National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:08:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion  (Read 5809 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

I would also like to take a moment to express praise for some parts of the Federalist Party's platform with which I agree, and which I would like us to adopt. These include a shift from the interstate system to a rail-based system, the establishment of a National Bank, education system simplification, and a fully funded national university system.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »

With no objections, I am going to go ahead and include those in our platform. Does anyone have other concerns they'd like to see addressed?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2007, 02:02:25 PM »

With no objections, I am going to go ahead and include those in our platform. Does anyone have other concerns they'd like to see addressed?

Not as such.

It doesn't necessarily need to fit into the platform, but it looks like there is some manner of consensus about the United States.  Specifically, most NLC members voting in the referenda seem to be against the notion of recognizing it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »

We can add that in though it looks as if this referendum will establish the "anti-independence" position as the national consensus and close the issue.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2007, 04:15:53 PM »

I am very much for independence though. As the minority opinion in this, I guess, I would suggest we not have a plank on that as such.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »

We can add that in though it looks as if this referendum will establish the "anti-independence" position as the national consensus and close the issue.

I'd personally agree to a "Nay" plank on the Atlasian-US relations for obvious reasons, as would all other Nay voters in the NLC/GLP/BDP
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »

I understand Colin's reluctance to have this included in the platform, and the fact that it looks to be a closed issue in Atlasian politics suggests to me that there is no particular reason for it to be included in our platform. That is not to say that I am not "anti-independence" (I am), but that addressing closed discussions would be rather pedantic.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »

I understand Colin's reluctance to have this included in the platform, and the fact that it looks to be a closed issue in Atlasian politics suggests to me that there is no particular reason for it to be included in our platform. That is not to say that I am not "anti-independence" (I am), but that addressing closed discussions would be rather pedantic.

Oh, certainly the issue of recognizing the United States is not finished—all we've agreed on as a nation so far is that we don't wish to recognize the United States.  How Atlasia fits into the world as a whole is still something the Senate will have to address and legislate—ideally in the near future—now that a national dialogue is being started.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »

Well, I would like to be able to come to a sort of consensus on that. Realistically, as long as Atlasia maintains the precedent of being a relatively large and influential player on the international stage, I have little concern about what choice is made.

I also have maintained that I do not think this is an issue for the Senate, which really shouldn't be concerned with aspects of the reality of the game, but rather for the courts, or even better, a recreated GM position.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »

I'd personally agree to a "Nay" plank on the Atlasian-US relations for obvious reasons, as would all other Nay voters in the NLC/GLP/BDP

Well it's not like I've ever given a sh**t about a party platform. While I wouldn't consider it a closed issue, I've heard many people state that they would be more willing to agree to something of this sort if it was discussed further before being put to a vote and Atlasia's place in the world is a constant debate stretching back to the beginnings of this country, I would consider it a bad choice if we included this in our platform.

Verily, when it comes to the GM the position is not coming back. No one, even if they want the position, would be capable of doing the amount of things that the GM is supposed to do. Even if we had a GM team made up of Tom Clancy, Alan Greenspan, and Zbigniew Brzezinski that we paid millions of dollars a year to do nothing but be Atlasia's GMs I doubt they would be able to do everything that is asked of the GM.

Getting back on the subject at hand though I think the only forum affairs issue on which the NLC is rather unanimous is the subject of proportional representation and the End to Districts Amendment, which I think almost all NLC members were for. However this also runs into the same issue that once its passed its a dead issue and if it fails a new way would have to be tried anyway.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

Verily, when it comes to the GM the position is not coming back. No one, even if they want the position, would be capable of doing the amount of things that the GM is supposed to do. Even if we had a GM team made up of Tom Clancy, Alan Greenspan, and Zbigniew Brzezinski that we paid millions of dollars a year to do nothing but be Atlasia's GMs I doubt they would be able to do everything that is asked of the GM.
USGS
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2007, 10:47:35 PM »

USGS

Are they still around? I thought they collapsed like many other of these "gov sims". Plus you can't really compare it. USGS is a straight US Government analogue, same parties, same government structure, I think the only thing they have different is that they have a region structure similar to ours rather than states. Atlasia has always been a rather more free flowing country. I don't think we've tried to recreate the workings of the US government since we drafted our first consitution.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2007, 10:47:49 PM »

Well it's not like I've ever given a sh**t about a party platform. While I wouldn't consider it a closed issue, I've heard many people state that they would be more willing to agree to something of this sort if it was discussed further before being put to a vote and Atlasia's place in the world is a constant debate stretching back to the beginnings of this country, I would consider it a bad choice if we included this in our platform.

Not something I'd like to argue about, but I will say that I do not think we need the GM to be a particularly arduous job and leave it at that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We did talk about proportional representation at one point. (It's around page 3 of this thread, I think.) There seemed to be broad consensus at the time in support of the attempted electoral reform. Again, it's a dead issue once enacted, but I suppose everything is. (We establish universal health care, then what? It's not so easy to identify failings to correct in a system that doesn't exist in real life.)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2007, 10:54:46 PM »

USGS

Are they still around? I thought they collapsed like many other of these "gov sims". Plus you can't really compare it. USGS is a straight US Government analogue, same parties, same government structure, I think the only thing they have different is that they have a region structure similar to ours rather than states. Atlasia has always been a rather more free flowing country. I don't think we've tried to recreate the workings of the US government since we drafted our first consitution.
Around and thriving.  They have been very sucessful at projecting at least a decade into the future, encompasing foreign policy, economics...everything necessary to a good government sim.  Certainly we don't have the man-power to go the depth they do, but do have the talent to cover that kind of scope, especially considering we don't move at a accelerated time pace like USGS.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »

USGS

Around and thriving.  They have been very sucessful at projecting at least a decade into the future, encompasing foreign policy, economics...everything necessary to a good government sim.  Certainly we don't have the man-power to go the depth they do, but do have the talent to cover that kind of scope, especially considering we don't move at a accelerated time pace like USGS.

Well we've never set the time pace that we are going at. Considering that our terms are four months long instead of four years it could easily be the 22nd century by now for all we know. I think my prior objections still stand. They work as a straight government simulation without the permutations and excentricities that Atlasia has always had, parties forming and dieing constantly, unicameral legislature, Senatorial domination of the political system, strong independent streak among politicians, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies