CNN: California could sway 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:42:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  CNN: California could sway 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CNN: California could sway 2008  (Read 10236 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:33 PM »

It beats having California's huge stash of electoral votes being decided by a bunch of San Francisco crack head pot smoking dope addicts every time.

Crack-head pot-smoking dope addicts.

Damn, that's quite a trifecta.  Are they homos too?  How about baby-killers?

Silly Alcon, they're all the same.  His fingers just got tired typing.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2007, 09:29:02 PM by Tammany Hall Republican »

It beats having California's huge stash of electoral votes being decided by a bunch of San Francisco crack head pot smoking dope addicts every time.

Good grief man, lighten up already!

And MODU, Relucant Republican, and jfern as well.

By the way, I have never ever used, nor would I ever use, the term you just used, to refer to homosexuals and lesbians.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »

I would be for this... though really all states should go this way anyways (though gerrymandering would HAVE to finally be stopped)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 01:01:15 AM »

Until the drawing of congressional districts is removed from the hands of partisan hacks I cannot support these types of measures.  I would very much like to support this but gerrymandering is just too great a problem and I'm not sure anything can be done to solve it anymore.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 01:14:31 AM »

Until the drawing of congressional districts is removed from the hands of partisan hacks I cannot support these types of measures.  I would very much like to support this but gerrymandering is just too great a problem and I'm not sure anything can be done to solve it anymore.

A federal law requiring that all states use the Iowa-and-Minnesota system. if we could get a President elected who thought it important, he or she could get the Senate lockstep on it and probably guilt/threaten the House into passing it.
jacob_101

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

A federal law requiring that all states use the Iowa-and-Minnesota system. if we could get a President elected who thought it important, he or she could get the Senate lockstep on it and probably guilt/threaten the House into passing it.

What is the MN-Iowa system?
jacob_101

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »

I am sure this would be defeated just like the Colorado proposal.
The only way I would support this is if it was passed federally and gerrymandering was stopped.  Otherwise some states deciding to do it this way would favor one party or the other in national races.  Imagine California, New York and Pennsylvania decide to do this, but no large Republican states do, that would obviously help the Republican candidate, or vice versa.
Oh and Maine and Nebraska should stop doing it to.  They are going to mess up an election some day.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 03:00:02 PM »

We should abolish the elecitons and install me as Fuhrer.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »

I think the GOP loses California not because of San Fran but because Southern Cal isn't as Republican friendly as it used to be.
Indeed. The Bay Area and LA county have trended hard left in the 1990's. I mean, LA County's the only thing keeping SoCal from voting Republican.

California voted Republican at the presidential level until the 80s, and the Bay Area was just as liberal then as it is now, if not more so.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 05:05:46 AM »

I wouldn't vote for it. Hey, that's just me. Tongue
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »

I think the GOP loses California not because of San Fran but because Southern Cal isn't as Republican friendly as it used to be.
Indeed. The Bay Area and LA county have trended hard left in the 1990's. I mean, LA County's the only thing keeping SoCal from voting Republican.

California voted Republican at the presidential level until the 80s, and the Bay Area was just as liberal then as it is now, if not more so.
But it was nowhere near as Democratic then as it is now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »

Even if this passes in next years primary (which I highly doubt) it could look like this in the end:

The Democratic candidate wins with a 3% swing compared to 2004, but loses all districts in CA, with all 55 EVs going to the Republican (another unlikely scenario, because Bush just won 20 or so in 2004):

Result: The Democratic candidate still wins with 270-268 ... Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2007, 01:13:35 AM »

Or in this scenario - Romney vs. Clinton - Romney takes 25 out of California's 55 electoral districts and wins Michigan:

It ends in a 269-269 tie. Clinton could win NV though and 274-264.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2007, 01:38:45 AM by got a friend, her name is boxcar... »

Not even close.

1988:

2004:

It voted Democratic, but note the shading. Hell Bush, Sr. got over 25% in San Francisco even. And Dukakis won Contra Costa county by less than 4 points, which Kerry won by over 25 points.

Also note the shading of Los Angeles County, which Dukakis only won by about 5 points, and Kerry won by almost 30 points.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 01:37:32 AM »

Defining the Bay Area as Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, here's how it voted:

1988:
Dukakis - 58.48%
Bush - 40.19%

2004:
Kerry - 70.43%
Bush - 28.12%

In 1988 that's about 26 points more Democratic than the national average, while in 2004 that's almost 45 points more Democratic than the national average. HUGE swing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »

Defining the Bay Area as Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, here's how it voted:

1988:
Dukakis - 58.48%
Bush - 40.19%

2004:
Kerry - 70.43%
Bush - 28.12%

In 1988 that's about 26 points more Democratic than the national average, while in 2004 that's almost 45 points more Democratic than the national average. HUGE swing.

For fun, try the 1976 election.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »

I'd support it.

And not just CA, but every other state as well.

Ford would have won in 1976 had this been in place..

See?  It's a good idea.

agreed.  Ted Kennedy 1980
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »

Gays in San Fransisco?  Next thing you'll be telling us is that there are fundies in the "bible belt".

Amazingly enough, I heard that the abortion rate among homosexuals is very low.  Who'd have thunk it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2007, 01:39:44 AM »

We need a Constitutional amendment to change the popular vote to prevent this kind of idiocy about changing how the electors are determined every year. Of course the least populated 13 states, with their 5% or whatever of the US's population will block it.

A compact to get 270 EV of states to give their votes to the popular vote winner (or the winner of the states in the compact) would work. The California legislature passed such a law, but Arnold vetoed it because he hates CalEEEFornia.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »

I'd support it.

And not just CA, but every other state as well.

^^
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »

Unless at the same time a constitutional ammendment is adopted giving the redistricting authority to an Independent Boundary Commission, this is an invitation to terrible mischief. Aside from everything else, imagine what would the California state legislature do to congressional boundaries in 2012: at that point incentives to gerrymander will by far exceed incentives to protect incumbents.  I'd be shocked if, say, Orange County is not cut into multiple narrow threads all converging on LA (40% from OC, 60% from LA in each).  And you'd have, literally, hundreds of millions of dollars going into a single State Senate race in NY if they did it there: at that point, getting rid of the remaining few Republican-leaning districts in the state becomes imperative for Dems, and that means that the single-party control of the state legislature is worth any amount of money.  The end result of it all would, likely, be that not only a bunch of states are uncompetitive at presidential level, but that in Congress and in state legislatures most big states would look like Massachussetts or Idaho.

The appropriate remedy could be allocating electors by PR. There is simply no justification for doing it by congressional district.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »

Independent commissions draw the boundaries rather than the state legislature.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 10:45:58 PM »

We need a Constitutional amendment to change the popular vote to prevent this kind of idiocy about changing how the electors are determined every year. Of course the least populated 13 states, with their 5% or whatever of the US's population will block it.

A compact to get 270 EV of states to give their votes to the popular vote winner (or the winner of the states in the compact) would work. The California legislature passed such a law, but Arnold vetoed it because he hates CalEEEFornia.

Maryland passed it at least.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 11:56:28 PM »

Independent commissions draw the boundaries rather than the state legislature.

New Jersey has that, too, and yet they took great care to have 6 Republican districts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:44 PM »

The NJ plan was basically a compromise plan that protected all the incumbents including the recently elected and at the time vulnerable Rush Holt and Rodney Ferguson. The Democrats agreed to it to protect Holt figuring they had maxed out. It was pretty stupid in hindsight, but whatever.

And Minnesota's districts are not drawn by an independent commission.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies