15% of Canadians for Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:30:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  15% of Canadians for Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: 15% of Canadians for Bush  (Read 30944 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »

Red is liberal nation, blue is conservative nation, and grey is moderate nation:

Liberal nation actually leads in EV's, with 215 compared to conservative nation's 146 and moderate nation's 177.  

President of liberal nation: Al Gore
President of Conservative nation: George W. Bush
President of moderate nation: Colin Powell

Pretty cool map.. but I'd prefer two geographically contiguous nations.  How would you split up the moderates between the other two?  Id sure  like to see MO on the conservatieve side..
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2004, 01:40:57 PM »

Michigan should not be on the liberal side but in the moderate group
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2004, 01:53:23 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2004, 01:53:43 PM by htmldon »

Hooray for President Powell!

Note that President Bush got an overwhelming number of "moderate nation's" votes Smiley

Red is liberal nation, blue is conservative nation, and grey is moderate nation:

Liberal nation actually leads in EV's, with 215 compared to conservative nation's 146 and moderate nation's 177.  

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »

Everyone can post their own map of liberal/conservative/moderate nation so we can compare.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2004, 02:05:26 PM »

I would post a map of a divided nation, but alas don't know how.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2004, 02:15:06 PM »

Border controls would be tough... Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2004, 02:16:28 PM »

I would rather say that an agreement on facts have to be in place in order for a debate to be meaningful at all. People can draw different conclusions from facts, and it is often not objectively possible to distiguish who's right.

Yes and no.  Sometimes it is extremely obvious which party is contradicting themselves.  For example:  a Christian that believes they know more than Christ.

Let's not start this all over again...

If someone contradicts themself, then that is obviously different, but it is not always obvious if someone does.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2004, 02:33:06 PM »

Yes, probably...considering Florida borders conservative nation, that could flare up, but it really is only dangerous if liberal nations borders conservative nation.  The WV/KY border could be bad, as could he west coast.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2004, 02:36:31 PM »

Yes, probably...considering Florida borders conservative nation, that could flare up, but it really is only dangerous if liberal nations borders conservative nation.  The WV/KY border could be bad, as could he west coast.

Just get rid of the 'moderate nation'.  Its not going to please anyone - its as if the Brits had made Kashmere independent instead of just giving it to one or another of the newly created enemies.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2004, 02:38:38 PM »

Just get rid of the 'moderate nation'.  Its not going to please anyone - its as if the Brits had made Kashmere independent instead of just giving it to one or another of the newly created enemies.

Yeah, you mean a problem-solver that would have avoided a lot of blood-shed, I can see how that is really stupid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2004, 02:43:47 PM »

Yeah, you mean a problem-solver that would have avoided a lot of blood-shed, I can see how that is really stupid.

That wouldn't have solved anything - there would've been a war in which one or the other would've seized Kashmere.  There would've been just as much bloodshed.  Its better to recognize reasonable power relationships when creating states - for example Pakistan was big enough to fend India off, but couldn't hang onto Bangladesh.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »

That wouldn't have solved anything - there would've been a war in which one or the other would've seized Kashmere.  There would've been just as much bloodshed.  Its better to recognize reasonable power relationships when creating states - for example Pakistan was big enough to fend India off, but couldn't hang onto Bangladesh.  

Ah, but the clever way avoided a war, huh? Perhaps allowing people to create the kind of nations they actually want is a way of avoiding conflicts, instead of letting power hungry chauvinism rule the world?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2004, 02:56:42 PM »

Ah, but the clever way avoided a war, huh? Perhaps allowing people to create the kind of nations they actually want is a way of avoiding conflicts, instead of letting power hungry chauvinism rule the world?

The point is there was going to be war no matter what - unless of course the British had stayed.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »

If someone contradicts themself, then that is obviously different, but it is not always obvious if someone does.

Professing to believe that Christ is God in the flesh while at the same time believing to know more than Christ is NOT reasonable.

If you believe it is reasonable then try explaining how a man would attain greater knowledge than God, assuming that God would be lacking in knowledge in the first place.

Makes no sense.  Which is why the idea has been floated as a clever excuse many times on this forum, yet a logical explanation has escaped all those adhering to its illogical conclusion.

Wisdom is proved right by her actions….or for a more secular equivalent – you can’t squeeze blood from a turnip.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2004, 03:50:03 PM »

What a can of worms this has become!  LOL Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2004, 03:53:16 PM »

The point is there was going to be war no matter what - unless of course the British had stayed.

You don't think there would've been a colonial war if the British had tried to keep India?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh? *VIETNAM, ALGERIA, KENYA, EVERY OTHER COLONY IN THE WORLD WITH SUBSTANTIAL POPULATION*

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »

Professing to believe that Christ is God in the flesh while at the same time believing to know more than Christ is NOT reasonable.

If you believe it is reasonable then try explaining how a man would attain greater knowledge than God, assuming that God would be lacking in knowledge in the first place.

Makes no sense.  Which is why the idea has been floated as a clever excuse many times on this forum, yet a logical explanation has escaped all those adhering to its illogical conclusion.

Wisdom is proved right by her actions….or for a more secular equivalent – you can’t squeeze blood from a turnip.

I don't really want to have this debate on this thread, you should start a separate one for it: "Drudge reveals inconsistency in Atlas Forum posters religious stands" or something.

But I will admit that I don't have the kind of faith to accept anything that runs contrary to my own beliefs. I am not that kind of person, to do something blindly, which I suppose would be lack of faith to a true believer. But it's the way I am.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2004, 04:29:01 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2004, 04:32:00 PM by jmfcst »

I don't really want to have this debate on this thread, you should start a separate one for it: "Drudge reveals inconsistency in Atlas Forum posters religious stands" or something.

Don't steal my thunder!  Wink

---

But I will admit that I don't have the kind of faith to accept anything that runs contrary to my own beliefs. I am not that kind of person, to do something blindly, which I suppose would be lack of faith to a true believer. But it's the way I am.

Without a standard, you are blindly accepting whatever you feel is right, despite your claims.  

And you fully understand and comprehend that Christ viewed the word of God as the Light that shines in the darkness.  The problem is that you simply don’t like the Light’s opinion because you find its teachings harsh.  

But I got news for you:  I don’t like it either!  I don’t like the fact that Hell exists and in it multitudes will suffer continually for eternity.  I don’t like the fact that little girls are kidnapped and raped, while wondering where mommy and daddy are.  I don’t like the fact that I was born with a sinful nature that threatens my eternal existence.

But you know what?  God never asked us to like it, he simply asked us to accept his message as the Truth.

In fact, Jesus’ disciples didn’t like it either and many of his followers left him because they simply couldn’t accept the harshness of what Jesus was preaching.  And the scene is recorded for us:

John 6:60-69 Upon hearing [Jesus’ teaching], many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"…From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Notice that Peter didn’t profess to like the message; rather he simply understood that ignoring the message wouldn't alter its truth.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »

Don't steal my thunder!  Wink

---

Sorry... Wink

Without a standard, you are blindly accepting whatever you feel is right, despite your claims.  

And you fully understand and comprehend that Christ viewed the word of God as the Light that shines in the darkness.  The problem is that you simply don’t like the Light’s opinion because you find its teachings harsh.  

But I got news for you:  I don’t like it either!  I don’t like the fact that Hell exists and in it multitudes will suffer continually for eternity.  I don’t like the fact that little girls are kidnapped and raped, while wondering where mommy and daddy are.  I don’t like the fact that I was born with a sinful nature that threatens my eternal existence.

But you know what?  God never asked us to like it, he simply asked us to accept his message as the Truth.

In fact, Jesus’ disciples didn’t like it either and many of his followers left him because they simply couldn’t accept the harshness of what Jesus was preaching.  And the scene is recorded for us:

John 6:60-69 Upon hearing [Jesus’ teaching], many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"…From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Notice that Peter didn’t profess to like the message; rather he simply understood that ignoring the message wouldn't alter its truth.

As I said before, I hope you're wrong but it doesn't really matter to me, at least not on a comprehensive level. I cannot go against my conscience, even if it would mean going against the law of the bible. I suppose it would look stupid to say that I rather go to hell, but that's the way it feels. I guess I haven't seen the light. I also think that God would see through me if I tried to pretend faith. I don't think making an anti-gay post to get into heaven would save me.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2004, 05:57:32 PM »

his thread sucks all of a sudden. Well, not all of a sudden. It sucks from about page 5.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2004, 06:01:16 PM »

Note that President Bush got an overwhelming number of "moderate nation's" votes Smiley
Also note that President Clinton got an overwhelming number of "moderate nation's" votes in 1996.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2004, 06:02:45 PM »

BTW, whats Minnesota doing in the liberal nation? it should be gray...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2004, 06:03:14 PM »

his thread sucks all of a sudden. Well, not all of a sudden. It sucks from about page 5.

You talking about this thread? Why does it suck? Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2004, 06:12:44 PM »

B/C a great discussion on the integration of Canada became a discussion on individual members, and then you spent a couple of pages analysing the debate, and now its on an entirely different route.

Shouldn't we be trying to stick together? Don't let Rove win Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2004, 06:30:39 PM »

B/C a great discussion on the integration of Canada became a discussion on individual members, and then you spent a couple of pages analysing the debate, and now its on an entirely different route.

Shouldn't we be trying to stick together? Don't let Rove win Sad

Well, I'm sorry! *trying to create an offended air around myself* Wink

I can see what you mean, though I do think that a decent debate on the debate is always nice... Smiley

But I don't really get the last part. I haven't fought with any Democrats anywhere?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies