Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 64
Author Topic: Ireland General Discussion  (Read 280257 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »

No. Not really.
The Government has been weathered and weakened by the recent budget, but they have very definitely survived. Their long-term survival has taken a serious hit and an election at some point in 2009 can't be ruled out, but short of <insert unforeseen event here/>, the Government doesn't appear to be in any immediate danger.

Unless someone talks sanity to John Gormley..

So that's a no then.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: December 05, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »

Could the Greens do what Labour did and switch coalitions?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2008, 05:39:57 AM »

No for a coalition to form FG-LAB would not just need the Greens, but also SF and some of the independents. Which is unlikely (and a couple of the independents are essentially in government anyway).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »

No for a coalition to form FG-LAB would not just need the Greens, but also SF and some of the independents. Which is unlikely (and a couple of the independents are essentially in government anyway).

Yeah.
The numbers aren't there. FG + Lab + Green = 77.
50% of the Dáil is 83. I could see them cobbling together some independents, but short of a series of by-election defeats (but given how long FF are putting off the Dublin South by-election, it looks like they'd be all too comfortable carrying vacancies) the only way this coalition would take over is via a general election.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2008, 05:44:54 PM by The Man Machine »

I went down with a not-too-bad but still annoying case of food poisoning over the past week: due (probably) to some dodgy sausages (I'm okay now, but I've hardly eaten in the past three days and any case, it was probably self-induced poisoning because I'm an idiot) so it is no surprise to me what has been found:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

Disaster. Complete and utter disaster.
Goodness knows what the long-term implications for the pig industry is.

I'll have to find out more about the possible health consequences before seeing whether it was negligent/immoral not to have released this information sooner.

Angry
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

Disaster. Complete and utter disaster.
Goodness knows what the long-term implications for the pig industry is.

I'll have to find out more about the possible health consequences before seeing whether it was negligent/immoral not to have released this information sooner.

Angry

Yet you have to admit it wasn't particularly surprised. Even if I hadn't poisoned myself the week this came out, I wouldn't have been shocked. I usually eat pork twice a week (If not more).

Furthermore stuff like this always happens when you least want it too, like now. At least this will distract people from the recession story.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »

Yet you have to admit it wasn't particularly surprised. Even if I hadn't poisoned myself the week this came out, I wouldn't have been shocked. I usually eat pork twice a week (If not more).

Truth be known, I was really shocked.
I thought the agri-industry was passed this. Contaminated feed! It's the same mistakes all over again. There are still countries where Irish beef isn't allowed in because of BSE. This is a half-billion euro a year industry issuing a massive recall because of a significant health concern  - a complete disaster for pig farmers, another kick to rural Ireland. Angry

Furthermore stuff like this always happens when you least want it too, like now. At least this will distract people from the recession story.

I doubt it will distract. It just adds into a feeling of inept government.

The recession stories are overbearing and show no sign of stopping - 40,000 protesting education budget cuts today, the banks deciding not to pass on the interest rate cut despite the Government which recently saved their asses urging them to do so, more job losses no doubt, pensions crisis continues, more worrying statistics and trends, etc. ad nauseum.

All this not too mention the Government will announce this week it's intent to run Lisbon II so that hopefully Europe will stop being pissed at us and so letting the kooks out of whatever shadowy place they reside between these referenda to once again harp on about the EU coming to abort your babies and conscript those who somehow survive into fighting distant hellish wars, while the Government tries to turn an unreadable tome on the procedures of Europe into a document on which no doubt we'll be told our entire economic future depends.

All the while increasing the chances of Enda Kenny getting the top job...

We are not amused.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »

Aahh.. I mangled my words there. I meant to say it would distract the meeja from the OMG OMG OMG RECESSION OMG story.

Anyway the major reason I'm surprised is because it is Irish farmers we are talking about. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but they don't have good PR men.

Apparently all the farms where this contaminated feed was used were in the South-East.

What an incredible story of ineptitude. And where the hell are the Greens in all this.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »

Anyway the major reason I'm surprised is because it is Irish farmers we are talking about. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but they don't have good PR men.

Mmmm...Certainly I don't think the IFA have done a fantastic job in recent times. I'm not willing to jump up and down on Irish farmers yet. They never really saw the Celtic Tiger and have been being squeezed year on year. I'm more and more surprised that so many are still able to carry on given the economic pressures they're under.

I'll have to wait and see for more details on the feed angle on this though.

What an incredible story of ineptitude. And where the hell are the Greens in all this.

From RTÉ:
Minister of State for Food Policy Trevor Sargent said the Government had acted swiftly to deal with the situation. Mr Sargent said the affected animal feed had been banned and the pig production units using it had been restricted. He said he would be working with An Bord Bia to ensure that quality pigmeat products - including those organically certified - can be brought back into the market as quickly as possible.

Nothing surprising there. The Greens haven't had any substantial impact on Agriculture yet, despite having Sargent working there. They've been either unwilling or unable to impose their ideology on the government as the PDs had so successfully done for 10 years. Very disappointing.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #335 on: December 11, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »

Lisbon II: Next October -- PA Report

As expected, the Government will be seeking that all member states retain a commissioner as well as assurances regarding abortion, neutrality, taxation and workers' rights.
Given soundings in recent days, this should all be achieveable.

I still think at this point that a second no vote is the most likely outcome, but TPTB have 10 months to get people onside. Watch this space...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »

They must be desperate if the only option they can think of is "WE NEEDZ ANOTHER REFERENDUMB!!1111". I'm already preparing for its epochal fail come next Autumn. Especially if the economy stays the way it is (or rather the media going OMG OMG OMG RECESSION OMG) and Cowen maintains his current stellar popularity.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »

They must be desperate if the only option they can think of is "WE NEEDZ ANOTHER REFERENDUMB!!1111". I'm already preparing for its epochal fail come next Autumn. Especially if the economy stays the way it is (or rather the media going OMG OMG OMG RECESSION OMG) and Cowen maintains his current stellar popularity.

'Right guys, it's failed a second time. We really need to think of what to do next'

'A third referendum?

'My god you're brilliant'
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »

Strong language from within the Greens on the resignation of the head of the Equality Authority due to enforced budget cuts -- PA Report
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #339 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »

Independent TD, Tony Gregory (i-Dublin Central) has died today from cancer. Gregory has been a long standing, very effective independent TD for one of the most socially deprived areas in the country. The Gregory Deal of 1982 secured massive investment for the constituency in return for his propping up the Haughey Government.

- Irish Times report
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #340 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »

Rest In Peace.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »

The Green Party has lost two Councillors in consecutive days.

Chris O'Leary and Bronwen Maher, councillors in Cork and Dublin respectively (both Dáil candidates in 2007), have resigned the party and will be contesting the upcoming local elections as Independents. Both opposed the Greens entering the coalition and have voiced criticism of various decisions of the party and government since that time. Cllr. O'Leary in particular criticised the Greens' leadership for their "stay-in-Government-at-all-costs" agenda.

In the last local elections in 2004, O'Leary and Maher were 2 of the 18 successful County Council candidates (up from 8 in 1999). The next local elections will be this June.

- The Irish Times
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #342 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »

The Oireachtas Library have added a nice feature to the Oireachtas website - constituency profiles.

Based on the 2006 Census figures, the profiles compare (in tabular and graphical form) the constituencies with national averages in a range of areas including age, disability, ethnicity, religion, education, employment, etc.

For anyone interested, the profiles for the constituencies with by-elections this June are here: Dublin Central and Dublin South - which offer up two very different electorates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »

Chris O'Leary and Bronwen Maher, councillors in Cork and Dublin respectively (both Dáil candidates in 2007)
Also rans, or nearish misses?

The Oireachtas Library have added a nice feature to the Oireachtas website - constituency profiles.

Doesn't seem to be working, or at least the big constituency in the northeast doesn`t.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »

Chris O'Leary and Bronwen Maher, councillors in Cork and Dublin respectively (both Dáil candidates in 2007)
Also rans, or nearish misses?

Also rans - though Maher fell far short of potential.
O'Leary was the Greens' only elected representative in Munster.

Doesn't seem to be working, or at least the big constituency in the northeast doesn`t.

Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

I know it's because the economy has been destroyed but I'm still going to gloat THIRD PLACE!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0213/1233867935600.html

Irish Times/TNS mrbi poll:
FF: 22% (down 5%)
FG: 32% (down 2%)
Lab: 24% (up 10%)
SF 9% (up 1%)
Greens: 4% (-)
Inds 9% (down 4%)

Proof that perception is reality.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #346 on: March 16, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »

Big shake-up in the junior ministerial ranks today. The number of Junior Government Ministers has been a source of some criticism for a while now, some of the roles being seen as having little real function but granting significant perks to the office holders.

The number of posts was cut from 20 to 15 - with 7 demotions and 2 promotions from the backbenches. The changes all relate to Fianna Fáil members, the Greens' lone Junior Minister (Trevor Sargent [Dublin N] retains Horticulture and Food. There's a definite sense that loyalty and sticking to the party line (something Mr Cowen has been very clear in demanding) was a key factor. John McGuinness (Carlow-Kilkenny) wandered from the party line to outline his rather strongly held opinions on public sector pay and productivity; Jimmy Devins (Sligo-N Leitrim) may have been deemed too even-handed over the decisions relating to cancer care in Sligo;...

In the midst of continuing dire economic doom and gloom, Mr Cowen this evening has clearly isolated a rump of newfound backbenchers. We'll see if that has repercussions later...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:39 AM »

Dr. Jimmy Devins and Eamonn Scanlan (both Sligo-Leitrim N) have resigned the Fianna Fáil whip over their opposition to cuts to breast cancer services at Sligo General Hospital.
- Irish Times

I presume they will continue to vote with the Government, but nonetheless it underlines the increasing difficulty of holding together a majority at a time of very sizable cuts to public expenditure, with still much more to come.

New Dáil Composition:
Fianna Fáil72(-2)
Fine Gael52
Labour20
Greens6
Sinn Féin4
Progressive Democrats2
Independents8(+2)
Ceann Comhairle (Speaker)1
Vacant1(Donegal SW)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »

While most of the independents will vote with the government that is pretty much the end of the majority.

I expect an election within the year tbh.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies