Office of Governor MAS117
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor MAS117
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Office of Governor MAS117  (Read 9477 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »

if the other 4 regions are still using the customary system. 

The other 4 regions are not all using the "customary system".
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »

I still think the question could be argued, and frankly, for reasons extending beyond a rather mundane question, should be argued.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »

I am glad there is a good debate on this bill. I am likewise glad to see that the bill has reached the Senate docket. I will support it there, for a change nationally. I am again restating my opposition to this bill as a regional issue, and if it passes I plan to exercise my veto powers once again on this bill.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »

I still think the question could be argued, and frankly, for reasons extending beyond a rather mundane question, should be argued.

Of course, I'm only talking about the regional bill.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »

My primary objection to this is that two months is too little time to conduct such a major shift.

My secondary objection is "What is the metric system?"

For instance, is the inch, defined as 25.4mm part of the metric system, or the liquid gallon (which is exactly 3.785411784 liters), or the pound avoirdupois (which is exactly 453.59237 grams)?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »

Although I am not in the region, I want to say something about the metric system bill:

Is it even legal?  Think about, it disturbs interstate commerce if the other 4 regions are still using the customary system.  While an awful idea put forth and supported by mostly people who in real-life reside outside the border of the United States, it seems if this is to be dealt with at all, it should be at the federal level only.

Well holy crap...I have similar concerns myself.

That in no way means the bill is per se unconstitutional, however, I'm sure arguments for both sides can be made.

I eagerly await a court battle. Smiley

Hopefully the inconsistency won't last too long as we have a Metric System Bill on the docket in the Senate (sponsored by myself).

It's important to note that the current bill actually doesn't mandate the use of the metric system by corporations, it just says that the government will use it and assumes (probably rightfully) that companies will follow suit. The government is perfectly within its rights to use whatever system of measurements it wants, and I cannot see a valid court case arising.

If the Government is using the metric system, then to conform to federal rules and regulations, private enterprise really has no choice but to put all their measurement in the metric system as well.

My primary objection to this is that two months is too little time to conduct such a major shift.

My secondary objection is "What is the metric system?"

For instance, is the inch, defined as 25.4mm part of the metric system, or the liquid gallon (which is exactly 3.785411784 liters), or the pound avoirdupois (which is exactly 453.59237 grams)?

No.  The inch is customary, as is the liquid gallon and the pound.  It is all but universally agreed that the metric system is the International System of Units (SI) as being defined by the General Conference on Weights and Measures.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 01:38:07 AM »

Bills on the Governor's desk for signature or veto:
Metric System Bill

I, MAS117, Governor of the Northeast, hereby veto the following bill:

Metric System Bill

x Governor MAS117
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »

*golf clap*
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

Although I supported the bill, I can't say I'm too bothered. I just hope that the national effort garners sufficient support in the Senate.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »

Although I supported the bill, I can't say I'm too bothered. I just hope that the national effort garners sufficient support in the Senate.

I concur with the Senator.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2007, 05:20:43 PM »

Although I proposed the bill, and I'm not happy of MAS' decision, I hope the national movement will gather sufficient support in the Senate to become nationwide.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2007, 03:11:59 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Northeast, there has recently been a lot of speculation regarding my administration and the February 2008 elections. I'd first like to say I stand by all actions taken by my administration in signing and vetoing legislation. The people of this region elected me with 87% of the vote, and I intend to use that mandate to serve the Northeast the best way I can, whether that be signing legislation vital to the Northeast, or vetoing legislation deemed unfit.

On the other hand, I have made no decision regarding February reelection. I plan to use this time  to govern and not play politics. When I reach my decision the people of the Northeast will be the first ones to know.

x Governor MAS117
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 07:57:56 AM »

I support you 100% for whatever your future plans may be. You've done a terrific job as our Governor, and I hope that you have a long stay in elected office.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »

I support you 100% for whatever your future plans may be. You've done a terrific job as our Governor, and I hope that you have a long stay in elected office.

Thank you Andrew.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007, 02:16:33 PM »

I agree with Andrew, you have always been a good governor, I hope I can learn some lessons from you lol
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »

In terms of this months propositions, I support all the propositions named expect for the Public School Vouchers Act. I would still like Mr. Moderate to change the wording for the highway bill due to the fact that Fez and Rin Chan are still living. I still have not decided about the death penalty bill as well. It is definitely a step in the right direction, I am just concerned about a couple of sections.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »

In terms of this months propositions, I support all the propositions named expect for the Public School Vouchers Act. I would still like Mr. Moderate to change the wording for the highway bill due to the fact that Fez and Rin Chan are still living. I still have not decided about the death penalty bill as well. It is definitely a step in the right direction, I am just concerned about a couple of sections.

If I strike all instances of "memorial" from the bill, does it need to be re-approved via signatures?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing your concerns regarding my death penalty bill.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »

If I strike all instances of "memorial" from the bill, does it need to be re-approved via signatures?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing your concerns regarding my death penalty bill.

I don't believe it needs to be re-approved, your only changing one word, take it as a friendly amendment of that kind. If you could address the carbon monoxide poisoning that would be nice. I've never heard of that in terms of capital punishment. I'm also just thinking about Section 1 as well, and what types of crimes should be included.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »

I don't believe it needs to be re-approved, your only changing one word, take it as a friendly amendment of that kind. If you could address the carbon monoxide poisoning that would be nice. I've never heard of that in terms of capital punishment. I'm also just thinking about Section 1 as well, and what types of crimes should be included.

Well, one of the debates that constantly arise with the death penalty is whether the general, prefered method of lethal injection is indeed humane.  A number of medical experts contend that death by lethal injection is a painful method that escapes being fool-proof, a pain often masked to witnesses by an injected paralytic agent.

It has been increasingly suggested that death by carbon monoxide poisoning is a prefered, painless, and more humane way to administer death.  Lethal injection requires medical training and expertise, whereas poisoning by carbon monoxide requires a tank of gas and proper ventilation for those bearing witness.

The American Veterinary Medical Association, in a report outlining varying methods of euthanasia, describes the advantages of carbon monoxide poisoning to be as follows:
(1) Carbon monoxide induces loss of consciousness without pain and with minimal discernible discomfort.
(2) Hypoxemia induced by CO is insidious, so that the animal appears to be unaware.
(3) Death occurs rapidly if concentrations of 4 to 6% are used.

While the business of causing human death is unpleasant no matter the circumstances, it should be the policy of the Northeast to do so, when required, in the most humane way possible.  That is why I personally believe the Northeast should dispose of the lethal injection method, and instead institute the painless use of carbon monoxide as a euthanasia agent.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

For further reference, here is an associated article in New Scientist.  A relevant passage:

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »

Well, one of the debates that constantly arise with the death penalty is whether the general, prefered method of lethal injection is indeed humane.  A number of medical experts contend that death by lethal injection is a painful method that escapes being fool-proof, a pain often masked to witnesses by an injected paralytic agent.

It has been increasingly suggested that death by carbon monoxide poisoning is a prefered, painless, and more humane way to administer death.  Lethal injection requires medical training and expertise, whereas poisoning by carbon monoxide requires a tank of gas and proper ventilation for those bearing witness.

The American Veterinary Medical Association, in a report outlining varying methods of euthanasia, describes the advantages of carbon monoxide poisoning to be as follows:
(1) Carbon monoxide induces loss of consciousness without pain and with minimal discernible discomfort.
(2) Hypoxemia induced by CO is insidious, so that the animal appears to be unaware.
(3) Death occurs rapidly if concentrations of 4 to 6% are used.

While the business of causing human death is unpleasant no matter the circumstances, it should be the policy of the Northeast to do so, when required, in the most humane way possible.  That is why I personally believe the Northeast should dispose of the lethal injection method, and instead institute the painless use of carbon monoxide as a euthanasia agent.

Has this ever been used in a capital punishment case in real life? Or just being thought about?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »

I would like to see more debate from both sides about the merits of the Snowmobile bill as well.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »

Has this ever been used in a capital punishment case in real life? Or just being thought about?

Not in the United States, to the best of my knowledge.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »

I call upon the Governor to veto or pass the bills that made it to the December Propositions Ballot.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2007, 02:18:55 AM »

Point of order: The Election Day Act, having failed to achieve the constitutionally required 50%+1 majority (the certified result was a 7-7-1 tie), should not be presented to the Governor for his signature.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies