Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?  (Read 23738 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2007, 02:23:23 AM »

I can't think of when it was the last time that an anti-war candidate won a Presidential election during wartime? Nixon wasn't anti-war in '68....Reagan wasn't anti-war in '84.....Bush wasn't anti-war in '04....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 02:29:07 AM »

Typical Naso Hackery.   And the last time a pro-war candidate won when 2/3 of the country wanted out of the war was........
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:29:42 AM »

Typical Naso Hackery.   And the last time a pro-war candidate won when 2/3 of the country wanted out of the war was........

Thanks for sliding the question!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:42:28 AM »

Interesting coming from someone who never answers anyone else's question.  Regardless you seemed to be using this as a way to suggest the GOP will win in 08 because an anti-war candidate hasn't won during a war while completely ignoring the fact no pro-war candidate has ever won during a war as unpopular as this one.

Generally the questions, you ignore are legit, this is just retarded.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:43:44 AM »

1864! Wink
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 02:47:12 AM »

Interesting coming from someone who never answers anyone else's question.  Regardless you seemed to be using this as a way to suggest the GOP will win in 08 because an anti-war candidate hasn't won during a war while completely ignoring the fact no pro-war candidate has ever won during a war as unpopular as this one.

HAHA...I love how you use an opinion as an answer. "A war as unpopular as this one" ... I doubt this is as unpopular as Vietnam or Korea and by the way...a pro-war candidate (Eisenhower and Nixon) both won during those unpopular wars.

So, would you like to try again, pal?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:05:26 AM »

HAHA...I love how you use an opinion as an answer. "A war as unpopular as this one" ... I doubt this is as unpopular as Vietnam or Korea and by the way...a pro-war candidate (Eisenhower and Nixon) both won during those unpopular wars.

Neither Korea in 1952, nor Vietnam in 1968 were as unpopular as Iraq is now.  Neither Stvenston or Humphrey were exactly anti-war candidates either.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:17:13 AM »

In 1952, Eisenhower promised to end (and did get a cease-fire in) the Korean War.

In 1968, Humphrey's main problem in his campaign was that America was still in Vietnam, and he received a massive boost to his campaign when President Johnson announced a bombing halt and a possible peace deal.

If you're going to try to bolster your position, these are not exactly the best example to pick.  In 1952, the Democratic candidate was severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a Democratic president.  In 1968, the Democratic candidate was severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a Democratic president.  If we're going to assume that history will repeat itself, then fill in the blanks: "In 2008, the ________ candidate will be severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a ________ president."

Would you like to try again?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:47 AM »

Which war was this? Unless are you counting the situation where Reagan cut and ran from Lebanon after terrorists killed 243 Marines? I have a cousin who was in the Marines there, and he still hates Reagan for how he handled that.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »

Which war was this? Unless are you counting the situation where Reagan cut and ran from Lebanon after terrorists killed 243 Marines? I have a cousin who was in the Marines there, and he still hates Reagan for how he handled that.

I'm talking about the Cold War...by the way....which side were you on during the Cold War??
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 03:39:14 AM »

I thank Mike Naso for his acknowledgement that I made a good point and that he found himself unable to adequately rebut my statement.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 04:23:21 AM »

Neither Korea in 1952, nor Vietnam in 1968 were as unpopular as Iraq is now.  Neither Stvenston or Humphrey were exactly anti-war candidates either.
Nixon was kind of anti war in 1968.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »

Not really. Infact, Governors Romney, Rockefeller and Reagan ran against Nixon in 1968 for the GOP nomination as the anti-war Republicans. Nixon was not anti-war.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:53:08 AM »

Not really. Infact, Governors Romney, Rockefeller and Reagan ran against Nixon in 1968 for the GOP nomination as the anti-war Republicans. Nixon was not anti-war.

He wasn't anti-war in his heart-of-hearts, but nor is Hillary Clinton. He did, however, campaign strongly against the war during his presidential campaign. Humphrey's promise to Johnson not to campaign against the war would have made 1968 a landslide had Johnson not recanted in the last few months.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2007, 08:58:01 AM by StateBoiler »

I would say Nixon in 1968, as he ran on getting us out of Vietnam. If anyone wants to argue that, fine, it doesn't change the reality of 39 years ago though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You could make an argument for Warren Harding in 1920, who ran anti-League of Nations and all our interventionism Wilson had us in with World War I. So that's "anti-war" of a sort.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »

Eisenhower promised to end the Korean War in 1952.
Nixon promised "Peace with Honor" in 1968.
Bush was pro-war in 2004, but so was his opponent.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

And now, with his arguments hopelessly crushed, Mike Naso will never be seen again in this topic, tacitly admitting defeat. Tongue
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »

And now, with his arguments hopelessly crushed, Mike Naso will never be seen again in this topic, tacitly admitting defeat. Tongue

I'm sorry, are you an American?

In all seriousness, my point stands. The 2008 Democrats are staunchly anti-war...especially Obama and Edwards...and so is the base. If the race is between pro-choice pro-war Hillary and pro-choice pro-war Giuliani...it will be interesting.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

I'm sorry, are you an American?

In all seriousness, my point stands. The 2008 Democrats are staunchly anti-war...especially Obama and Edwards...and so is the base. If the race is between pro-choice pro-war Hillary and pro-choice pro-war Giuliani...it will be interesting.

Your point doesn't stand. I've aleady proven that the anti-war candidate won in 52 and 68, and the main reason they didn't win in 2004 is because none of the anti-war candidates (Badnarik, Cobb, Peroutka, and Nader) were endorsed by a major party. However, it is worth pointing out that only Kucinich, Gravel, and Paul are genuinely anti-war. The rest are only pretending to be for political reasons.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »

Wilson - 1916 - "He kept us out of war."

FDR - 1940 - "I tell you again and again and again I will not send your sons into a foreign war."
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

I'm talking about the Cold War...by the way....which side were you on during the Cold War??

hahahaha....so Carter was pro-war too then?  Kennedy?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »

Ummmmm, the Cold War wasn't an actual war.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »

Of course not, it's just typical Naso hackery logic.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:46 PM »

In 2004 someone said: "The taller candidate has always won."  In 2000, it was "The winner of the popular vote has almost always won the electoral college."  In 1996, it was "No democrat since WW2 has won a second full term."  In 1988, they said "No sitting vice-president has won the White House since Martin van Buren."

History is a tricky temptress.  Trite historical analogies don't fly when it comes to today's politics.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »

LOL

Gabu owns Naso so Naso resorts to the "OMG U RNT AMERCAN SO YOUR OPINION DONT MATTR@!!!" argument.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies