Environmental Debate (Sponsered by the National Weekly Atlasian)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:52:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Environmental Debate (Sponsered by the National Weekly Atlasian)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Environmental Debate (Sponsered by the National Weekly Atlasian)  (Read 2443 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »

Here we are at an debate to talk about the environment, sponsered by the National Weekly AtlasianTM. This debate will be moderated by myself, Midwest Lt. Gov. SPC, and Southeast Lt. Gov. Sensei. The debaters will be District 2 Senator DWTL and Mideast Lt. Gov. Hashemite.

My first question will go to Hashemite, asking him what he would propose the Senate to do to help the environment?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:51:51 AM »

What I would propose to the Senate is easy. If Senators have already rejected the Kyoto Protocol, I'll let that ruling stay for now. However, I'll propose immediate bills to reduce by drastic amounts the number of CO2 emissions by the year 2015 or 2020. Our earth is being polluted, and I think nobody can refute that statement. At the same time, nobody is taking any durable measures to cut down on CO2 emissions, which is a main cause of climate change and pollution. So, I believe, that its our duty to take action ourselves on global warming by making the government responsible for reducing CO2 emissions. I agree that we're not the cause of every single CO2 emissions, but each nation should take steps like these on their own.
I would also expand research into alternative fuels, such as ethanol or hybrid vehicules, to help reduce CO2 emissions.
All alone, doing small or big things to cut down on CO2 emissions will help curve the alarming trend.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »

Before my question I would like to input a rebutall to the honorable Lt. Gov:

I would like to refer him and anyone to the Carbon Tax Act I believe this was a great compromise the senate agreed on rather than the flawed Kyoto Protocol.  It creates taxes for using fossil fuels which deters people from using fossil fuels.  The plan does not put any unnecessary restrictions on business, but it encourages a reduction in carbon emission.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »

I know about the Carbon Tax Act. It's a great start in a long process that needs to be continued. You can't leave it there and treat climate change as a dead matter.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »

I know about the Carbon Tax Act. It's a great start in a long process that needs to be continued. You can't leave it there and treat climate change as a dead matter.

From the pollution angle is where you may be able to appeal to the senate, and of course, I for one am from New Jersey and know exactly what pollution is like.  I would support things like dreding polluted rivers and fining companies for dumping hazardous materials in the water supply or underground, but I think these things need to be done at the regional level.  I suggest you go and do that.  The only thing that could be considered on the federal level is fining companies that dump chemicals into federal waters, however, the federal governments powers are certainly not unlimited.

Would you be in favor of offering tax breaks to people who drive hybrid or alternative fuel cars?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »

- Off the Record -
I must say this debate is going smoothly so far and I think some real good might come out of it
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »

From the pollution angle is where you may be able to appeal to the senate, and of course, I for one am from New Jersey and know exactly what pollution is like.  I would support things like dreding polluted rivers and fining companies for dumping hazardous materials in the water supply or underground, but I think these things need to be done at the regional level.  I suggest you go and do that.  The only thing that could be considered on the federal level is fining companies that dump chemicals into federal waters, however, the federal governments powers are certainly not unlimited.

Would you be in favor of offering tax breaks to people who drive hybrid or alternative fuel cars?

It's common sense that people don't pollute rivers. There shouldn't be any laws forbiding pollution of rivers. People aren't stupid enough to do it on their own because "its not a law". But, the federal and regional government should regulate industrial waste directed to rivers.

Of course, I support tax breaks for people or corporations using alternative fuels not only in cars but in other transports or activities.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »

It's common sense that people don't pollute rivers. There shouldn't be any laws forbiding pollution of rivers. People aren't stupid enough to do it on their own because "its not a law". But, the federal and regional government should regulate industrial waste directed to rivers.

Of course, I support tax breaks for people or corporations using alternative fuels not only in cars but in other transports or activities.
Of course people on their own don't usually pollute rivers, but I did specifically mention companies.  What is your opinion of requiring new home/office construction to meet certain energy standards.  I would support making them voluntary and allowing people to know.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »

Of course people on their own don't usually pollute rivers, but I did specifically mention companies.  What is your opinion of requiring new home/office construction to meet certain energy standards.  I would support making them voluntary and allowing people to know.

Here it's a bit of voluntary work to cut down on energy needs but also governmental regulation concerning consumption of energy in construction sites. All new buildings, perhaps with a few minor exceptions, should follow new energy regulations.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »

Here it's a bit of voluntary work to cut down on energy needs but also governmental regulation concerning consumption of energy in construction sites. All new buildings, perhaps with a few minor exceptions, should follow new energy regulations.

You used the last word someone like myself ever wants to hear.  It would be ideal to have people regulating this, but in our society who fund these people and what would prevent them from jsut accepting payoffs?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:58:33 AM »

The next question is for the Senator.

What further steps are you willing to take as Senator to reduce fossil fuel use and advocate the use of alternative fuels and conservation methods?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 12:30:20 PM »

The next question is for the Senator.

What further steps are you willing to take as Senator to reduce fossil fuel use and advocate the use of alternative fuels and conservation methods?

I am always in favor of government that motivates people to do good rather than government that punishes.  Following that theme, I am in the process of drafting a bill that would provide tax breaks for individuals and companies that use alternative fuels or those that met certain energy requirments that I need more consulting on before I decide on that standard.  Punishing people for using fossil fuels is certainly not the way to stop it.  Also, government campaigns with advertising and the like never work, motivating people with their pocketbooks is the best way.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »

THe Kyoto Protocol will pass over my dead body.  I will not pass a Bill that would totaly fcuk over Atlasia's economy and do little, if nothing, with giant problem of China or any other growing third-world country in the release of pollutants.

The Carbon Tax Act is a fine compromise.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »

My next question will be for Hashemite.

Do you feel that there is a way to help both the environment and the economy simultaneously?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 11:41:08 AM »

My next question will be for Hashemite.

Do you feel that there is a way to help both the environment and the economy simultaneously?

Good question. If we can find a way to use alternative fuels and energy efficently we won't be addicted to oil anymore and I see no reason why the economy should suffer from it providing these new fuels and energy sources are efficent and reliable.
For DWTL, what do you think individuals should do to help the environment and reduce the effects of climate change?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »

As for Hashemite's question as what individuals can do to reduce effects of climate change, the answer is nothing because humans are not contributing to climate change.  What humans can do to help the environment is things like using alternative fuels and buying Energy Star appliances.  Everyone can do their own thing that helps in some way, even if it is something as simple as recycling.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »

Here's a question for DWTL.

Would you be willing to vote for a bill that helped the environment but could potentially cripple the economy?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »

Here's a question for DWTL.

Would you be willing to vote for a bill that helped the environment but could potentially cripple the economy?

I do not support enviromental restrictions and the like for businesses with some exceptions.  I would like fines to be collected if they do something, like pollute a river, but I do not believe preemptive environmental restrictions are what we need and they can do nothing but hurt the economy.  I think we need to have things to encourage people to do good for the environment and offer incentitves of rmeeting standards or doing certain things.  The government should not be telling businesses what to do.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 12:38:11 PM »

I would never support ratifying the Kyoto Treaty under its current design and would see to it that I do everything in my power to make sure that Atlasia is never a party to that treaty as it is currently written. As for the Carbon Tax Act I think it is an excellent compromise and a good way to promote cleaner business practices and reduce emissions.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 07:49:57 PM »

This question is for Sen. Down

In your opinion, which alternative energies should be explored more in depth?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 10:16:06 PM »

I would look into ethanol, hydrogen, and compressed air, they are all readily available and have perfected technologies that just need to be cheapened.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »

Let me comment that this is excellent material, someone claim credit for this idea, I forget who proposed it.

This is great stuff, DWTL, I am personally impressed with your answers.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 10:40:44 PM »

Let me comment that this is excellent material, someone claim credit for this idea, I forget who proposed it.

I believe that it was my idea to have a debate.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 10:42:52 PM »

Your name is on the peerage watch list.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »

Your name is on the peerage watch list.
I'm co-moderating... Watch list, anyone?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies