15% of Canadians for Bush (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:36:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  15% of Canadians for Bush (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 15% of Canadians for Bush  (Read 30929 times)
Canadian observer
Rookie

« on: February 07, 2004, 01:07:14 AM »

Well, it shows CANADA'S opposition to Bush. I'm sure most European countries would follow suit, but prolly a little higher.

And your point is....what?  

Are they going to stop trading with the US?  No, they're obviously are more economically dependent on us than we are on them.

Roughly 40-45% of Canada's GDP depends on trade with the US, only 3% of US' GDP depends on trade with Canada (still the country US trade the most with).  However, 20-25% of US' GDP is related to international trade.  The question of dependancy is quite moot given the fact that US can't afford to close its economy with such numbers.

Many northern US states, such as PA and NY, have a Canadian province among the markets they trade the most with.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 01:09:15 AM »

It's days like today that I wish canada was a state-in fact, a few states, then they'd have more EVs. If all the canadian provinces joined, what would there EVs be?

I dunno the actual pop'l of them all, but just estimating, it would be 3 for Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut, 5 for BC, 5 for Alberta, 4 for Manitoba, 4 for Sasketchewan, 16 for Ontario, 10 for Quebec, 4 for NB, 5 for Nova Scotia, 3 for PEI and 3 for Newfoundland, or so, which would mean 68 new EVs, most of which would go to the Democrats.

They'd win BC, Ontario, Quebec, NB and Nova Scotia, at least, eh?

Yukon, NWT and Nunavut are territories, not provinces.  I don't think the rest of the states would like 9 electors given to less than 90,000 people. Wink
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 01:35:56 AM »

Alright, I'm just going to say a few things here.  First, I don't think Canada would EVER join the USA.  I don't see it as a possibility at all.  Why would a sovereign country want to give up their power to another?  Contrary to what most people believe, Canada does actually have quite a bit of say in the world.  Just look at who the Europeans look to ally with in America, if say the US doesn't back them?  Canada is also way to liberal to join the US, they are moving so far left of our more moderate thinking.  I would compare the majority of Canada Ontario and Quebec with the San Fransisco area.

All in all, Canada will never join the US in the near future, so all the debate is quite useless.

Most Canadians are reciprocal to your position Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies