European Parliament 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Parliament 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European Parliament 2009  (Read 3099 times)
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »
« edited: January 28, 2015, 08:46:20 PM by Ethelberth »

d

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »

I'm hoping to stand.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »

Under the rules of the treaties that allowed Romania and Bulgaria to become EU members on January 1st 2007, the UK agreed to lose six MEP's at the next Euro Elections in 2009. Today the Electoral Commission has announced which UK regions will lose MEP's, those regions are:

East Midlands: Was 6, Recommended 5: Bill Newton Dunn (Lib Dem) OUT
London: Was 9, Recommended 8: Robert Evans (Lab) OUT
North West: Was 9, Recommended 8: Saj Karim (Lib Dem) OUT
South West: Was 7, Recommended 6: Giles Chichester (Con) OUT
West Midlands: Was 7, Recommended 6: Malcolm Harbour (Con) OUT
Scotland: Was 7, Recommended 6: John Purvis (Con) OUT
All other regions unchanged

Notional 2004 result (and changes): Con 24 (-3) Lab 18 (-1) UKIP 12 (n/c) Lib Dem 10 (-2), SNP 2 (n/c), Green 2 (n/c), Plaid 1 (n/c), NI Parties 3 (n/c)

Scotland 2004 Notionals: 1st seat Lab, 2nd seat SNP, 3rd seat Con, 4th seat Lab, 5th seat Lib Dem, 6th seat SNP.

My inital assessement is that you would have be placed either first or second to be assured a place in Europe, third is pushing your luck and fourth or lower means forget it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:50:40 AM »

France will be interesting. Will the MoDem and PSLE run seperate or together? Can the PCF and FN hold on to their seats after the 2007 humiliation(s)?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:46:39 AM »

Austria will also be interesting, because I´m sure that Hans-Peter Martin and his ETI list won´t be able to defend the 14% and 2 Euro Parliament seats they gained in 2004. He´s a bit worn out recently and was just able to get 3% in the 2006 Austrian federal elections.

So probably lot´s of his voters will cross over to the Far-Right Freedom Party (FPÖ) which just had 6% in 2004, but reached 11% in last years federal elections.

It also remains to be seen if the Conservative-Centrist ÖVP or the Social Democrats (SPÖ) will be first. Also, the Green Party could reach 15% in 2009, which would be a new high. The BZÖ and the Communist Party though are unlikely to get any seats.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:31:30 AM »

The report has criticised the governments distribution of seats across the UK; while it recommends Scotland loosing one MSP based on the governments method it says that Scotland's 'unique' position should be given greater consideration. There may be a review.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »

On the face of it I'd expect a modest recovery for Labour, while Conservative hopes are tied up with the extent to which the UKIP vote unravels and with UKIP effectively broke and the the contests' status as a second order election i cant help but think that the Conservative position should improve some what as UKIP collapses. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »

Good luck if you do Smiley

I hate the system whereby the UK currently elects it's MEPs. F***ing abominable and that's swearing

In 2004, the Northeast voted 34.1% Labour; 18.6% Conservative and 17.8% Lib Dem and what did we get? One Labour, one Tory and a Lib Dem. STV would be preferable to the closed party list system. Indeed, it's the system I find objectionable rather than the result

Dave
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

France will be interesting. Will the MoDem and PSLE run seperate or together? Can the PCF and FN hold on to their seats after the 2007 humiliation(s)?

1) separate

2) probably for FN. Last ifop poll showed a (first) disaffection of sarkozy amongst Fn voters, compensed by more favorable views amongst left voters. For now.

But next (2008), it's local elections and a close look on henin beaumont which could play the same role than Dreux in early 80's. briois will first and marine second (she did 45% on the city at the second turn of the legislative).

Paris will be interessant, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille also. And of courses wave of not.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »

1) separate

2) probably for FN. Last ifop poll showed a (first) disaffection of sarkozy amongst Fn voters, compensed by more favorable views amongst left voters. For now.

But next (2008), it's local elections and a close look on henin beaumont which could play the same role than Dreux in early 80's. briois will first and marine second (she did 45% on the city at the second turn of the legislative).

Paris will be interessant, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille also. And of courses wave of not.

Although Marine Le Pen didn't win in any commune come the second round of voting in Henin-Beaumont (she did win Henin-Beaumont commune round one). Who is the FN candidate there anyways?
Seperate? Could be, although NC-PSLE was formed to participate in the majority, not because they hated Bayrou's guts (although they kind of must now).

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »

1) separate

You forgot cantonales and Senatorial elections.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »

If you're annoyed with the North Eastern Result, I don't know what you'd make of South East:

Con 35% (4 MEP's) = 8.75% per MEP
Lab 14% (1 MEP) = 14% per MEP
LDm 15% (2 MEP's) = 7.5% per MEP
Green 8% (1 MEP) = 8% per MEP
UKIP 20% (2 MEP's) = 10% per MEP

Hardly proportional is it?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 06:31:44 PM »

If you're annoyed with the North Eastern Result, I don't know what you'd make of South East:

Uh?
Angel of Death
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:59:01 PM »

3. The new "commonsense right" from Benelux (PVV in Netherlands and List Decker in Belgium)

PVV commonsense? Oh, please! It's nothing more than an Islamophobic party led by an Israel-firster.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:28 PM »

I hate the system whereby the UK currently elects it's MEPs. F***ing abominable and that's swearing

In 2004, the Northeast voted 34.1% Labour; 18.6% Conservative and 17.8% Lib Dem and what did we get? One Labour, one Tory and a Lib Dem. STV would be preferable to the closed party list system. Indeed, it's the system I find objectionable rather than the result

Dave

The problem is that the Northeast is too small. It should be combined with Yorkshire and The Humber (or with the Northwest, but I think the former would be more popular).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »

It's bleeding awful Angry

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »

Dave

The problem is that the Northeast is too small. It should be combined with Yorkshire and The Humber (or with the Northwest, but I think the former would be more popular).

Of the two, Yorkshire and The Humber is certainly the more logical given that we were once, many moons ago, part of the same Anglo-Saxon kingdom. It still wouldn't change the way I feel about the putrid closed party list system

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies