15% of Canadians for Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  15% of Canadians for Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: 15% of Canadians for Bush  (Read 30728 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 07:25:39 PM »

Hughento. Public healthcare is not too expensive. In Finland we have enough money for it. Why you would not have?

Actually that is a mystery to most Brits. If a backwater like England can afford free healthcare for all, why can't the richest country in the world?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 07:26:24 PM »

I have heard that there is movement in UK which work for the joining to USA.

I suppose that in Finland only 5-10 percent of people would vote for Bush.

Would probably be that, or even less in Sweden, since we have no whacko conservatives here.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2004, 07:33:44 PM »

Is puplic healthcare impossible in state level?!?!?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2004, 07:43:36 PM »

It is possible, as has been proven by a couple.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »

I have read that Margaret Thacher has some vision about Union of English Speaking Nations as opposite of European Union. But I don't think that she didn't mean state union!

I have calculated that United Kingdom would get at least 80 seat in EC. Australia would get about 30 and both New Zealand and Ireland about 6 seats.

Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2004, 07:51:22 PM »

Hughento. Did you mean that some states have already universal (or public) healthcare. I have heard something about Oregon...
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2004, 09:00:55 PM »

I disagree - I actually think it would help the GOP!

We'd become a more moderate party, having to do so in order to win national elections.  Being more moderate would help us in states like California and elsewhere which means the GOP would become stronger.

The Dems, on the other hand, would pull in the lefty whackos in Canada and would be un-electable anywhere in the current U.S.  This would end any relationship between moderates and the Dem party, and strengthen the GOP even more.

So the GOP becomes more moderate and wins more elections, the decent parts of Canada get responsible leadership, and the Democrat party ceases to exist - its a win, win, win situation!

I like Canada; I love America.

I'm just saying that it would be great to have Canada as part of the US; then the Democrats would have an even greater chance of winning the election Smiley

Plus also, I think most americans would like to have Canadians as US citizens, they are always so polite. it would help our world image no end Tongue
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2004, 09:01:22 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2004, 09:01:42 PM by htmldon »

Oregon had an election for it and it failed by a long shot.

Hughento. Did you mean that some states have already universal (or public) healthcare. I have heard something about Oregon...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 09:34:49 PM »

Keep on dreaming... Smiley It would prove the old truth that it is very hard to combine idelogical victories with political ones.

I disagree - I actually think it would help the GOP!

We'd become a more moderate party, having to do so in order to win national elections.  Being more moderate would help us in states like California and elsewhere which means the GOP would become stronger.

The Dems, on the other hand, would pull in the lefty whackos in Canada and would be un-electable anywhere in the current U.S.  This would end any relationship between moderates and the Dem party, and strengthen the GOP even more.

So the GOP becomes more moderate and wins more elections, the decent parts of Canada get responsible leadership, and the Democrat party ceases to exist - its a win, win, win situation!

I like Canada; I love America.

I'm just saying that it would be great to have Canada as part of the US; then the Democrats would have an even greater chance of winning the election Smiley

Plus also, I think most americans would like to have Canadians as US citizens, they are always so polite. it would help our world image no end Tongue
M

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2004, 09:39:54 PM »

First off, Canadiam annexation, while not very likely, is a possibility. But only if precipitated by a Quebec secession. Quebec will not be a US state anytime in the forseeable future.

I think the three mountain states would vote GOP. Ontario and BC would lean dem, and the maritime provinces (at least New Brunswick with large Francophone population) as well. The dems would thus regain some of the EVs they are lsoing by being less and less competitive anywhere in the South.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 09:50:32 PM »

What? In what way have I shown that I "have a problem with American independence"? All I am saying is that I do not believe you would be giving up you independece, Canada would be giving up their's, b/c they're much smaller. Got it?

Well, if you have no problem with American independence, then there should be no problem with the US and Canada remaining separate countries.  Problem solved!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

I never said Christianity = Racism.  You know that I never said that.

Never said that you did, I simply was stating that racism can not be considered conservatism because the South is basically filled with Christians and a racist Christian is no conservative at all because racism is against their faith's foundation - the NT.

---

And, at the old forum, you displayed much comtempt with European members.

Pointing out an unhealthy interest in someone else's business is not showing contempt.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »

Yes. You must develop a British accent and stop brushing your teeth. Immediately.....Actually that is a mystery to most Brits. If a backwater like England...

Funny how you can get away making such comments with being labeled as xenophobic.  
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2004, 10:10:31 PM »

Again, you fail to back up an argument without using the bible or religion.

Because you can't seem to understand the desire for privacy, I quoted a proverb showing that good neighbors mind their own business.

Only the wise respect proverbs, but the quote should end the argument nonetheless.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2004, 10:59:24 PM »

Hughento. Public healthcare is not too expensive. In Finland we have enough money for it. Why you would not have?

Actually that is a mystery to most Brits. If a backwater like England can afford free healthcare for all, why can't the richest country in the world?

It's not a question of whether we can, it's whether she should.  Many Americans are against socialized healthcare on principle.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2004, 01:07:14 AM »

Well, it shows CANADA'S opposition to Bush. I'm sure most European countries would follow suit, but prolly a little higher.

And your point is....what?  

Are they going to stop trading with the US?  No, they're obviously are more economically dependent on us than we are on them.

Roughly 40-45% of Canada's GDP depends on trade with the US, only 3% of US' GDP depends on trade with Canada (still the country US trade the most with).  However, 20-25% of US' GDP is related to international trade.  The question of dependancy is quite moot given the fact that US can't afford to close its economy with such numbers.

Many northern US states, such as PA and NY, have a Canadian province among the markets they trade the most with.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2004, 01:09:15 AM »

It's days like today that I wish canada was a state-in fact, a few states, then they'd have more EVs. If all the canadian provinces joined, what would there EVs be?

I dunno the actual pop'l of them all, but just estimating, it would be 3 for Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut, 5 for BC, 5 for Alberta, 4 for Manitoba, 4 for Sasketchewan, 16 for Ontario, 10 for Quebec, 4 for NB, 5 for Nova Scotia, 3 for PEI and 3 for Newfoundland, or so, which would mean 68 new EVs, most of which would go to the Democrats.

They'd win BC, Ontario, Quebec, NB and Nova Scotia, at least, eh?

Yukon, NWT and Nunavut are territories, not provinces.  I don't think the rest of the states would like 9 electors given to less than 90,000 people. Wink
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2004, 01:24:35 AM »

Alright, I'm just going to say a few things here.  First, I don't think Canada would EVER join the USA.  I don't see it as a possibility at all.  Why would a sovereign country want to give up their power to another?  Contrary to what most people believe, Canada does actually have quite a bit of say in the world.  Just look at who the Europeans look to ally with in America, if say the US doesn't back them?  Canada is also way to liberal to join the US, they are moving so far left of our more moderate thinking.  I would compare the majority of Canada Ontario and Quebec with the San Fransisco area.

All in all, Canada will never join the US in the near future, so all the debate is quite useless.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2004, 01:35:56 AM »

Alright, I'm just going to say a few things here.  First, I don't think Canada would EVER join the USA.  I don't see it as a possibility at all.  Why would a sovereign country want to give up their power to another?  Contrary to what most people believe, Canada does actually have quite a bit of say in the world.  Just look at who the Europeans look to ally with in America, if say the US doesn't back them?  Canada is also way to liberal to join the US, they are moving so far left of our more moderate thinking.  I would compare the majority of Canada Ontario and Quebec with the San Fransisco area.

All in all, Canada will never join the US in the near future, so all the debate is quite useless.

Most Canadians are reciprocal to your position Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2004, 01:37:18 AM »

Alright, I'm just going to say a few things here.  First, I don't think Canada would EVER join the USA.....All in all, Canada will never join the US in the near future, so all the debate is quite useless.

Also add to that the fact the US doesn't want to join with Canada.

Contrary to the opinion of others on this forum, it is totally healthy to want to be independent.  In fact, the mental illness is with those that mock independence.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2004, 01:42:28 AM »

Then again, when I was in Canada - how long ago now? 8 years? nine years? time flies... - quite some people out in Alberta were talking about it as an almost automatic consequence of Quebec independence. They mostly limited themselves to the Western part of Canada though, Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, possibliy Manitoba (those two would be pretty solid Dem territory, btw). But the threats to Canada's existence as a nation have very much receded sicne then. It was a possibility, it is not so now. It probably won't be again in the near-to-midterm future.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2004, 03:19:04 AM »

I'm not saying they *will*, i'm saying that if they did, I would welcome them with open arms.

also, it would bring the US pretty close to the worlds biggest country, at least rivalling Russia, anyway.

jmf-if people like you got there way back in the 19th century, you wouldn't even be part of the US.

Voluntary expansion has made this country great. if Canada joined, i am more then sure it would only help our own country.

And maybe the EVs for the territories could be edited, CO, eh? Cheesy

I know Alberta is fairly conservative, and that BC is extremely liberal, but I didn't know that Sasketchewan and Manitoba would be Democratic too. Even more reason for their admittance Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2004, 03:32:46 AM »

jmf-if people like you got there way back in the 19th century, you wouldn't even be part of the US.

How so?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2004, 06:51:57 AM »

Yes. You must develop a British accent and stop brushing your teeth. Immediately.....Actually that is a mystery to most Brits. If a backwater like England...

Funny how you can get away making such comments with being labeled as xenophobic.  

Huh? I'm a British citizen. How can having an ironic dig at your own country be regarded as xenophobic?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2004, 07:03:03 AM »

Canadians really think much more like Europeans than Americans.  Despite similarities with the US, Canadians really do have a very separate identity.

What gives the US its edge in the world is its differences with Europe, not its similarities, in my opinion.  Therefore, the addition of Canadian provinces would only bring the US closer to a European type of thinking, which would be bad thing in my opinion.

Also, our period of expansion was when there was a largely undeveloped frontier.  This period ended at the beginning of the last century.

Therefore, I think we should just stick with what we have, and let the Canadians stick with what they have.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies