp swords were allowed to walk around the White House. Smiley
cwelsch

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 08:27:58 PM »

The antebellum Congress was so divided that all Congressmen carried a gun and a knife to session.  Those without a gun and a knife carried two guns. Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 10:12:38 PM »

Martin Van Buren carried two pistols with him to the Senate while he was presiding over it as Vice President.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 05:12:03 AM »

I thought the term "Era of Good Feeling" also had to do with the fact that the federalist party disappeared and that there was thus no political division, at least not formally?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »

I thought the term "Era of Good Feeling" also had to do with the fact that the federalist party disappeared and that there was thus no political division, at least not formally?

Also that, but I didnt want to tell all the reasons or the funny stories I wrote down would be skipped to read some facts about why it is called the "Era of Good Feelings." Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

Also that, but I didnt want to tell all the reasons or the funny stories I wrote down would be skipped to read some facts about why it is called the "Era of Good Feelings." Smiley

Just checking, making sure that I know my American history. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies