Daily Mirror rumbled after it tries to inflitrate Conservative Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Daily Mirror rumbled after it tries to inflitrate Conservative Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daily Mirror rumbled after it tries to inflitrate Conservative Party  (Read 1487 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=476250&in_page_id=1770&ito=newsnow

http://www.iaindale.blogspot.com/

''Caroline Spelman had advertised a secretary and received an application from twenty five year old Emily Miller, who claimed to work for a charity called Asha, who were one of her referees. Something on her CV struck an eagle-eyed CCHQ employee as odd and when they did some background checks they found that someone called Emily Miller had had a byline on a Daily Mirror story. CCHQ did a computer check and discovered that her Hotmail account had been accessed from a Daily Mirror computer.

She had explained in an interview how much she admired David Cameron and also praised John Redwood's proposals. She was asked to a second interview on Friday when Ms Miller was asked if she was interested in the media.

On her CV she made no mention of her interest in the media yet at Oxford she made great play of some work experience she had undertaken with a TV company.

She was then asked what she thought of the Daily Mirror. She mirrored the experience of most of us and described it as "really irritating". Asked if she was the same Emily Miller who worked for the Daily Mirror she completely denied it. However when faced with the computer evidence she knew the game was up and asked to leave.''
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

They should be happy that taxpayer money isn't involved. When Democratic groups get infiltrated here in the US, taxpayer money is involved.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 04:22:50 PM »

Proof, were it needed, that we are now into the depths of the Silly Season.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »

They should be happy that taxpayer money isn't involved. When Democratic groups get infiltrated here in the US, taxpayer money is involved.

Are you ever "off."
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »

Proof, were it needed, that we are now into the depths of the Silly Season.

It's always silly season for the Daily Mirror. It's quite possibly the worst of a bad bunch; you find more balanced and intellectual opinion in the 'comments' Box from the girls on Page 3. Last time they were caught raiding David Cameron's bins to see how many disposable nappies he used knowing there would be 'alot' because of his baby and disabled son.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »

Generally speaking, I like the Daily Mirror . Although steadfastly loyal to Labour, it can be highly critical of the government. I don't agree with it's anti-war in Iraq stance.

It doesn't like the Conservative Party, however, and is, like myself, very sceptical as far as David Cameron is concerned. That said, this is kind of thing is a bit much Sad and I don't condone it

Dave
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »

It doesn't like Conservatives to the extent it raids through their rubbish. It had a very black and white view of politics to the extent it forgets its own principles to try and smear Conservative politicians and their families. The Daily Mirror is the standard bearer for 'stupid journalism.' It's sister paper in Scotland, the Daily Record is a paper which is unsubtly anti-Catholic, homophobic and anti intellectual which hounded Donald Dewar to his grave yet waxed lyrical about him after his death. It targeted Jack McConnell when he ran against McLeish, yet loved him when he became leader a year later and slaughtered Wendy Alexander when she stood against Section 28 and now...well you can guess how sycophantic it has become Grin
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:31:57 AM »

It doesn't like Conservatives to the extent it raids through their rubbish. It had a very black and white view of politics to the extent it forgets its own principles to try and smear Conservative politicians and their families. The Daily Mirror is the standard bearer for 'stupid journalism.' It's sister paper in Scotland, the Daily Record is a paper which is unsubtly anti-Catholic, homophobic and anti intellectual which hounded Donald Dewar to his grave yet waxed lyrical about him after his death. It targeted Jack McConnell when he ran against McLeish, yet loved him when he became leader a year later and slaughtered Wendy Alexander when she stood against Section 28 and now...well you can guess how sycophantic it has become Grin

Daily Record sucking up to Wendy Alexander now is it?

I don't think any of the popular press are particularly renowned for anything other than 'stupid journalism'. I wouldn't in all fairness single out the Daily Mirror

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 11:38:25 AM »

All tabloids are equally capable of being vile; coded (and not so coded) racism (directed against everyone from recent immigrants to (when Kinnock was Labour leader) the Welsh) is the favoured sin of the right-wing tabloids (although they are more than capable of using more traditional forms of bigotry, such as veiled anti-semitism or not-veiled-at-all attacks on Gypsies), while the Mirror seems to prefer stupid stunts (like this one... or that evil Iraq abuse thingy a few years ago).
The Murdoch press does both, of course.

And they are all more than capable of dropping any principles they claim to have in order to better fit in with the political views of their owners. The Murdoch press does this the most and the most openly, but it happens with other papers as well. Maxwell (for one) was always careful to make sure that the Mirror gave him the sort of political power he never had when he was an M.P.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:33 PM »

It always amazes me the complete snot that Britons put up with from their newspapers, at least compared to here. True, we have our own yellow journalism in the form of Hearst and Pulitzer and maybe a couple modern-day papers and TV channels, but somehow we reached a point here where papers were not allowed to publicly spew vitriol on the party they did not like (covert disdain like the New York Times and Fox News notwithstanding, but at least it's not obvious to a 5-year-old).

I've always wondered why that news culture is acceptable in Britain. Anyone? I think American news orgs should be more open in stating their biases if they tend to be conservative or liberal as opposed to claiming pure independence and integrity cause we know they're not, but I don't think it would be acceptable to a person of any poltical stripe for the New York Post to front-page their election day paper with the headline "If John Edwards win today, will the last person to leave America turn out the lights?" either.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »

"Objective" Journalism is a product of the post-WWII to 1960s elite consensus on alot of issues. It's slowly fading but will take a while to fully die.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »

Why do people still read those comics books for adults?

And until I came over here I struggled to believe that the Daily Sport was actually real. Now I know better...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies