Is the USA the Greatest Nation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is the USA the Greatest Nation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Is the USA the Greatest Nation  (Read 12586 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 05:46:43 PM »
« edited: July 28, 2004, 05:48:03 PM by Beet »

The US is greatest by all quantitative aggregate measures. There is simply no possibility of disputing that. Although some countries, such as Norway and Sweden, have managed better qualities of living for their people, that accomplishment is spread over so few people, that it hardly proves they would be able to replicate it by exporting their systems (culture and all) to more populous countries. Same with Australia (going from 0 to 30 million in 100 years doesn't beat going from 0 to 300 million in 200). Ok maybe not exactly "0" but you know what I mean- the total growth volume in the US has been greater. Sorry hughento. Therefore the US is still the best.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 03:40:10 AM »

The US is undoubtedly the most powerful and richest nation on earth. Whether that makes it great is a different matter.
Obviously I'm biased in saying the UK, however you cannot deny our influence on the world has been quite extraordinary considering our tiny size and small population. Even our language is the most successful in the world. The thing I love most about the British however is our ability to laugh at ourselves, no other nation has such a fantastic sense of humour.

I love English humour!  Actually I admit I'm a bit of an anglophile overall, but the humour is the best part.  I mean just compare it to French 'humour'.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 03:56:05 AM »

The US is undoubtedly the most powerful and richest nation on earth. Whether that makes it great is a different matter.
Obviously I'm biased in saying the UK, however you cannot deny our influence on the world has been quite extraordinary considering our tiny size and small population. Even our language is the most successful in the world. The thing I love most about the British however is our ability to laugh at ourselves, no other nation has such a fantastic sense of humour.

I love English humour!  Actually I admit I'm a bit of an anglophile overall, but the humour is the best part.  I mean just compare it to French 'humour'.

I didn't know the French had a sense of humour? Other European countries take themselves too seriously in my opinion. Ireland being the exception.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 05:05:14 AM »

I didn't know the French had a sense of humour? Other European countries take themselves too seriously in my opinion. Ireland being the exception.

Very true. Smiley

IIRC, there isn't a direct, proper French word for humour. They only have "wit". Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 06:34:49 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2004, 06:35:53 PM by Lunar »

Very true. Smiley

IIRC, there isn't a direct, proper French word for humour. They only have "wit". Wink

There is "humeur", but it doesn't translate perfectly.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 09:08:25 PM »

The US is greatest by all quantitative aggregate measures. There is simply no possibility of disputing that. Although some countries, such as Norway and Sweden, have managed better qualities of living for their people, that accomplishment is spread over so few people, that it hardly proves they would be able to replicate it by exporting their systems (culture and all) to more populous countries. Same with Australia (going from 0 to 30 million in 100 years doesn't beat going from 0 to 300 million in 200). Ok maybe not exactly "0" but you know what I mean- the total growth volume in the US has been greater. Sorry hughento. Therefore the US is still the best.

Let's go by the UN Human Deveopement Rport of the best countries to live in. Australia comes third, after Norway and Sweden, followed by Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, Iceland and then in 8th the United States.

Despite having double the time, you're 5 below us.

8th in the world is still a great achievment. 300 million is too. As is being the world's most powerful military nation.

America is the greatest, as I have said. but it isn't the bst.

The best, accoding to the UN is Norway. According to the Economist, the best places in the world tio live are Vancoever, Vienna and Melbourne, all on equal first. Sydney, Brisbane and Perth were all in the top 10 too.

Australia may only have 20 million people, but we manage to do better then any other nation, besides the Bahamas, at the olympics. In Sydney 2000, per head of population, we had 5.82e-06 per million. The USA? 41st.

Militarily. World war one, we didn't have conscription, but still had more soldiers then any other nation per capita-including Britain. Word War two, we were the first nation to beat the Japanese on land, at Milne Bay. MacCarthur kept us behind the fighting after that, so the americans could win. Vietnam, we had the lowest casualty-soldier rate, and were stationed in some of the most dangerous places. We might not have the power you have, but we can do the job better then anyone.

*Nationalsim taking root*

Australia may or may not be the best nation on earth; Maybe it's Norway, or the Bahamas, or Sweden, or Somalia. But I do know we're better then America. We're not greater, but we are freer, happier, more liked, better provided for, and havebetter swimmers, then america Wink

America is greater thnm us. I don't argue that. But we're better.
MarkDel

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 09:35:59 PM »

Hughento,

While I disagree with you, I will say that Australia would be my second choice (after the US) as a place to live. Canada used to be number two, but that country has really, really changed over the past 10-15 years...and not for the better. England and Ireland would also be high on the list. The highest rated non-English speaking locale would probably be The Netherlands, Sweden or Italy.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 10:10:04 PM »

Canada is probably the greatest country in the world then.

freedomburns
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2004, 04:25:02 AM »

Hughento,

While I disagree with you, I will say that Australia would be my second choice (after the US) as a place to live. Canada used to be number two, but that country has really, really changed over the past 10-15 years...and not for the better. England and Ireland would also be high on the list. The highest rated non-English speaking locale would probably be The Netherlands, Sweden or Italy.

Italy has Europe's highest number of actual Communists. That definition of 'Europe' includes both Greece and Belorussia.
English

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2004, 04:34:46 AM »

I couldn't stand to live in Australia. Not because of politics or anything, but the CREEPY CRAWLIES!
Everything is lethal there isn't it? Spiders, Snakes, Jellyfish, Sharks! It's a wonder anyone dare go outside without being stung, bitten or savaged by crocodiles.
I remember seeing this program about Queensland, apparently you can't even swim in the sea there for 3 months a year because the waters are infested with box jellyfish. One sting is apparently lethal!!
Nice!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2004, 04:47:48 AM »

Come to Australia, ya might accidently get killed,
your blood is sure to be splled, you might accidentelly get killed!

Redback funnell web blue ringed octopus,
tigersnake brown snake, and a box jelly fish,
great white, just waiting for you to come swimming atr Bondi beach,

come to australia...

I've lived here for 16 years and never ever been bitten by anything poisonous.

Then again, I live in the safest part of the country, Melbourne. But even in the rest of the country, you are very very unlikely to be killed by an animal. About the jellyfish-in SOME places in queesland, thats true. Basically, you just need to be careful.

Also we have 9/10 deadliest snakes, and I have never ever seen one in the wild. I've seen a couple iof snakes, but neither was deadly. The only time I've come even close was when I had to walk over about 5 scorpions on camp one year. That was a bit scary.

About the bugs-yes, they're everywhere-in the country. In the cities, its the same as everywhere else. the only insect we'd have more of would be flies. We have a lot of flies here. But you get used to them.

*half of the above post was sarcastic, half completely true*
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2004, 06:14:07 AM »

Hughento,

Canada used to be number two, but that country has really, really changed over the past 10-15 years...and not for the better.

You mean it's gotten more liberal?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2004, 06:22:30 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2004, 06:35:46 AM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Hey Hughento, one problem with Australia, that big old hole in the O-Zone layer smack bang above you. (At least I think that is where it is LOL)
English

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2004, 06:33:36 AM »

Hughento,

Canada used to be number two, but that country has really, really changed over the past 10-15 years...and not for the better.

Exactly. I'd have loved to have seen the faces of America's religious right when Canada legalised gay marriage and decriminalised Cannabis! I bet they were poised for invasion! Smiley It's a wonder Massachussetts, Vermont & RI don't vote to join Canada actually!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2004, 06:54:44 AM »

Hugh made some excellent points. Smiley

I would say that AUstralia, Canada and New Zeeland all beat the US in my view...the UK probably does so as well.
bejkuy

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2004, 01:20:57 PM »

In terms of greatness, who can dispute that the USA is #1?

That said, perceived quality of life may be higher in some other countries.

How could it be said that Australia, the gun confiscating state, is more free than the us?

If I had to leave America, my preferred places of residence would be:

1-New Zealand
2-Australia
3-South Africa
4-Canada
5-UK

Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2004, 02:17:15 PM »

Hughento,

Socially, yes. Economically, no. It's become very libertarian in style. The Liberal Party has moved drastically to the right recently. If the gay marriage legislation were put before parliament today it wouldn't pass. I believe the reason MarkDel thinks Canada is so bad is because it has become visciously anti-American.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »

If I had to leave America, I my preferred places would be:

1- Vienna
2- Oslo
3- Sydney
4- Berlin
5- Vancouver
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »

If America were gone, I'd probably move to either Australia, Malta, Poland, or Canada.

What would encourage you to move to Malta?

Very conservative nation. Hot women.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2004, 04:26:57 PM »

If I had to leave America, I my preferred places would be:

1- Vienna
2- Oslo
3- Sydney
4- Berlin
5- Vancouver

I like Vienna also, though I was brained with a beer bottle thrown by punks late one night.  I pretended nothing had happened, and just kept walking, probably saving myself a   beating.  There does seem to be a fair amount of anti-foreigner sentiment there.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »

In terms of greatness, who can dispute that the USA is #1?

That said, perceived quality of life may be higher in some other countries.

How could it be said that Australia, the gun confiscating state, is more free than the us?

If I had to leave America, my preferred places of residence would be:

1-New Zealand
2-Australia
3-South Africa
4-Canada
5-UK

Out of curiosity, did you put SA up there b/c of its extra-ordinarily high crime rate, the corruption, the 40% unemployment, the racial tensions, the AIDS catastrophy or the lack of serious political opposition to the government? Huh

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2004, 06:18:19 PM »

SA has a beautiful climate.  I have several South African friends from the white diaspora and they often talk about how 'nice it used to be'.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2004, 07:29:38 PM »

If America were gone, I'd probably move to either Australia, Malta, Poland, or Canada.

What would encourage you to move to Malta?

Very conservative nation. Hot women.

There are more Maltese people in Australia then Malta Tongue

There are also more Greeks in Melbourne then any city excluding Athens-they make up 1/8th of our population.

And then theres the Cypriots; more Cypriots in Australia then Southern Cyprus... Tongue
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »

We're the only country of apple pie, John Hancock's signature, baseball, Schwarzenegger, jazz, men on the moon...need I go on?
raggage

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2004, 11:58:18 PM »

I dislike this whole thread. No nation is the greatest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies