15% of Canadians for Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:13:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  15% of Canadians for Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: 15% of Canadians for Bush  (Read 30917 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2004, 10:59:26 AM »

OK...then why the "that really isn't much like what I said"?
Read this thread starting at page 4 and you'll understand.

No, sorry, but I don't... Sad I guess I am just tired from sitting up late yesterday watching Sweden-Australia in tennis.

Don't bother, MiamiU is attempting to go off on a tangent because I have made a sound point in my argument with him.

He desires to illogical label those wanting independence as xenophobic in order to justify his attempts at controlling their lives.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2004, 11:03:21 AM »

In fact, I basically told Leip the same thing.
You see hwat I mean now, Gustaf?

Yes, but you quoted the wrong post, that's what caused the confusion in the first place. Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2004, 11:04:48 AM »

Yes, but you quoted the wrong post, that's what caused the confusion in the first place. Wink
Oh...well, I'm not perfect Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2004, 11:05:23 AM »

I have not argued the "case for a US/Canada union". Again, please stop labeling me with opinions tha i haven't expressed.

OK, this is probably a case of you getting into the middle of an debate between me and someone else.  I was arguing a case for independence and you inserted the following comment:

"I don't think the US would cease to be an independent country if you allowed Canada to join..."

A US/Canada union would obviously end US independence from Canada.

Living under the same roof as my next door neighbor may still have me independent of you, but I have still lost some independence nonetheless.

What I meant was that in the union you would decided everything, since you're a much bigger country, so you wouldn't lose much independence, instead you would gain control over Canada, so they would be the ones losing independece, mainly. I am a strong supporter of independent nation states and think that it's a good thing to let different nations maintain their individual ways of government.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2004, 11:06:39 AM »

Don't bother, MiamiU is attempting to go off on a tangent because I have made a sound point in my argument with him.

He desires to illogical label those wanting independence as xenophobic in order to justify his attempts at controlling their lives.
I do not blame you for wanting independence from canada. (I don't think the USA should unite with Canada.)  I do blame you for being the only forum member to openly stand up against the Europeans at the forum.  You did this alot at the old forum.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2004, 11:06:46 AM »

Oh...well, I'm not perfect Smiley

Few people are. Smiley Funny with these things, it was kind of a long-shot, since any other misquote would have given it away at a much earlier stage. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »

Maybe this thread wasn't such a good idea after all, I just thought it was a cute little poll I found.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2004, 11:08:32 AM »

Maybe this thread wasn't such a good idea after all, I just thought it was a cute little poll I found.

Well, a lively debate is usually nice, but this one got kind of carried away.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2004, 11:09:52 AM »

Well, a lively debate is usually nice, but this one got kind of carried away.
I didn't think this would be a debate thread...but then it just happened Sad
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2004, 11:13:35 AM »

What I meant was that in the union you would decided everything, since you're a much bigger country, so you wouldn't lose much independence, instead you would gain control over Canada, so they would be the ones losing independece, mainly.

OK, but I have no desire to take control of Canada, I have no desire to muck around in their business.  So let's just let sleeping dogs lie.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »

What I meant was that in the union you would decided everything, since you're a much bigger country, so you wouldn't lose much independence, instead you would gain control over Canada, so they would be the ones losing independece, mainly.

OK, but I have no desire to take control of Canada, I have no desire to muck around in their business.  So let's just let sleeping dogs lie.

I didn't say you had, I was, for the last time, not stating a position, since I am not from any of these countries it's not really my business anyway, I was just making an empirical evaluation of the "what-if" scenario. That's all.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2004, 11:29:10 AM »

I didn't think this would be a debate thread...but then it just happened Sad

Actually this thread has exposed some of the differences between modern conservatives and liberals:  Liberals want to force agreement, conservatives want the right to agree to disagree.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2004, 11:32:21 AM »

I didn't say you had, I was, for the last time, not stating a position, since I am not from any of these countries it's not really my business anyway, I was just making an empirical evaluation of the "what-if" scenario. That's all.

OK, but you shouldn't be surprised that you were thrown into the middle of the argument when you decided  to throw in your two cents. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2004, 11:33:39 AM »

I don't want forced agreement...however the point of debate may be to persuade other people to take your side of the argument.  That rarely happens, but I do believe that is the purpose of debate.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2004, 11:44:53 AM »

I do not blame you for wanting independence from canada. (I don't think the USA should unite with Canada.)  I do blame you for being the only forum member to openly stand up against the Europeans at the forum.  You did this alot at the old forum.

Yet you attributed my agrument with a fellow American on the subject of a US/Canada union as further evidence of my supposed "xenophobia".

But, as a matter of fact, I do find odd the desire to debate another country's internal politics.  

BUT...BUT...BUT...BUT...I also find odd the desire to debate your next door neighbor's internal family business.

So my supposed "xenophobia" is not tied to fact that someone is a foreigner, rather it has to do my lack of understand of the desire to mettle in someone else's business.

And I have taken great pains to explain my relationship with my next door neighbor, in order to make the point perfectly clear.

Yet you repeatedly keep labeling me "xenophobic" merely to stir up trouble between me and the foreign posters on this forum.  And you always seem to bring up the label when you have no other point to make.  Kinda like a white person labeling a black person a “n” in order to discredit their opinion.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2004, 11:47:59 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2004, 11:48:31 AM by jmfcst »

I don't want forced agreement...however the point of debate may be to persuade other people to take your side of the argument.  That rarely happens, but I do believe that is the purpose of debate.

Agreement can only take place when there is a common foundation so that the standard of "truth" can be defined and opinion measured against the standard.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

OK, but you shouldn't be surprised that you were thrown into the middle of the argument when you decided  to throw in your two cents. Smiley

No, but I don't generally expect to be attacked for opinions I haven't expressed and don't hold. But I will approach debates with more caution in the future, prepared for the unexpected... Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2004, 11:50:19 AM »

Agreement can only take place when there is a common foundation so that the standard of "truth" can be defined and opinion measured against the standard.

I would rather say that an agreement on facts have to be in place in order for a debate to be meaningful at all. People can draw different conclusions from facts, and it is often not objectively possible to distiguish who's right.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2004, 11:52:10 AM »

No, but I don't generally expect to be attacked for opinions I haven't expressed and don't hold. But I will approach debates with more caution in the future, prepared for the unexpected... Smiley

You know from personal experience, that when two people are arguing it is best to stay out of the argument unless you want to become the center of it.

You walked aboard this boat by your own choice.  The waves were just higher than you expected.

Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2004, 11:54:24 AM »

<<But, as a matter of fact, I do find odd the desire to debate another country's internal politics.>>

The USA is the world's lone superpower, the USA has a large impact on the lives of foreigners, so they have the right to take part in debate on the subject of the USA.

<<BUT...BUT...BUT...BUT...I also find odd the desire to debate your next door neighbor's internal family business.  And I have taken great pains to explain my relationship with my next door neighbor, in order to make the point perfectly clear.>>

Different Countries cannot be accurately labeled as neighboring families; the international relationships between countries is far more complex than that.

<<And you always seem to bring up the label when you have no other point to make.>>

If you nread this thread from the beginning, slapped the 'xenophobe' label on your back before this debate even started, so your last point is not truthful.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2004, 11:55:12 AM »

I would rather say that an agreement on facts have to be in place in order for a debate to be meaningful at all. People can draw different conclusions from facts, and it is often not objectively possible to distiguish who's right.

Yes and no.  Sometimes it is extremely obvious which party is contradicting themselves.  For example:  a Christian that believes they know more than Christ.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2004, 11:55:55 AM »

You know from personal experience, that when two people are arguing it is best to stay out of the argument unless you want to become the center of it.

You walked aboard this boat by your own choice.  The waves were just higher than you expected.

Smiley

I don't know what other personal experience you are referring to, but being a moderate can be tough. But I agree that I participate at my own risk, so I guess I will have to become tougher and meaner in order to survive in the forum jungle... Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »

This is one of the strangest threads I've encountered on the Board.  The idea of Canada or Britain joining the US and making it more left-wing makes me think of the converse - what if the US got rid of its more left wing parts?  I know plenty of people in the 'Bush states' (or 'red states' as the media has referred to them since 2000) that would be much happier if places like California and the Northeast would secede.  

I'm interested in the idea that union with Canada or GB would increase GDP.  I'm unconvinced - I think GDP growth is largely allowed/encouraged by right-wing (Liberal) economic policy, and retarded by left-wing policies.  Therefore a smaller, more right-wing country should actually be more prosperous.  For example Hong Kong.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »

Liberal Nation:

ME, VT, RI, MA, CT, NY, NJ, ILL, MI, CA, WA, HI, WV, MN, DE, DC, MO

Moderate Nation:

NH, VA, FLA, AR, WI, IA, PA, IN, OH, AZ, NM, CO, OR, TN, NV

Conservative Nation:

AL, AK, GA, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, MT, NE, NC, ND, OK, SC, SD, TX, UT, WY
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2004, 01:12:44 PM »

Red is liberal nation, blue is conservative nation, and grey is moderate nation:

Liberal nation actually leads in EV's, with 215 compared to conservative nation's 146 and moderate nation's 177.  

President of liberal nation: Al Gore
President of Conservative nation: George W. Bush
President of moderate nation: Colin Powell
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies