Electoral College: any changes coming? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College: any changes coming? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral College: any changes coming?  (Read 36701 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: December 11, 2003, 01:32:19 PM »

I would prefer a system that gives urban voters their due. People vote, not trees and acres. Elected officials should represent the people, not regional issues. To answer supersoulty, I wish to have a system which respects the equal voting rights of all, not one that says "screw urban people".
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 02:37:44 PM »

I don't feel accountable to this voting bloc. No one is shackling them to where they live. They can always leave, but a stubborn rural determinism prevents them. You think people in Metropolitan Areas don't drive long distances to get to work? Many live in suburbs that are well over an hour away from their home. Th reason why urban areas get more attention than rural areas is because more people live there. If one had to choose between urban and rural America, a logical person would choose urban America for an obvious utilitarian reason that would be in keeping with everyone from nineteenth century theorists like Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, and Henry Mayhew to contemporary pragmatists: It does the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Many people fail to realize that French language and literature was only my undergraduate minor, sociology was my major. In my case studies, I have seen situations that I couldn't have appreciated coming from my background unless I had been there. I have seen families being torn apart from the inside, and women who have had to have sex to get by. I have seen a criminal justice system which was viciously biased against the urban poor, and would lead one to the wholly justified conclusion that there is no such thing as crime, only behaviors which the power structure determines it disfavors, and will punish those who deviate from their paradigm. I have seen deep-seated class resentment, and I know because few would volunteer information because I was not of their social class. People in rural America may be poor, but they are not being strangled by the oppressive weight of societal disfavor, but only by their voluntary behaviors of religious and social conservativism. After all this, one must pose the question: How can anyone, in light of the fact that the government is the only helping hand these people see, deny them the help they need in favor of wasteful farm subsidies and the like? Only a person who willfully overlooks real facts can have such a proclivity which maligns our poor urban masses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies