Electoral College: any changes coming? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:19:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College: any changes coming? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral College: any changes coming?  (Read 36699 times)
jravnsbo

« on: December 01, 2003, 05:05:04 PM »

For an independant to win he would have to be a Perot type.  RICH or accessible to plenty of money, able to get his message out and articulate ideas.

Remember Perot was ahea din 92 when he jumped out, then in and , oh well.

The EC makes it harder for 3rd party candidates.  Nader couldn't even get on the ballot in some states.

jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 03:01:19 PM »

The rurul states don't want NY and CA to run the election and have a system that says "Screw rural people" also.

I would prefer a system that gives urban voters their due. People vote, not trees and acres. Elected officials should represent the people, not regional issues. To answer supersoulty, I wish to have a system which respects the equal voting rights of all, not one that says "screw urban people".
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 11:04:45 PM »

Well grew up on a farma nd still around the communities a lot.  Bush is getting some good press on it lately and Dems are getting blame for blocking the energy bill with the ETHANOL provisions.  At least in the IA, MN and SD newspapers and such out here.

Oh and as for the farm subsidies... most of those go to rich corperate farms anyway.  And only about 4 families in my town farmed.  We weren't all farmers  many of us had low paying manufacturing and service jobs.  And the glass plant that employed a quarterof  the people in my area shut its doors 3 years ago.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 01:37:42 AM »

But founders had to pass electoral college to satisfy the desires of small states back in their days to form the country , among other issues also.

Plus there has always been enough small states to block ratification of any CA.
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 11:11:46 AM »

Well that is why you have the amendment process to change it if neccessary.  But it is made to be tough to do so it doesn't just change on the up and down whims of society.

Isn't it a bit strange to change the EC every 10 years only? If there was a significant demographical change the system could become grossly unfair, with certain states getting heavily overrepresented. Sure, I'm from a country with proportional representation so I'm not that familiar with these things, but it does seem weird to me.

The constitution mandates that every ten years we have a census and reapportionment.

Yes, but just b/c something is in the constitution it isn't necessarily good or right, is it?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies