Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:42:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ  (Read 12363 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:01:03 AM »
« edited: June 23, 2008, 10:39:41 AM by Mr. Moderate, Candidate »

[Formerly the Mr. Moderate District 2 Senate Office and Presidential Campaign HQ.]

Hi.  Welcome.

I wanted to set up a District Office where I can post my legislative priorities before officially introducing them before the Senate; seek opinions from my constituents from beloved constituents in the I-95 corridor; and to give people a forum to just plain bitch and moan about the way I'm doing my job.

I expect this office to be busy between now and when I take office in September, at least—there are a number of legislative proposals (some urgent) that will be laid out prior to my swearing in.  Each major item will come as a new post, but for the ease of browsing, this initial post shall be mercilessly edited as a table of contents.

Again, thanks to the voters.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
(1.01) August 28, 2007: Co-Chief(s) of Staff Announcement.
(1.02) August 28, 2007: Joining the National Liberal Coalition.
(1.03) August 29, 2007: Introduction of the Carbon Tax Residential Relief Act.
(1.04) September 7, 2007: Call for Northeast Special Election.
(1.05) November 27, 2007: Announcing Re-election Bid.
(1.06) December 23, 2007: Declaring Victory.
(2.01) March 07, 2008: Nomination as Secretary of Forum Affairs.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »

Mr. Moderate announces Co-Chief(s) of Staff
August 28, 2007

Because the Second District is non-contiguous, I thought it proper to take the unusual step of creating two separate offices in the district.  And, because I promised to be an independent voice, I thought it similarly proper to name Co-Chiefs of Staff—one conservative-leaning, one-liberal-leaning (but neither "extremists"); one from the northern half, one from the southern.

And so, my first four acts as Senator-elect are thus:
(1) I am opening the Northern District 2 office in the moderate Republican bastion of Greenwich, Connecticut.
(2) I am naming AndrewCT (R-CT) as my northern Chief of Staff.
(3) I am also opening the Southern District 2 office in the Democratic bastion of Silver Spring, Maryland.
(4) I am naming HappyWarrior (PLP-MD) as my southern Chief of Staff.

Both are relative newcomers to Atlasian politics; this was intentional. 

Hopefully, the positions will give them the kind of head start to future success that will ensure many future ceremonial appointments to myself when I become a disinterested elder statesman!

Both have graciously offered to assist me when I need it, whether that assistance be opining on legislation, need a fact checked, or need someone to pick up my shirts from the Nyman Dry Cleaners.  (I want them hangered, not boxed, got it?)

Er...yeah.  Welcome aboard!
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

I would like to thank Senator- Elect Moderate for this appointment to Co-Chief of Staff. I believe that his choice of a Northerner, and Southerner from different, yet similar political spectrums was an excellent idea.

Also, your dry cleaning was "borrowed" by GPorter, he wants a suit to look more Presidential. Go figure.

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

Mr. Moderate Announces First Official Flip-Flop
Senator-elect to join the National Liberal Coalition (NLC)
August 28, 2007

After checking with my official campaign lawyer (and mascot of the playoff-bound Camden Structure Fire Basketball team) 'Abandoned Building #724', my campaign pledge to not switch parties in the middle of my term does not preclude me from making a party change before the start of my term.

As such, I will be joining the National Liberal Coalition, effective immediate.  Had the party been in existance at the start of my campaign, I would have joined before running, and my new membership shall, in no way, change my desire to keep a steady, moderate course throughout my tenure as Atlasian Senator.

(Flip, flop.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »

Welcome formally to the party, Senator-elect Smiley
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »

Welcome formally to the party, Senator-elect Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:57:38 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2007, 12:52:33 PM by Mr. Moderate »

Mr. Moderate Pushes Tax Relief
Senator-elect works with outgoing Sen. DWTL to prioritize Carbon Tax relief for low-and-middle-income families
August 29, 2007

One of my major campaign issues throughout the August '07 campaign has been Carbon Tax reform, specifically as it applies to low-and-middle-income families.  The poorest in Atlasia are about to be blindsided by a tax they can ill afford (and ill avoid), and it is urgent that the Senate pass a tax relief bill to cut the most regressive part of the Carbon Tax off at the pass.

To that end, I have collaborated with outgoing Senator DWTL, who will be immediately introducing as new legislation the "Carbon Tax Residential Relief Act." This bill provides modest $35 tax cuts for electricity and home heating fuel usage to cover the costs of average carbon dioxide emissions for taxpayers making under $60,000 annually (filing separately; $120,000 filing jointly).

The bill is, I feel, important enough to merit a one-week head start from my actually taking office ^as District 2 Senator, so I am introducing it under my new capacity as Senator from the Northeast Region.

[It is worth mentioning that this act does not address the tax hike in gasoline, estimated around 5 cents for tax year 2008.  It is my own personal finding that relief there is not imminently necessary, considering the Atlasian Senate passed a gasoline tax cut in years prior greater than the amount of this first-year Carbon Tax surcharge.]

The text of the bill is as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »

Senator, I would like to thank you for the position and look forward to working with both you and my fellow co-chief of staff.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »

Mr. Moderate Urges Northeast Special Election
Resigns position as Northeast Senator; Swears in to new position of District 2 Senator
September 7, 2007

District 2 Senator Mr. Moderate released a brief statement today.

"First of all, let me announce to the citizens of the Northeast that it has been an honor serving you as Senator for the past week.  I have just officially resigned my position as Northeast Region Senator to accept the District 2 Senate seat I was elected to in August.

"This creates a vacancy in the office of Northeast Senator at a time of great turmoil in the region.  I am hopeful that you will wind up in good hands—of your own choosing.

"Outgoing Northeastern Region Governor Fezzy Festoon yesterday attempted to appoint former candidate Rockefeller Republican to the not-yet-vacant seat.  It is the opinion of myself and my legal counsel that this move is unconstitutional, and that the vacancy stands.  With the resignation of Lieutenant Governor Rin Chan, it is now up to General MAS117, in his capacity as Acting Governor, to appoint a successor to the seat which originally elected Keystone Phil in June of 2007.

"I have encouraged the new Governor to follow through with Fezzy's original plan to, without delay, hold a non-binding special election.  Simply appointing Rockefeller Republican to the seat—a candidate who, though capable, had withdrawn from the race for it—is not fair to AndrewCT, Verily, or the voters of the Northeast."
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:59:24 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2007, 05:21:08 PM by Mr. Moderate »

OCTOBER 2007 ENDORSEMENTS:

NATIONAL
President: ColinWixted*
Vice President: Jas*

SENATE
Northeast: Verily*
Mideast: Sensei
Midwest: Lewis Trondheim*
Southeast: Sam Spade*
Pacific: Hughento

In the Northeast, Verily has quickly proven to be a capable, thoughtful legislator.  The Northeast is one of the most politically divided areas of Atlasia with significant contingents of conservatives, liberals, and moderates, and Verily charts a course in the Senate that reflects this diversity of thought.  He's been key in introducing common sense legislation for the Northeast Assembly to consider, and will likely do the same in the Atlasian Senate—once the backlog is taken care of, of course.  Verily deserves a full term.

In the Mideast, voters have the choice between two strong candidates—Sensei and Inks.  Sensei is more centrist than the conservative Inks, but the Senate might benefit from having a greater diversity of view points.  Voters won't go wrong either way, but based on ideology, the scale tips in favor of Sensei.  Sensei deserves your vote for Mideast Senate.

In the Midwest, Lewis Trondheim is facing off against Speed of Sound.  Both candidates have similar takes on the issues—SoS is running primarily to give voters a choice.  That's admirable, but even throughout the campaign, SoS admits he'd be a better candidate for GM than Senator.  I agree, and encourage President Wixted to find a place for SoS in his administration going forward into his second term.  For now, I endorse Senator Trondheim for re-election.

In the Southeast, the most conservative region of the country, voters are indeed fortunate to be represented by the thoughtful Sam Spade.  Though he tends to tack right of center (certainly to be expected, considering the area he represents), it is virtually impossible to fault his hard work as PPT, keeping the every day business of the Senate organized.  Senator Spade deserves re-election.

In the Pacific, the voters have a great opportunity to get rid of Senator Rob, who does not participate in debate or do anything but echo Sen. Ebowed's votes.  The only problem for Pacific voters is that, of the candidates who are running, only one has made an effort to campaign and win support.  That candidate is Hughento, whom I fully support for election.  Pacific Region: Don't make the same mistake twice.  Elect an active, energetic Senator who clearly believes in all the Pacific Region has to offer.  Elect Hughento for Pacific Region Senator.

REGIONAL
Northeast Governor: MAS117*
Northeast Lt. Governor: Rockefeller Republican*

The incumbents in the Northeast, MAS117 and Rocky Republican, have done a tremendous job in resurrecting the Northeast Regional Assembly in the few short weeks that they've spent in their respective offices.  For the first time in ages, we have an active regional government that provides the opportunity for all Northeastern citizens to get involved.  Both are reasonable, nonpartisan, capable candidates.  They both deserve a full term.

*Incumbent
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:13:36 AM »

Thank you very much for the endorsement Senator Wink.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »

Your endorsement is very much appreciated Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »

Your endorsement is very much appreciated Smiley

No worries, you both clearly deserve it.

I updated (and completed) my October 2007 endorsements.  A bit late, but........yeah.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »

Senator, why didn't you write in Mona for the Presidency of Atlasia? She was the best character on Who's the Boss. Did I really just say that. Oh crap.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

Senator Moderate announces re-election bid
November 27, 2007

GREENWICH, CT—Senator Moderate (NLC-MA) took to the steps of his District office today to announce his plans to seek a second term in the Atlasian Senate from the newly drawn 2nd District.

"When I was elected to the Senate, there was a lot of work to be done.  I'd like to come before you, my constituents, and be able to brag about all the legislation I wrote that was passed during the last two Senate sessions.  Unfortunately, the Senate continues to be so backlogged that none of the bills I have written, including one introduced in the 20th Senate, has yet to come up for consideration and is still buried in the queue."

The Senate is currently in its 22nd Session.

"We will spend a good portion of this session debating bills introduced by former Senator DWTL four months ago.  That fact alone shows me that we need serious reform, and we need it fast lest we never catch up."

Because of the ever-growing backlog, Mr. Moderate is making queue reform a key part of his re-election campaign.  The Senate currently has five general legislative slots. Senator Moderate is pushing to expand this to seven, while maintaining the dedicated Forum Affairs/Emergency and Veto Override slots.

One slot would be a sixth 'general' slot, active only when there are more than ten pieces of legislation waiting in the queue.  The second added slot would be tagged as the 'PPT Option' slot, which can be filled (or not filled, if desired) with any piece of legislation in the queue at the PPT's discretion.

Senator Moderate hopes the addition of a PPT Option slot will also increase interest in the PPT position, and ideally move along legislation sponsored by newly elected Senators.  Of the current slate of 10 senators, only three have been in office long enough to have a piece of legislation they offered come to the floor.

In addition to queue reform, the senator reaffirmed his commitment to tax relief, supporting President Wixted's "End to Districts" constitutional amendment, and an amendment to remove all mention of the budget from the constitution save for the requirement that the Senate pass one yearly.

"If re-elected, I will continue to push for—and hopefully some day eventually be able to vote on and budget for—carbon tax relief for the families of the Second District."

Citing his work at consensus building, the Senator intends to seek the nomination of the centrist NLC Party of which he is a member, as well as endorsements from the more conservative Federalist Party and more liberal Progressive Caucus.

Following today's announcement in Connecticut, the Senator will begin a tour of the new territory in his district, visiting Burlington, Vermont; Concord, New Hampshire; and Portland, Maine later this week before returning to his home in Somerville, Massachusetts.  A future campaign stop will be announced for New Brunswick, New Jersey.

The newly redistricted Second District includes all of New England, as well as the states of New Jersey and Delaware.  New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are new to the Second District; it gives up the states of Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and Kentucky, as well as the District of Columbia, due to booming growth in the Northeastern Region.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »

I happily endorse you for reelection.  Three more months! Three more months!
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »

I wish you the best of luck Mr. Senator, and I fully endorse you for another term in the Senate!

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:20:58 PM »

I wish you the best of luck Senator. You have my endorsement for your re-election bid.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »

I wish you the best of luck Senator. You have my endorsement for your re-election bid.
I wish you the best of luck Mr. Senator, and I fully endorse you for another term in the Senate!

Thank you, all!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

I too will annouce my endorsement of Mr. Moderate as well
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 07:04:23 PM »

I wish you the best of luck in your campaign. As a fellow NLCer you have my endorsement for your re-election bid.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:09:31 PM »

You clearly have my endorsement for reelection, and I look forward to continuing to work with you in the Senate.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »

It would be "Four more months!", we elect Senators to four month terms in Atlasia.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »

I endorse the Senator for re-election.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:20 PM »

It would be "Four more months!", we elect Senators to four month terms in Atlasia.
He's planning to assassinate Moderate.

I heartily endorse Mr Moderate for reelection.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies