should foie gras be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:03:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should foie gras be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: should foie gras be legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: should foie gras be legal?  (Read 4698 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 12:03:39 AM »

Although I'm sure it'd be quite good to eat, for ethical reasons I do support the ban on it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:59 AM »

The arguement that forcefeeding ducks/geese is a detriment to their health is a laughable arguement, considering that they're being bred solely to be killed.

That doesn't mean their life should be a torturous existence up to the point of death.  It seems perfectly possible to give your animals a decent standard of living up until the point of killing them for their meat.

But of course, this would require humans to recognize that animals are actually living beings who can feel pain and pleasure, which is not likely to happen anytime soon. Tongue

Well, I don't know I necessarily agree that being force over-fed is torture.  Pretty uncomfortable, yeah, but it's not torture.  The real torture often comes during the overly-speedy killing process, where an animal is mortally wounded and often skinned before it has completely died.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 12:37:10 AM »

Yes, it should be legal.

The arguement that forcefeeding ducks/geese is a detriment to their health is a laughable arguement, considering that they're being bred solely to be killed.

The means of making it aren't great, but then again, if you're going to ban this, you'll probably wind up having to ban every single meat on the planet for the same kind of cruelty concerns.

The argument that "we kill other animals, too" doesn't fly. We don't force-feed any other animals to the point of their stomachs exploding, either. It isn't about being detrimental to their health, it's about the torture aspect.

I will admit that it's a fuzzy logic argument with no absolute line, but isn't everything? (If everything isn't, then you're using fuzzy logic to say so... ha!)

I hope you don't eat chicken.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

No. The practice of force-feeding a goose against its will doesn't rest well with me

Dave
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »

Yes, it should be legal.

The means of making it aren't great, but then again, if you're going to ban this, you'll probably wind up having to ban every single meat on the planet for the same kind of cruelty concerns.

The argument that "we kill other animals, too" doesn't fly. We don't force-feed any other animals to the point of their stomachs exploding, either. It isn't about being detrimental to their health, it's about the torture aspect.

I will admit that it's a fuzzy logic argument with no absolute line, but isn't everything? (If everything isn't, then you're using fuzzy logic to say so... ha!)

What? Kept in small pens, fed lots of corn mixed with steroids, then have their heads chopped off? I have been in an industrial chicken coop before. That's bad, but not nearly so bad.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »

Yes, it should be legal.

What? Kept in small pens, fed lots of corn mixed with steroids, then have their heads chopped off? I have been in an industrial chicken coop before. That's bad, but not nearly so bad.

Chickens are about the easiest of the animals to kill.  After all, you can't just cut a cow's head off.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 11:48:27 AM »

Yes, it should be legal.

Chickens are about the easiest of the animals to kill.  After all, you can't just cut a cow's head off.

Well, maybe YOU can't.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »

Most slaughterers just have a very large hammer that hits the cow square between the eyes. And actually when a cow dies under stress the meat is much better tasting and better quality then the meat of cows that have been relaxed and "humanely" slaughtered. Being that I work in a part of my industry where meat is the most moved commodity I know quite a few quality control people and buyers who regularly visit slaughter houses.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 12:32:24 PM »

Most slaughterers just have a very large hammer that hits the cow square between the eyes. And actually when a cow dies under stress the meat is much better tasting and better quality then the meat of cows that have been relaxed and "humanely" slaughtered.
So if we smack you between the eyes with a large hammer, will you taste better?

Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:18 PM »

Most slaughterers just have a very large hammer that hits the cow square between the eyes. And actually when a cow dies under stress the meat is much better tasting and better quality then the meat of cows that have been relaxed and "humanely" slaughtered.
So if we smack you between the eyes with a large hammer, will you taste better?

Cheesy

An Opebo comment just came to mind, but nah, I won't say it. hahahaha
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »

I personally don't eat any meat except for line-caught wild tuna.  Am I allowed to hold an opinion on the subject? Tongue
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:53 PM »

I bet Terri Schiavo would have been delicious.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »

I'll agree that concerns for the long term health of an animal that's going to be slaughtered in a couple of weeks is silly. I'm not convinced that the force-feeding method described is necessarily torture, so I'll say it should be legal.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »

Of course, even though I prefer just plain duck meat in general.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »

Not really sure, but I'll certainly never eat it. Ditto with veal.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

Not really sure, but I'll certainly never eat it. Ditto with veal.
Veal is good. The cruelty makes it taste that much sweeter.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 02:29:43 AM »

This being an issue goes too far. Ducks aren't people for goodness sake and you don't eat your pets.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »

Yes it should be legal, but it looks disgusting. Ick.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies