Larry Craig (R)-ID
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:07:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Larry Craig (R)-ID
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Larry Craig (R)-ID  (Read 6004 times)
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »

Discuss...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Uh.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:08:50 PM »

You stole the entire contents of what I was going to post.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »

gporter/Craig
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »

I was going to post this but I was feeling too lazy to. Whatever we can all be certain that this seat will stay Republican.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »

I was going to post this but I was feeling too lazy to. Whatever we can all be certain that this seat will stay Republican.

Uh.  Huh.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »

That's the only important thing, after all.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »

us senator helen chenoweth

oh wait.  she is dead.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »

I hope Robert Vasquez runs.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

This thrilling monosyllabic discussion aside, perhaps some focus would be in order.

Larry Craig pleaded guity to a misdemeanor offense after propositioning a plainclothes officer in an Minneapolis airport in June 2007. A few minutes ago he stated that A: he would not rule out running for reelection and B: he would attempt to change his plea, with help from counsel this time (which was not present when he plead back in June).

If Craig runs for reelection I find it difficult to imagine that, even in Idaho, the Democrats wouldn't be able to give him a run for his money. Craig's statement today fell somewhere between side-splittingly absurd and mind-numbingly idiotic. He apologized for pleading guilty in the first place and for the 'cloud over Idaho' that this has brought. (No word yet on whether that cloud is raining men).

I have it on good authority that Democrats are used for target practice in Idaho, so its conceivable it would still be a lean-Republican race. But the clip he just made is Macaca-esque.

I have no idea who the Democrats would get to face Craig, or who would replace Craig if he decides to step aside. The last time Idaho elected a Democrat to a full term was 1974, and that candidate (Frank Church) had served since 1957. It's an uphill battle, but considering the nature of the scandal it might be enough to depress Republican turnout, or rally Democrats.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

To make Bill Sali look Moderate?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »

mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

You got love hypocrisy.

Against gay marriage, against civil unions, against parental rights for gays.

For soleciting of gay men for sex.

Dear mr craig. Its okay to be gay. Its not okay to be a self hating gay.
come out of the closet and let the chip lay were they may you would be much more respect who cares what bigots have to say. Just my humble opinion.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »

What I suspect is going to happen will be this:

Craig's going to wait out this thing for a month or two and see where his poll numbers are then.  If he determines that he is seriously in trouble for re-election, he won't run; if he determines that he isn't, he will run.

At least that's what the smart politician would do.  Some of Craig's comments and actions have made me wonder about this, however.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 08:20:21 PM »

Craig's going to wait out this thing for a month or two and see where his poll numbers are then.  If he determines that he is seriously in trouble for re-election, he won't run; if he determines that he isn't, he will run.

At least that's what the smart politician would do.  Some of Craig's comments and actions have made me wonder about this, however.

If he does go for another term I wonder if he will face a primary and if that is the case he will lose as just about no politician(excluding DC's Marion Barry) could survive such issues such as this one.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »

If he does go for another term I wonder if he will face a primary and if that is the case he will lose as just about no politician(excluding DC's Marion Barry) could survive such issues such as this one.

The main issue: the guy, clearly, has shown he cannot be in public light anymore. Whatever caused him to behave with such an outlandish degree of idiocy in handling the case (I don't really care about what he did before being arrested, but, mainly, about what he did thereafter), it means he should retire. If he has any self-respect, he will. Otherwise, he has to be primaried out, or else the whole Republican party would look ridiculous. Judging by the speed with which the Rep leadership referred this to the ethics committee, they know this. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 08:59:22 PM »

The main issue: the guy, clearly, has shown he cannot be in public light anymore. Whatever caused him to behave with such an outlandish degree of idiocy in handling the case (I don't really care about what he did before being arrested, but, mainly, about what he did thereafter), it means he should retire. If he has any self-respect, he will. Otherwise, he has to be primaried out, or else the whole Republican party would look ridiculous. Judging by the speed with which the Rep leadership referred this to the ethics committee, they know this. 

I tend to agree.  I was just looking at the re-election issue.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »

It is being described by Craig as "...a he said, he said."
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »

I wonder when he's planning to release his tell all book detailing how very difficult it is to pretend to be a hate mongering bigot while in actuality living a secret homosexual double life. I give it a year.

He really should just resign. I don't think he'd even be able to survive a primary as it stands right now.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 09:59:27 PM »

If Craig and Sali could both win their primaries and then go onto lose the general... oh, that would be a dream come true. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 10:36:16 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2007, 10:38:16 PM by Verily »

Sali4Senate!

Actually, I can imagine Sali being the conservative primary challenger to Craig, and winning, after he realizes that he can't win the primary in his own district. (He wins the nomination in another three-way race.)
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »

It'd be amazing if we managed to capture a seat in Idaho.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 10:43:54 PM »

I can't think of anything more wonderful than picking up a seat because a senator screwed around on his wife with a kid and a bunch of strangers for three decades.  It's like there's no down side.

(Note:  Democrats still have no chance in Idaho.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 12:17:12 AM »

Democrats already have a candidate for this seat.  Former Rep. LaRocco.

If I had to place a bet on a hypothetical general election match-up: Craig still beats LaRocco.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »

LaRocco seems to be a good candidate, but this is Idaho, so he'll most likely lose.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies