Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:06:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 64
Author Topic: Ireland General Discussion  (Read 280084 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »

Can the Dáil force out cabinet members, or was the vote of confidence simply advisory?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2010, 07:05:02 AM »

Can the Dáil force out cabinet members, or was the vote of confidence simply advisory?

Good question - I'm not sure.

I'm not aware of a motion of confidence against an individual Minister having ever been won by the opposition. Though politically, the position of any such Minister would presumably be untenable, constitutionally, Ministers serve at the pleasure of the Taoiseach.

It may be complicated depending on whether one considers the confidence motion to indicate that the Taoiseach has lost majority support in the Dáil...
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

And the heads keep on coming...

Trevor Sargent (Green-Dublin N) has this evening resigned his post as Minister of State for Food and Horticulture. In a story broken only a few hours ago by the Evening Herald, Sargent wrote letters (back around June 2008) asking a prosecuting Garda to drop a criminal prosecution against one of his constituents. (The case proceeded and the man was subsequently convicted on a charge of threatening and abusive behaviour.)

Sargent is the former Green Party leader and TD since 1992 (when he was the sole Green TD). He was the safest Green seat going into the last election - but no such thing exists now.

I'm not sure which is more surprising, the Sargent letter, or that the Evening Herald appear to actually have journalists on staff.

---

In other news, Mark Dearey (one of only 3 Greens to get elected at the local elections in 2007) has been appointed to the Seanad to replace Deirdre de Búrca, following her recent resignation - thus restoring the Government majority in that chamber to 6.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »

Good question - I'm not sure.

I'm not aware of a motion of confidence against an individual Minister having ever been won by the opposition. Though politically, the position of any such Minister would presumably be untenable, constitutionally, Ministers serve at the pleasure of the Taoiseach.

It may be complicated depending on whether one considers the confidence motion to indicate that the Taoiseach has lost majority support in the Dáil...
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, I see. Votes of confidence on ministers are something that I've only heard of in Weimar.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

Change Places!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »

Grin
Any suggestions for which cabinet member is the Mad Hatter, the Dormouse, the March Hare, and Alice?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #431 on: February 25, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »

Grin
Any suggestions for which cabinet member is the Mad Hatter, the Dormouse, the March Hare, and Alice?

Elementary, my dear Jas... The Mad Hatter is Cowen, The Dormouse is Coughlan, The March Hare is the rest of the cabinet several times over and Alice is the whole country embodied in one girl (and the white rabbit would of course be a property developer)...

Don't even ask who Tweedledum and Tweedledee are...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #432 on: March 08, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »

Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism, Martin Cullen (FF-Waterford) has resigned from Cabinet and the Dáil due to a back ailment that has been troubling him in recent months. That he was going to be leaving the cabinet was no surprise - the story has been foreshadowed for some time. (Indeed, it was quite possible he could have been removed involuntarily in the upcoming reshuffle anyway.) But the resignation of his Dáil seat is a surprise and quite significant - narrowing the Government majority and bringing on another unwinable by-election.

The new Dáil math...

Current Dáil Composition
Fianna Fáil71(-1)
Fianna Fáil (without whip)  3
Fine Gael51
Labour20
Greens  6
Sinn Féin  4
Independents  7
Ceann Comhairle (Speaker)  1
Vacant  3(+1) (Donegal SW, Dublin S, Waterford)

Government84(FF + unwhipped FF + Green + Harney, Grealish, Healy Rae, Lowry)
Opposition78(FG + Lab + SF + O'Sullivan, McGrath, Behan)
Majority  6
Kevinstat

« Reply #433 on: March 10, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »

[Cullen's] resignation of his Dáil seat is a surprise and quite significant - narrowing the Government majority and bringing on another unwinable by-election.

I imagine that by-election will also not be held until "the back end of the year" at the earliest, but would you care to try and handicap that by-election this far out.  Also, how about those in Donegal SW and Dublin S?  You said on January 31 that you figured Fine Gael would be most likely to take that seat (or more likely than Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil which are the only other two parties of note that seem to exist in that area, although there are always Independent candidates), but that was before George Lee's embarrassing (for Fine Gael at least) resignation from both Fine Gael and the Dáil.  Labour would seem like the favorites (heavy favorites") in Dublin South, while Donegal SW would be an FG-SF battle which might hinge on whether Fine Gael has pulled itself back together by then.  The situation in Waterford would seem to be similar to that in Donegal SW except (hold on before you freek out) replace SF with Labour.  But I'd be interested in hearing your analysis.  Thanks.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #434 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »

[Cullen's] resignation of his Dáil seat is a surprise and quite significant - narrowing the Government majority and bringing on another unwinable by-election.

I imagine that by-election will also not be held until "the back end of the year" at the earliest, but would you care to try and handicap that by-election this far out.  Also, how about those in Donegal SW and Dublin S?  You said on January 31 that you figured Fine Gael would be most likely to take that seat (or more likely than Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil which are the only other two parties of note that seem to exist in that area, although there are always Independent candidates), but that was before George Lee's embarrassing (for Fine Gael at least) resignation from both Fine Gael and the Dáil.  Labour would seem like the favorites (heavy favorites") in Dublin South, while Donegal SW would be an FG-SF battle which might hinge on whether Fine Gael has pulled itself back together by then.  The situation in Waterford would seem to be similar to that in Donegal SW except (hold on before you freek out) replace SF with Labour.  But I'd be interested in hearing your analysis.  Thanks.

Waterford should be a FG gain. Labour, as you rightly say, should be the main competition - but it should be a fairly fragmented vote on the left between them, Sinn Féin and the Workers' Party. If the local elections last year are anything to go by however, the Fianna Fáil vote could well hold up well enough to be decisive. Candidate selections will be important.

I don't accept, by the by, that Labour are necessarily favourites (never mind strong favourites) in Dublin South - indeed, I should think that FG could well retain the seat. Alex White of Labour should actually have a shot this time, but presuming FG can come up with a reasonably good candidate (and the local FG party properly back that candidate) then they have a strong enough opportunity, notwithstanding the embarrassment of Lee's resignation to hold the seat.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #435 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2010, 06:25:53 PM by Jas »

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona dhíobh!

Kevinstat

« Reply #436 on: May 01, 2010, 12:39:57 AM »

Bump.  Any official (or otherwise credible) word on when the by-elections in Donegal South West, Dublin South and Waterford will be?  Or has Brian Cowan decided to hold a snap election so he can lead the Fianna Fáil majority government that would surely result?  Grin
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #437 on: May 01, 2010, 04:05:25 AM »

Bump.  Any official (or otherwise credible) word on when the by-elections in Donegal South West, Dublin South and Waterford will be?  Or has Brian Cowan decided to hold a snap election so he can lead the Fianna Fáil majority government that would surely result?  Grin

No sign of the by-elections yet at all. Unlikely to arise before the autumn - when an election will be held for the new directly elected mayor of Dublin, and probably one or two referenda as well.

Of course, FG could probably force the by-election in Dublin South (and no doubt would bring huge pressure to bear on FF to call the other 2 by-elections) but still embarrassed by the George Lee fiasco, they seem perfectly happy to try and hide that particular by-election amongst all those other elections in the autumn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

You have some crazy rules on by-elections.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »

Would Fine Gael be willing to be a junior coalition partner to Labour if such a situation were to arise?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »

Would Fine Gael be willing to be a junior coalition partner to Labour if such a situation were to arise?

Hard to say - depends on the leadership and on the actual ratio of Lab-FG TDs (FG could, and maybe would, still come out with more members than Lab on these numbers). I'd expect FG to at least pitch for a rotating Taoiseach deal though. The negotiating strength would be influenced by whether Labour could credibly put together an alternative Government (Lab-FF[-?]).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #441 on: June 14, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »

John Bruton's brother. Always funny to see how clannish Irish politics is.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #442 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »

Always funny to see how clannish Irish politics is.

Indeed Sad

There's at least 2 sets of brothers in the Dáil at the minute (one of which also have an aunt also there). One husband and wife. One brother and sister-in-law combo.

Not to mention a ridiculous amount of nepotism - in terms of the number of TDs who replaced their parents in the Dáil (including the Taoiseach, Tánaiste, Minister for Finance, the Leader of the Opposition...).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #443 on: June 14, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »

While in Germany, having a political parent is something politicians don't like to see mentioned much as it's counting as a vague minus to the voters. Although there are a number of examples anyways (it probably helps in party-internal stuff, simply because you've known the right people from an early age).

Ursula von der Leyen and Roland Koch are both politician children.
Bernhard and Hans-Jochen Vogel were brothers, though in different political camps. Cheesy
The brother of Walter Wallmann (mayor of Frankfurt 77-86, state pm 87-91) was mayor of Wiesbaden... and his (the brother's) daughter is now an MdL.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »

Politics in family is pretty common in France, and it doesn't disturb a lot of people, but it's not as if France's democracy was a model of 'openness' to the people.
Kevinstat

« Reply #445 on: June 16, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »

Any idea if Richard Bruton will immediately move the writ of the Dublin South by-election if he becomes Fine Gael leader?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2010, 03:31:35 AM »

Any idea if Richard Bruton will immediately move the writ of the Dublin South by-election if he becomes Fine Gael leader?

The matter hasn't been raised at all - so I don't really know. I suspect not though.

The FG parliamentary party (that's TDs, Senators and MEPs) meet later today to vote (by secret ballot) on a motion of confidence in Kenny. (Kenny prevented a motion of confidence at the frontbencher's meeting on Tuesday, which it looks like it was too close to call.)

Kenny's side think they'll win 41-29 today, Bruton's people think it will be a marginal win for them. Should Kenny fail to carry the party, a leadership contest will proceed with candidates having 7 days to declare.

As an aside, the Government won their confidence motion in the Dáil on Tuesday (82-77). Nothing particularly surprising in the voting.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:14 PM »

Kenny has won the confidence motion.

Under recent FG tradition (noting their belief in principles of democracy, openness and transparancy) the result will not be made public. The two persons who know the result, Party Chair, Deputy Padraic McCormack (Kenny supporter) and Senator Paschal Donohoe, have been (I kid not) sworn to secrecy.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »

The Wildlife (Amendment) Bill 2010 caused much hubbub in the Dáil yesterday evening. The bill, a Green Party initiative, seeks to prohibit the hunting of deer with dogs - and caused serious rancour for various FF Deputies as well as others.

Harry McGee's blog covers the events/fall-out well enough.

The result today is another FF TD expelled from the parliamentary party (with another's fate to be decided later today); a Labour TD with his whip removed; normally pro-Govt Independents Lowry and Healy-Rae voting against the Govt; but also rare support for the Govt from other Independents (normally voting against them) O'Sullivan and McGrath.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #449 on: June 30, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

I had a post all prepared about the hunting bill hilarity, but BRTD convinced me that Ireland was fascist police state, so I reckon I'd probably be taken out and shot by the Swiss Guard if I expressed an opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies