Is the USA the Greatest Nation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is the USA the Greatest Nation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the USA the Greatest Nation  (Read 12611 times)
English

« on: July 27, 2004, 09:04:33 AM »

No, the United Kingdom is of course!
English

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:11:50 AM »

The British have the best sense of humour in the world.
English

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 05:22:39 AM »

The US is undoubtedly the most powerful and richest nation on earth. Whether that makes it great is a different matter.
Obviously I'm biased in saying the UK, however you cannot deny our influence on the world has been quite extraordinary considering our tiny size and small population. Even our language is the most successful in the world. The thing I love most about the British however is our ability to laugh at ourselves, no other nation has such a fantastic sense of humour.
English

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 03:56:05 AM »

The US is undoubtedly the most powerful and richest nation on earth. Whether that makes it great is a different matter.
Obviously I'm biased in saying the UK, however you cannot deny our influence on the world has been quite extraordinary considering our tiny size and small population. Even our language is the most successful in the world. The thing I love most about the British however is our ability to laugh at ourselves, no other nation has such a fantastic sense of humour.

I love English humour!  Actually I admit I'm a bit of an anglophile overall, but the humour is the best part.  I mean just compare it to French 'humour'.

I didn't know the French had a sense of humour? Other European countries take themselves too seriously in my opinion. Ireland being the exception.
English

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 04:34:46 AM »

I couldn't stand to live in Australia. Not because of politics or anything, but the CREEPY CRAWLIES!
Everything is lethal there isn't it? Spiders, Snakes, Jellyfish, Sharks! It's a wonder anyone dare go outside without being stung, bitten or savaged by crocodiles.
I remember seeing this program about Queensland, apparently you can't even swim in the sea there for 3 months a year because the waters are infested with box jellyfish. One sting is apparently lethal!!
Nice!
English

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 06:33:36 AM »

Hughento,

Canada used to be number two, but that country has really, really changed over the past 10-15 years...and not for the better.

You mean it's gotten more liberal?

Exactly. I'd have loved to have seen the faces of America's religious right when Canada legalised gay marriage and decriminalised Cannabis! I bet they were poised for invasion! Smiley It's a wonder Massachussetts, Vermont & RI don't vote to join Canada actually!
English

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:50:28 AM »

If I had to leave America, I my preferred places would be:

1- Vienna
2- Oslo
3- Sydney
4- Berlin
5- Vancouver

I like Vienna also, though I was brained with a beer bottle thrown by punks late one night.  I pretended nothing had happened, and just kept walking, probably saving myself a   beating.  There does seem to be a fair amount of anti-foreigner sentiment there.

Austria is notorious for it's dislike of foreigners, especially non-white ones. The far right Freedom party led by Jorg Haider was one of, if not the largest party in government a few years ago.
English

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 06:32:22 AM »

England is the greatest nation.  France second.  Hawaii third.

England because they have a conscience and lead the world in humanitarian efforts.

France because they know what life is about.  They are an old country with strength and wisdom.  And their language is sexy.  

Hawaii just rules.  And it should be given back the sovereignty it enjoyed as a real nation, with real laws and treaties with other countries before we invaded and took it over.

freedomburns

Spot on! About England anyway! Smiley
England just goes about it's business without really bothering anyone else. I love Scotland, however the anglophobia there is insufferable. JUST GET OVER IT! William Wallace was hundreds of years ago! Same with the Welsh and Irish. They define themselves purely by their hatred of England. Gets very annoying.
Thing I like about the UK is the fact it has embraced a sort of compassionate capitalism. We're a capitalistic nation however people here still think things like free health-care and free education are good, even if they don't benefit from it themselves. Also we're perhaps the least racist country in Europe.
English

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 08:28:46 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 08:30:04 AM by English »

I've been to Scotland several times and while I've never been subject to overt anglophobia, everytime without fail, the subject of conversation always comes down to England. It really wears very thin. As far as I know Scots encounter no such prejudice in England. Neither do the Welsh. The English always seem to be fair game as far as our celtic cousins are concerned. It's just blaytant xenophobia. Apparently us English are to blame for what our ancestors did in 1400. Makes me sick!
English

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 08:32:59 AM »

Actually on the subject of rampant xenophobia, I would say that Anglophobia in the celtic regions is probably similar to the degree of anti-americanism in Canada. I have lots of Canadian friends and everyone of them constantly castigates the US. They're obsessed with it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies