Is the USA the Greatest Nation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is the USA the Greatest Nation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the USA the Greatest Nation  (Read 12644 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: July 27, 2004, 06:42:50 AM »

There should be no doubt that we are the greatest country on the face of the Earth.

Right... Roll Eyes

Personally, I would put the UK before Britain. And my home country IS my home country, of course... Wink I love most Scandinavian countries actually.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:46:36 AM »

The British have the best sense of humour in the world.

Very true! Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:57:05 PM »

Personally, I would put the UK before Britain. And my home country IS my home country, of course... Wink I love most Scandinavian countries actually.

Umm.. Gustaf... the UK is Britan.

The United States is most definately the greatest nation in the world. However, being the greatest nation comes with corruption, and when we are constantly being threatened by enemies internally and externally,  one can only question how much longer this nation will be the greatest.

Hehe...I must have been tired when I wrote that... Roll Eyes

I meant that I'd put the UK before the US... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 05:05:14 AM »

The US is undoubtedly the most powerful and richest nation on earth. Whether that makes it great is a different matter.
Obviously I'm biased in saying the UK, however you cannot deny our influence on the world has been quite extraordinary considering our tiny size and small population. Even our language is the most successful in the world. The thing I love most about the British however is our ability to laugh at ourselves, no other nation has such a fantastic sense of humour.

I love English humour!  Actually I admit I'm a bit of an anglophile overall, but the humour is the best part.  I mean just compare it to French 'humour'.

I didn't know the French had a sense of humour? Other European countries take themselves too seriously in my opinion. Ireland being the exception.

Very true. Smiley

IIRC, there isn't a direct, proper French word for humour. They only have "wit". Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 06:54:44 AM »

Hugh made some excellent points. Smiley

I would say that AUstralia, Canada and New Zeeland all beat the US in my view...the UK probably does so as well.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »

In terms of greatness, who can dispute that the USA is #1?

That said, perceived quality of life may be higher in some other countries.

How could it be said that Australia, the gun confiscating state, is more free than the us?

If I had to leave America, my preferred places of residence would be:

1-New Zealand
2-Australia
3-South Africa
4-Canada
5-UK

Out of curiosity, did you put SA up there b/c of its extra-ordinarily high crime rate, the corruption, the 40% unemployment, the racial tensions, the AIDS catastrophy or the lack of serious political opposition to the government? Huh

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies