Opposition wins Kazakh Legislative Election!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:01:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opposition wins Kazakh Legislative Election!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opposition wins Kazakh Legislative Election!  (Read 2710 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:14:20 AM »

Haha, made you look!

Of course they didn't, Nazarbayev's won 88.05% and the opposition 4.62%. The question is- will the opposition keep its only seat?

In 2004, the Fatherland party barely won 60%, the Democratic Party won 12% (now they won 3%)

http://election.kz/portal/page?_pageid=153,511661&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »

Haha, made you look!

Of course they didn't, Nazarbayev's won 88.05% and the opposition 4.62%. The question is- will the opposition keep its only seat?

In 2004, the Fatherland party barely won 60%, the Democratic Party won 12% (now they won 3%)

http://election.kz/portal/page?_pageid=153,511661&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

I was about to say, Russia Today reported that it was a clean sweep. 90% for Nazabayev and no other party getting the 7% needed for a seat
Jens
Angola

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »

Yet another joke election in Central Asia
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:28:29 PM »

Is it really surprising that Central Asian elections are jokes?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 03:58:27 PM »

Looks like Borat was right about his country after all. Wink
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:04:18 PM »

Is it really surprising that Central Asian elections are jokes?

Kyrgyzstan.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:44:15 PM »

Clean sweep for the ruling party, but apparently the elections are 'improving'. At this rate, they will have free and fair multi-party elections in about 50 years; so roughly a Japanese timeline Wink
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:49:20 PM »

Clean sweep for the ruling party, but apparently the elections are 'improving'. At this rate, they will have free and fair multi-party elections in about 50 years; so roughly a Japanese timeline Wink

Even the LDP never won 88% of the vote, nor do I think they rigged elections (at least not in a widespread fashion).
kireev

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:11:38 PM »

I read some exit-polls all giving Nazarbayev's party around 80% of the vote. I don't even see the point to rig the election, but they do it anyway – I guess it’s a reflex. Also, the oppositional “Ak Zhol” split up a couple of years ago and the “moderate” faction is now in charge, so Nazarbayev was not really against this party being present in the parliament.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »

So they say. I'm somehow not convinced even their election are 100% clean.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:45:25 AM »

So much for "Free Elections" in nations of the former Soviet Union. I guess they don't know what life would be like without a Dictator.

I wonder why President Nazarbayev's party, would bother rigging an election when they know they're going to defeat their opponents by 60 percentage points. I think Nazarbayev's Government is trying to get up from 124th on the Corruption list to number 1, so they can be famous for something else than Borat.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »

So much for "Free Elections" in nations of the former Soviet Union. I guess they don't know what life would be like without a Dictator.

I wonder why President Nazarbayev's party, would bother rigging an election when they know they're going to defeat their opponents by 60 percentage points. I think Nazarbayev's Government is trying to get up from 124th on the Corruption list to number 1, so they can be famous for something else than Borat.

The election results are worthless since they were rigged, if it had been free, it would have been much closer. And the opposition would have had gained seats.

Actually, on the corruption index, 1 is the best score, 163 being the worst. Kazakhstan is 111 and to be 163rd you need to beat other charming government, such as Sudan, Haiti, Belarus, Iraq, the DRC. Its not like they're the only nation wanting to be last.
kireev

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »

Wow, what a generalization. Nations of the former Soviet Union include countries with freedom level ranging from 1 (highest) to 7 (lowest) according to the Freedom House.

kireev

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:43 PM »

Doubt it. I wish it was true, but I just don't see that. No polls, no exit polls suggested that. There was an intrigue whether "Ak Zhol" would get more than 7% of the vote in order to get into the Parliament, but that's about it. All polls gave Nazarbayev's party about 80%. But even "Ak Zhol" presence in the parliament would not change much. Ak Zhol was represented in the previous parliament elected in 2004, since then it became even more moderate opposition.

[/quote]

The election results are worthless since they were rigged, if it had been free, it would have been much closer. And the opposition would have had gained seats.
[/quote]
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »

Wow, what a generalization. Nations of the former Soviet Union include countries with freedom level ranging from 1 (highest) to 7 (lowest) according to the Freedom House.

Of course its a huge and awful generalization, just look at Lithuania, Estonia, or Latvia. And compare them with Turkmenistan and Belarus.

Oh, and Kireev, you forgot to post this Tongue

http://www.electoralgeography.com/en/countries/k/kazakhstan/2007-legislative-election-kazakhstan.html

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 08:41:26 AM »

OMG ! Shocked

Look at the light blue coloured Aral Sea. It seems this important swing area, populated with dying and poisoned fish, finally voted for the Kazakh opposition and they even allied with the upset caviar sturgeons in the Caspian Sea to defeat the autocratic Nazarbayev !

Just WOW !
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 09:30:12 AM »

Almaty City voted the least for Nur-Otan, giving only 62% to the party! OMG!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies