Alaska Results By House District
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alaska Results By House District
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alaska Results By House District  (Read 5784 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:22:44 PM »

These are based on the in-person voting, and absentee and questioned voting.  There was additional early votes that were only reported by one of the four election regions used by the Division of Elections.  These represent roughly 10% of the vote.

Kerry had a majority in Downtown Anchorage, and a plurality in Juneau.  Bush had plurality wins in two districts south of downtown Anchorage, and the Fairbanks district that includes the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Click to Make These Almost Life Sized.

Greater Fairbanks

Greater Anchorage

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »

Very cool.  The bad news is that the numbers don't actually add up to the correct total, everything included.  At least it was that way last year.  I've still been unable to explain it.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:20:09 AM »

Very cool.  The bad news is that the numbers don't actually add up to the correct total, everything included.  At least it was that way last year.  I've still been unable to explain it.
The totals for each house district include early voting results which were collected by region or sub-region, where each region or sub-region covers multiple districts.  The regional counts are repeated for each applicable district.  But I excluded the early voting results. 

I used the precinct (election day votes), the absentee votes, and the question votes.  If you add in the early votes (about 25 different combinations) only once you will get the statewide totals.

I don't know why the early votes were not distributed by house district.  The regional early votes did include votes for the individual house elections, so not all are simply statewide votes.

The question votes might not be correctly attributed to house district, especially in Anchorage.  A relatively large share of question votes in Anchorage were statewide ballots only.  In other places they were almost all full ballots.  In Anchorage it may have been physically possible to go to the wrong precinct and be in a different house district.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:41:58 AM »

Hmm, thanks for that explanation.  I've been wondering.  Hopefully I'll be awake enough to comprehend it tomorrow.  Smiley
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 03:33:18 AM »

Hmm, thanks for that explanation.  I've been wondering.  Hopefully I'll be awake enough to comprehend it tomorrow.  Smiley
Region 1 is the southern area, including House districts 1-5 in the panhandle, and 33-36 south of Angchorage (Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island, mainland Aleutian Peninsula).

1819 R1 early votes were cast for president, and they show up in the district count for all 9 districts.  But if you look at the R1 early votes for state house they vary greatly by district and they total 1819.  These were cast at the regional office in Juneau and 95.9% were for the two Juneau house districts.   3.8% were for the other 3 panhandle districts, and 0.3% (5 votes) for the 4 districts south of Anchorage.

So when people voted early at the regional office, they had the ballot for their house district, but for some reason their presidential votes went into a regionwide pool.  Perhaps they used paper ballots, and then gave voters separate ballots for their house race, senate race (in 1/2 the districts), judicial districts, and statewide races.

Note there is a similar pattern for the other 3 regions.  Region 2 is districts 13-32 in the Anchorage area and to the north.  Most of the early votes were in the Anchorage districts.  Region 3 is districts 6-12 in the interior, with most early votes in the Fairbanks districts.  Region 4 is districts 37-40 on the west and north coasts.  Only 94 regional votes were cast in Nome, and 90 of these were from the district that included Nome.

The totals that I used represent between 84% and 99.9% of the votes cast by district.

For the 2006 election, the early votes were broken out by district, so the elections division must have responded to complaints.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:43 AM »

If I summed right, of the population of Alaska in 2000, there were living...
300,637 in consolidated City & Boroughs (Anchorage, Juneau, Sitka, Yakutat)
244,492 in Boroughs, of which
95,963 in Cities
148,529 outside Cities
81,803 in the unorganized Borough, of which
61,054 in Cities
20,749 outside Cities (and thus entirely without local government)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies