What if John Kerry was Al Gore's Running Mate in 2000? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:19:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if John Kerry was Al Gore's Running Mate in 2000? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if John Kerry was Al Gore's Running Mate in 2000?  (Read 12505 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: June 11, 2010, 12:20:46 AM »

there were good reasons for Gore to select moderate hero Joe Lieberman for his running mate. an attempt to turn further to the left after 8 years of Clinton would not have fared well.

301 - 237
this result is plausible even if Bush just barely wins a popular plurality

I think Kerry would have helped Gore with Nader voters and energizing the base. I also see Kerry helping Gore with moderates due to his war hero status. I really don't see what Lieberman added to the ticket, considering that Gore himself was a centrist.

Lieberman added Jews in Florida.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »

there were good reasons for Gore to select moderate hero Joe Lieberman for his running mate. an attempt to turn further to the left after 8 years of Clinton would not have fared well.

301 - 237

I think Kerry would have helped Gore with Nader voters and energizing the base. I also see Kerry helping Gore with moderates due to his war hero status. I really don't see what Lieberman added to the ticket, considering that Gore himself was a centrist.

No, he didn't. Gore essentially got the same % of the Jewish vote that Clinton got in 1992 and 1996.

Yes, he did. It was an accomplishment for Gore to increase his share of the Jewish vote by 1% considering the country as a whole shifted 8 points toward the GOP.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

301 - 237

No, he didn't. Gore essentially got the same % of the Jewish vote that Clinton got in 1992 and 1996.

Yes, he did. It was an accomplishment for Gore to increase his share of the Jewish vote by 1% considering the country as a whole shifted 8 points toward the GOP.

Gore got almost the same PV % in 2000 as Clinton did in 1996. Also, Kerry won nearly as much of the Jewish % four years later despite the fact that the country shifted to the right and that Kerry did not have a Jew on his ticket.
As mentioned, Gore went down nationally but went up slightly in Florida.

Also Kerry was the Jew on his ticket.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies