Tony Blair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tony Blair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Tony Blair  (Read 8609 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2004, 01:54:36 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2004, 02:19:58 AM by Sec. Treasury. Ben »

Do you approve or disapprove of the British Prime Minister and his record in foreign and domestic policy.
Just out of Interest Smiley  
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 01:57:35 PM »

Approve. Ben, get on MSN.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 01:57:41 PM »

Do you approve or disapprove of the British Prime Minister and his record in foreign and International Relations?

Ben, why can't there be a "mixed opinion" option? Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 01:58:59 PM »

Do you approve or disapprove of the British Prime Minister and his record in foreign and International Relations?

Ben, why can't there be a "mixed opinion" option? Smiley

Oh wait...I didn't read your post. Concerning foreign policy, I approve. I thought you meant an overall opinion. Then I would be mixed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 07:50:03 AM »

Broadly approve. His domestic agenda has been the best of any P.M since Atlee, IMO
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 10:53:13 AM »

Broadly approve. His domestic agenda has been the best of any P.M since Atlee, IMO

He seems like a good man. I have no clue about his Domestic agenda but I like his Foreign policy beliefs. He seems to be like a British version of Joe Lieberman. Would I be right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 12:13:23 PM »

He seems like a good man. I have no clue about his Domestic agenda but I like his Foreign policy beliefs. He seems to be like a British version of Joe Lieberman. Would I be right?

When it comes down to social issues, he's a liberal. That's the reason why I have a mixed opinion overall concerning Blair.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 12:14:17 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2004, 12:14:40 PM by Senator StatesRights »

Are their any TRUE conservatives in Britian? I can't imagine Scotland and N.Ireland being so liberal. They've been brutalized by the British for years now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 12:16:02 PM »

Are their any TRUE conservatives in Britian? I can't imagine Scotland and N.Ireland being so liberal. They've been brutalized by the British for years now.

They are social liberals, States. Watch Prime Minister's questions tonight on C-Span and when they discuss social issues, you'll see.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 12:22:06 PM »

They are social liberals, States. Watch Prime Minister's questions tonight on C-Span and when they discuss social issues, you'll see.

What time does that come on?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 04:32:26 PM »

Domestic policy has included massive investment in public services, measures to reduce poverty and unemployment, huge (actually unprecedented) constitutional changes (including the creation of a Scottish Parliament, a Welsh Assembly, re-introducing City wide Government in London and abolishing most hereditary peers) and some genuine attempts to end the bloodshed in Northern Ireland.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 05:10:08 PM »

Good things:
 - Northern Ireland peace process
 - Rising investment in public services
 - Devolution in Scotland, Wales & London
 - Kosovo
 - New Deal
 - A more-or-less-healthy economy (compared to the rest of Europe)

Bad things:
 - Tuition fees
 - Blunders over Iraq
 - Geoff f***ing Hoon
 - Charles f***ing Clarke
 - Cowering to the EU-phobic press/not making the case for Europe enough
 - Dissing the 60s. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 05:19:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Top Up system actually helps me, so I'm not complaining Smiley

Would have happend no matter who was in power... actually had hell frozen over in 2001 and Hauge won the election (shudders...) War with Iraq would have happen sooner... a lot sooner methinks...

Is my least favourite cabinet member. How come a stuffed shirt like him gets the MoD, while Kim Howells has never got into the cabinet...

Is as subtle as a sledge hammer

Agreed

He had a point though... the '60's Generation voted in Thatcher and never accomplished anything politically.
MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:04 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2004, 11:14:50 PM by MarkDel »

Tony Blair is my favorite Liberal...ever!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 02:21:33 AM »

Except he's not a liberal. He's a social democrat/third wayer...

probably in his case a third wayer.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 06:20:31 AM »

Brutalised by tge British? They have been brutalising themselves?!?!!?!?!

Britain = England, Scotland and Wales.

I think you mean brutalised by the English Tongue.

----------------

Michael Z, I agree with you on all the positives but disagree with you on top up fees. It means I pay money afterwards when I am working, not up front when I don't have any which is a good thing in my opinion.

Agree with you on all the other things really but Al has a point on Iraq.

-----------------

Bullmoose, I agree with you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 02:04:40 PM »

Approve, definitely. Find very little to disapprove of, actually.

Perhaps trying to make the case for Europe a little too loudly, I wish he'd shut up about that... Wink
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 04:04:07 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2004, 04:09:00 PM by Michael Z »

Michael Z, I agree with you on all the positives but disagree with you on top up fees. It means I pay money afterwards when I am working, not up front when I don't have any which is a good thing in my opinion.

I wasn't talking about top up fees, I was talking about tuition fees per se.

I was in the first year which had to pay university fees. Notwithstanding that I was drowned in the most shambolic bureaucracy imaginable (trust me) in order to attain my loan, and had the right of a grant taken away from me, I'm still in massive debt because of it.

I'm glad they're getting rid of upfront fees. I just wish they would've had that idea when it was my turn to go to uni. Grrr. Angry
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 04:17:32 PM »

I wasn't talking about top up fees, I was talking about tuition fees per se.

I was in the first year which had to pay university fees. Notwithstanding that I was drowned in the most shambolic bureaucracy imaginable (trust me) in order to attain my loan, and had the right of a grant taken away from me, I'm still in massive debt because of it.

I'm glad they're getting rid of upfront fees. I just wish they would've had that idea when it was my turn to go to uni. Grrr. Angry

Tell that to the NUS Wink
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 05:01:35 PM »

I approve of Tony Blair on foreign policy issues. That in and of itself might be enough for Labour to win my vote (if I could vote, of course).
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 09:09:00 AM »

Brutalized by the British? The Scots ARE British. Did you fail geography by any chance?

Yes, we have true conservatives. More than half of the Tory party are true conservatives, that's why they never win elections anymore.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 09:14:19 AM »

Brutalized by the British? The Scots ARE British. Did you fail geography by any chance?

Sorry I meant English. The Scots are not ENGLISH.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 09:23:30 AM »

Sorry I meant English. The Scots are not ENGLISH.

No one here would say they were.
It's worth remembering that the Scots did better out of Imperialism than anyone else...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 05:45:11 AM »

I think the reason the Tories don't win elections is because they are too much on the left. That disencourages their tradicional electorate who either votes for the BNP or the UKIP, or does not vote at all. They should come up with a Project to Return Morals to British Life. Cheesy
Also, they should be much more vocal in their opositon of the EU's ever-increasing regultaions, which are strangling the european economy everywhere, as Milton Friedman warned recently, and they should also be more vocal oposing Blair's increasing statism and defending personal intiative.
I totally disaprove of Blair, he is blatant statist. the only good thing he's ever done was devolution, but that should go farther. More powers should be returned to the counties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 05:57:54 AM »

I think the reason the Tories don't win elections is because they are too much on the left. That disencourages their tradicional electorate who either votes for the BNP or the UKIP, or does not vote at all. They should come up with a Project to Return Morals to British Life. Cheesy
Also, they should be much more vocal in their opositon of the EU's ever-increasing regultaions, which are strangling the european economy everywhere, as Milton Friedman warned recently, and they should also be more vocal oposing Blair's increasing statism and defending personal intiative.
I totally disaprove of Blair, he is blatant statist. the only good thing he's ever done was devolution, but that should go farther. More powers should be returned to the counties.

What's that called? "Third Party by 2005" perhaps?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies