Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:13:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last time an anti-war candidate won a Presidential race in wartime?  (Read 23878 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: August 10, 2007, 03:17:13 AM »

HAHA...I love how you use an opinion as an answer. "A war as unpopular as this one" ... I doubt this is as unpopular as Vietnam or Korea and by the way...a pro-war candidate (Eisenhower and Nixon) both won during those unpopular wars.

So, would you like to try again, pal?

In 1952, Eisenhower promised to end (and did get a cease-fire in) the Korean War.

In 1968, Humphrey's main problem in his campaign was that America was still in Vietnam, and he received a massive boost to his campaign when President Johnson announced a bombing halt and a possible peace deal.

If you're going to try to bolster your position, these are not exactly the best example to pick.  In 1952, the Democratic candidate was severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a Democratic president.  In 1968, the Democratic candidate was severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a Democratic president.  If we're going to assume that history will repeat itself, then fill in the blanks: "In 2008, the ________ candidate will be severely dragged down by an unpopular war started by a ________ president."

Would you like to try again?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:39:14 AM »

I thank Mike Naso for his acknowledgement that I made a good point and that he found himself unable to adequately rebut my statement.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

And now, with his arguments hopelessly crushed, Mike Naso will never be seen again in this topic, tacitly admitting defeat. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies