Southern California/Inland Empire Political History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:44:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Southern California/Inland Empire Political History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern California/Inland Empire Political History  (Read 2504 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »

Can anybody (probably John Ford) give a primer on the political history of San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles counties?
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »

I don't know about San Diego, but Los Angeles county only became reliably Democratic in the 1990's, when it trended strongly to the Democrats. Orange County is strongly Republican, having voted with the Republicans in every election since 1940.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:04:30 AM »

I've never been to California, so I'm in no way an expert, but a few things I've learned:

Los Angeles County, and California as a whole, receieved lots of migrants from the Midwest during the Early-Mid 20th Century. This partly explains why the state used to be much more Republican than it is today. Non-Urban areas of the Midwest are now and have long been favorable to the GOP.

The 3 counties you mentioned were heavily dependent on the defense industry from 1940-1992. This could be why Goldwater won Orange and San Diego, while doing terrible in the rest of the state. After the Cold War ended, these jobs were heavily downsized, with a lot of white collar jobs and people moving to the Mountain West (hence ID, NV, AZ and CO's fast growth in the 90's). Since these people (may) have been more Republican inclined, the state as a whole became more Democratic.

Pete Wilson's disastorous crusade against immigrants in 1994 is still a main reason for California's Democratic edge today.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:54 AM »

Pete Wilson's disastorous crusade against immigrants in 1994 is still a main reason for California's Democratic edge today.

I agree with everything yousaid until this.

First of all, immigration got Pete Wilson re-elected in 1994.  If it had not been for Prop 187, Kathleen Brown would have been Governor of California.  Calling 187 disasterous when it saved the Governor's mansion?  I can't agree with that.

I also don't buy the argument that 187 was short term gain for long term pain.  Republicans don't do any worse in California among Latinos than they do elsewhere.  What evidence is there that in California there is a greater animus towards Republicans among Latinos than elsewhere?  I don't see it.  Its the same state of affairs here as it is everywhere else and has nothing to do with 187.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:35:04 AM »

Pete Wilson's crusade against immigrants in 1994 is still the main reason for Imperial County's Democratic edge.  I agree with John, from my understandings.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:10:54 AM »

I agree with everything yousaid until this.

First of all, immigration got Pete Wilson re-elected in 1994.  If it had not been for Prop 187, Kathleen Brown would have been Governor of California.  Calling 187 disasterous when it saved the Governor's mansion?  I can't agree with that.

I also don't buy the argument that 187 was short term gain for long term pain.  Republicans don't do any worse in California among Latinos than they do elsewhere.  What evidence is there that in California there is a greater animus towards Republicans among Latinos than elsewhere?  I don't see it.  Its the same state of affairs here as it is everywhere else and has nothing to do with 187.

I thought Prop. 187 turned millions of Californian Hispanics against the GOP. I may be wrong, that was just my impression. I know they weren't strong GOP supporters to begin with, but 187 made things much harder.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 04:17:49 AM »

Pete Wilson's crusade against immigrants in 1994 is still the main reason for Imperial County's Democratic edge.  I agree with John, from my understandings.

Actually, I think we disagree unless I misunderstand you.  I am saying that 187 has little at all to do with latinos aligning with the Democratic Party.  Democrats get about the same share of the latino vote in California as in any other state, so I am arguing that 187 did not have some unique effect on California latinos.  Latinos vote Democrat in California in the same proportion as they do elsewhere and they vote that way for the same reason they do elsewhere.  I really doubt that 187 has much to do with anything.

I would also disagree that 187 is responsible for the Democratic edge in Imperial.  Democrats have an edge in Imperial because of latinos voters, yes, but as I've said, I don't attribute their party affiliation to 187, and neither should anyone else.

Its also important to remember when talking about Pete Wilson that in 1994 when he ran for re-election and 187 was on the ballot, latinos were only 9% of the electorate.  In 2004, it was 18%.  So, a huge chunk of the latino vote in this state has little or no memory of Wilson or 187 (In fact, they were not in the electorate at all when 187 was on the ballot).

How can it be true that these voters are Democrats because of 187 when they are unlikely to have much memory of 187?

I thought Prop. 187 turned millions of Californian Hispanics against the GOP. I may be wrong, that was just my impression. I know they weren't strong GOP supporters to begin with, but 187 made things much harder.

As I've said, I just can't agree.  Is there some substantial evidence that latino voters changed their affiliation because of 187?  As far as I can tell, they voted aboiut 2/3rds Democrat before and after Prop 187.  I see no shift in affiliation resulting from 187.

I also can't stress enough that latino voters are not a static group.  Their membership is constantly being expanded by new immigrants, most of whom will be poor and therefore inclined towards the Democratic Party.  Let's say there are 100 members of a group and they vote 50/50 for the Republicans and Democrats.  Then, 20 new members of said group show up and they all vote Democrat.  Suddenly, Democrats have gone from recieving 50% of this fictional group's vote to recieving 58% of the vote.  No individual member of the group changed thier affiliation, but the new members changed the political identity of the group in the aggregate substantially.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »

I'd say that Prop 187 retarded the gains the GOP was making in the Latino community.  But it is merely the Californian symbol for the nativist sentiment of a significant chunk of the GOP that has impeded the party's ability nationally to reach out to the Latino and other ethnic communities.  That sentiment rather than any specific measure is what truly at work here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies