Gingrich hints he won't run in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:05:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gingrich hints he won't run in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gingrich hints he won't run in 2008  (Read 937 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2007, 01:03:56 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/5151.html

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) came a step closer to suggesting he will not run for president as he praised other Republicans on "Fox News Sunday.”

He confirmed he recently had dinner with Fred Thompson, adding that the former Tennessee senator would be a “very formidable candidate.”

Gingrich didn’t sound like a candidate looking to enter the political fray as he complimented Thompson, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney.

“These three are serious people. They’re working very hard, and if they can fill the vacuum, I don’t feel any great need to run,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich also didn’t sound too eager to join the debates – a necessary precondition if he entered the presidential fray.

“I believe that the [presidential nominating] process is fundamentally broken,” he said.

“We have reduced our political dialogue to a point where potential would-be leaders of the most powerful government in the world stand meekly in line waiting for somebody to pick a question, and the question could be anything.”

The former speaker also sounded a warning note about the state of the country and the state of today’s political process.

He accused both parties of failing to respond to the challenges facing the country, which he compared to pre-Civil War America.

“The Republicans don’t recognize the scale of the performance failure of government as a system, and the Democrats are living in a fantasy land in terms of their policy approach.

“So you have two parties, each of them disqualifying themselves in different ways,” said Gingrich, a sometime historian who has written books about the Civil War period.

-------------------------

disappointing since I sorta like him and think he'd be entertaining, but it also means some money can be had by shorting the "Gingrich to run for President" stock on Intrade.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:49:37 PM »

Damn, I was really rooting for a Gingrich/Hunter ticket or something Sad
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »

i like newt a lot.  the republican party needs him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »

Maybe he could run for Georgia governor in 2010 instead. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/5151.html

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) came a step closer to suggesting he will not run for president as he praised other Republicans on "Fox News Sunday.”

He confirmed he recently had dinner with Fred Thompson, adding that the former Tennessee senator would be a “very formidable candidate.”

Gingrich didn’t sound like a candidate looking to enter the political fray as he complimented Thompson, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney.

“These three are serious people. They’re working very hard, and if they can fill the vacuum, I don’t feel any great need to run,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich also didn’t sound too eager to join the debates – a necessary precondition if he entered the presidential fray.

“I believe that the [presidential nominating] process is fundamentally broken,” he said.

“We have reduced our political dialogue to a point where potential would-be leaders of the most powerful government in the world stand meekly in line waiting for somebody to pick a question, and the question could be anything.”

The former speaker also sounded a warning note about the state of the country and the state of today’s political process.

He accused both parties of failing to respond to the challenges facing the country, which he compared to pre-Civil War America.

“The Republicans don’t recognize the scale of the performance failure of government as a system, and the Democrats are living in a fantasy land in terms of their policy approach.

“So you have two parties, each of them disqualifying themselves in different ways,” said Gingrich, a sometime historian who has written books about the Civil War period.

-------------------------

disappointing since I sorta like him and think he'd be entertaining, but it also means some money can be had by shorting the "Gingrich to run for President" stock on Intrade.

I dunno if he is more lazy than just confident in others. Just a few weeks ago, he called himself the Nikolas Sarkozy of American Conservatism in that he was the only candidate that could triangulate the need of change in this country into victory.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »

What happened? Did he read the tea leaves and realized he had a snowball's chance in hell at getting 3% of the vote? Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 04:49:16 PM »

What happened? Did he read the tea leaves and realized he had a snowball's chance in hell at getting 3% of the vote? Tongue
Maybe. Maybe he see strength in Guliani and Thompson...who knows. Maybe he wised up and just really liked writing so he could prove that you could be an "intellectual conservative.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 11:29:13 PM »

despite this, Gingrich had a great day on Intrade.
poughies
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »

i dislike him less than Tom Delay... whatever that means...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 01:14:08 AM »

Too bad. I would've liked to have seen him run. I would like to have more than one person I could realistically support.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies