Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?  (Read 23739 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 04:05:27 PM »

Which war was this? Unless are you counting the situation where Reagan cut and ran from Lebanon after terrorists killed 243 Marines? I have a cousin who was in the Marines there, and he still hates Reagan for how he handled that.

I'm talking about the Cold War...by the way....which side were you on during the Cold War??

Kid, you're too young to remember the cold war.   Though I wonder which side you would have been on - had you been born in a different decade and nation.  Given your affinity for hardcore authoritarianism, you probably would have made an excellent Soviet communist - never questioning the party line and shaming your comrades while they drank their vodka and muttered about the miserable working conditions.    Da?

*You do realize that the neo-conservative movement you follow was born out of Trotskyism, don't you? 

** You do also remember who claimed that political power flowed out of the barrel of a gun, comrade.  Don't you.   Stripped of labels, he might also be a hero of yours given your authoritarian mindset.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »

LOL

Gabu owns Naso so Naso resorts to the "OMG U RNT AMERCAN SO YOUR OPINION DONT MATTR@!!!" argument.

What else would you expect from Naso.  Anytime someone points out a fact that goes against his idiotic thought process he completely posts something irrelevent to the point made or doesn't respond at all.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »

In 2004 someone said: "The taller candidate has always won."  In 2000, it was "The winner of the popular vote has almost always won the electoral college."  In 1996, it was "No democrat since WW2 has won a second full term."  In 1988, they said "No sitting vice-president has won the White House since Martin van Buren."

History is a tricky temptress.  Trite historical analogies don't fly when it comes to today's politics.

Very true. Call it the Sesame Street school of thought in political analysis....each of these things is like one of the others.....the idea that we need to figure out which past election the current election is like, and that will tell us what's going to happen.

The reality is that each election is unique, and the issues, candidates, and campaigns can never be and never are duplicated.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 12:25:14 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2007, 02:12:18 AM by got a friend, her name is boxcar... »

Another question:

When's the last time a candidate of the party of the President during an unpopular war won?
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »

Interesting coming from someone who never answers anyone else's question.  Regardless you seemed to be using this as a way to suggest the GOP will win in 08 because an anti-war candidate hasn't won during a war while completely ignoring the fact no pro-war candidate has ever won during a war as unpopular as this one.

[/quote]

um, ever heard of the Vietnam War?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »

Nixon did not run as a pro-war candidate. He promised that he had a secret plan to end the war. Humphrey was seen as more pro-war initially due to his refusal to attack LBJ over it, and would've been absolutely crushed if he didn't backtrack on this in the last few weeks.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 04:59:08 PM »

I can't think of when it was the last time that an anti-war candidate won a Presidential election during wartime? Nixon wasn't anti-war in '68....Reagan wasn't anti-war in '84.....Bush wasn't anti-war in '04....

The whole message of Nixon's '68 campaign was Democrats got us into a sh**tty war and promised to end it.

Another question:

When's the last time a candidate of the party of the President during an unpopular won?

You could say George W. wasn't too popular in 2004.  Hard to tell; there weren't approval rating polls back in the 20s when the Republicans won three straight presidential elections with three different candidates (Harding, Coolidge, Hoover).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »

Interesting coming from someone who never answers anyone else's question.  Regardless you seemed to be using this as a way to suggest the GOP will win in 08 because an anti-war candidate hasn't won during a war while completely ignoring the fact no pro-war candidate has ever won during a war as unpopular as this one.

um, ever heard of the Vietnam War?

[/quote]

I see you ignored the rest of the thread.  For starters nixon did NOT run as a pro-war candidate, he in fact blamed the Democrats for the War.  Humphrey did not run as an anti-war candidate.  Also while Vietnam was unpopular in 1968, it was mostly confined to the liberal wing of the party, it wasn't till a year or two later that moderates views on the war dropped to the anti-war levels they currently have on Iraq. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 02:12:01 AM »

You could say George W. wasn't too popular in 2004.  Hard to tell; there weren't approval rating polls back in the 20s when the Republicans won three straight presidential elections with three different candidates (Harding, Coolidge, Hoover).

Typo, I meant unpopular WAR.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 03:17:44 AM »

Hmm, one interesting thing about Reagan's foreign policy around 1984, is that's around when the United States became the only country found guilty of terrorism, thanks to Reagan's actions in Nicaragua. That war isn't exactly the kind of thing to bring up if you want to pretend that pro-war Republicans are somehow anti-terrorism.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »

Another question:

When's the last time a candidate of the party of the President during an unpopular war won?

Never, although in fairness the sample size is pretty small. The only such elections in the history of polling are 1952 and 1968, but both times the incumbent party candidate did indeed lose.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »

Another question:

Never, although in fairness the sample size is pretty small. The only such elections in the history of polling are 1952 and 1968, but both times the incumbent party candidate did indeed lose.

Yes, but those are basically the examples Naso is using as "proof" an anti-war candidate can never win. Of course he never explains why he's so sure America will never elect an anti-war candidate, even during an unpopular war.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 12:57:29 AM »

This is a rather amusing thread.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 01:42:43 AM »

Which war was this? Unless are you counting the situation where Reagan cut and ran from Lebanon after terrorists killed 243 Marines? I have a cousin who was in the Marines there, and he still hates Reagan for how he handled that.

I'm talking about the Cold War...by the way....which side were you on during the Cold War??

Kid, you're too young to remember the cold war.   Though I wonder which side you would have been on - had you been born in a different decade and nation.  Given your affinity for hardcore authoritarianism, you probably would have made an excellent Soviet communist - never questioning the party line and shaming your comrades while they drank their vodka and muttered about the miserable working conditions.    Da?

*You do realize that the neo-conservative movement you follow was born out of Trotskyism, don't you? 

** You do also remember who claimed that political power flowed out of the barrel of a gun, comrade.  Don't you.   Stripped of labels, he might also be a hero of yours given your authoritarian mindset.

Amazingly true post here.

Naso would have been a loyal Marxist-Leninist.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 02:09:59 AM »

Suddenly, I feel bad for giving Coburn in 2012 such a hard time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know!

2008 Wink

Old threads are so funny.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

1968. Nixon ran as the anti-war candidate before Humphrey did.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 07:59:11 AM »

1968. Nixon ran as the anti-war candidate before Humphrey did.

What the h*ll did you bump this for
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies