Midwest Augustesque Elections: Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Augustesque Elections: Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Midwest Augustesque Elections: Discussion  (Read 1011 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »

So, yeah, I was out of town.  And I'm totally using that as my excuse.  But the Midwest has ELECTIONS!  I'll hold them this weekend.

Lieutenant Governor
SPC, you're running right?  Anyone else?

Propositions
Any?  I might want to write something up in case I am unavailable again.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »

Yeah, I'm running again. As for propisitions, how about the creation of the ilikeverin Regional Monument?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »

you might as well rename the entire region Veringia.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:58:32 PM »

Verin Monument Proposition

APPLAUDING the great acts of Governor Ilikeverin,
SEEING a need to honor him and all he has done for the Midwest,
 We of the Midwest officially request the building of a monument of Ilikverin be built in each state's largest city.
The monument may be re inforced with a plaque, park, or additional monuments, as decided by local governments.
No city is allowed to surpass a budget of $10,000.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

Sounds too...sexual.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »

Verin Monument Proposition

APPLAUDING the great acts of Governor Ilikeverin,
SEEING a need to honor him and all he has done for the Midwest,
 We of the Midwest officially request the building of a monument of Ilikverin be built in each state's largest city.
The monument may be re inforced with a plaque, park, or additional monuments, as decided by local governments.
No city is allowed to surpass a budget of $10,000.

XSouth Park Conservative
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »

Hmm, after a quick read of the Midwest Constitution, there doesn't seem to be a clause that grants anyone in particular the powers to run the voting booth!  The Governor can make a special election, but the Governor making the usual election booth is a matter of tradition Smiley

So, SPC, if you notice this again then just send me a PM, and if you can't reach me within about a day then just open the booth yourself.  This also goes for Lieutenant Governors in the future.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »

The Midwest has elections? This is news to me. I've always considered Verin to be like a 12 year old Vladimir Putin.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:36:45 PM »

The Midwest has elections? This is news to me. I've always considered Verin to be like a 12 year old Vladimir Putin.

An amendment was passed earlier this year that provides twice-yearly referenda on whether the Governor should be retained or not.  It requires 75% of the population to vote "no" for the Governor to be kicked out Smiley

However, Jesus has been Governor of the Pacific for longer than I've been Governor of the Midwest.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »

An amendment was passed earlier this year that provides twice-yearly referenda on whether the Governor should be retained or not.  It requires 75% of the population to vote "no" for the Governor to be kicked out Smiley

However, Jesus has been Governor of the Pacific for longer than I've been Governor of the Midwest.

I was just joking though I've always considered the 75% thing to be...highly constitutionally suspect at least. But yeah the Midwest is just par for the course, most of our regions are pretty undemocratic when you look at it. The Pacific hasn't had an election in which the winning candidate wins less than 75% of the vote since August 2004, while approval voting makes the Southeast hard to calculate most governors are elected with high approval, the Mideast hasn't kept up their Wiki elections page, and the Northeast has only had rather contested elections because EarlAW always gets a few people besides himself to write him in for governor.

So basically our regions resemble such bastions of democracy as Russia, Kazakhstan, Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe, oh and let's not forget Venezuela too.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 10:34:01 PM »

Hmm, after a quick read of the Midwest Constitution, there doesn't seem to be a clause that grants anyone in particular the powers to run the voting booth!  The Governor can make a special election, but the Governor making the usual election booth is a matter of tradition Smiley

So, SPC, if you notice this again then just send me a PM, and if you can't reach me within about a day then just open the booth yourself.  This also goes for Lieutenant Governors in the future.

Okay. I tried that once a couple of months ago and got into trouble for it, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »

My Two official Birds one (dig it up, it's in a thread titled Up With Cormorants) should legally be on this ballot.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 02:38:34 PM »

I was just joking though I've always considered the 75% thing to be...highly constitutionally suspect at least. But yeah the Midwest is just par for the course, most of our regions are pretty undemocratic when you look at it. The Pacific hasn't had an election in which the winning candidate wins less than 75% of the vote since August 2004, while approval voting makes the Southeast hard to calculate most governors are elected with high approval, the Mideast hasn't kept up their Wiki elections page, and the Northeast has only had rather contested elections because EarlAW always gets a few people besides himself to write him in for governor.

So basically our regions resemble such bastions of democracy as Russia, Kazakhstan, Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe, oh and let's not forget Venezuela too.

Actually, the Pacific Region had a tie for Lt. Governor last week. My win for Lt. Governor in February 2006 was only with 60% of the vote. Alcon's Lt. Governor win December 2005 was with 70%. Mr. Hobbes' Lt. Governor win in August 2005 was with 58%. Though I suppose you were only referring to the elections for Governor? In that case, what can I say? We have the same election system as Atlasia, preferential voting with majority+1=victory. Because no one has seriously challenged me or my predecessors, that makes us dictators? Perhaps the Pacific is happy with the job their Governor is doing. I don't see why they wouldn't be - I've opened all election voting booths on time, I'm usually the first Governor or one of the first to open voting booths for constitutional amendments, the Pacific Legislature has remained active under my Governorship, I have taken a very active role in the redistricting process, etc. I am still elected every four months with a majority of the vote. I have not gotten rid of elections nor have I required a super majority of Pacificans to oppose me for me to lose, so I hardly see how you can compare me to Verin or those real-life dictators.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »

Nah... the Mideast is more of a failed state. Sadly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2007, 05:24:36 PM by President Colin Wixted »

Though I suppose you were only referring to the elections for Governor?

Yes I was.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well let me be the first to say that you've been a good governor Jesus I was just bemoaning the lack of true competition for not only the Pacific Governor job but for all regional offices. While you haven't gone and become a dictator like Verin it still is quite depressing in my mind that all of our regions have become such centres of entrenched power. At least the Pacific still has some sort of legislative process, while there may not be much opposition to your rule, Jesus, you at least have a working government, unlike the Northeast.

Nah... the Mideast is more of a failed state. Sadly.

Yes the Mideast is rather like Somalia, just with less violence and Christian fundamentalists instead of Islamic ones. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »

I never campaigned for any of my write-in attempts. I just write in myself, and others do the same. If I had campaigned, I would have won of course Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »

Yes the Mideast is rather like Somalia, just with less violence and Christian fundamentalists instead of Islamic ones. Wink

Grin

As it happens I do have some vague long-term intentions regarding the Mideast, but nothing will move on that front while I'm in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies