Office of Governor MAS117
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor MAS117
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Office of Governor MAS117  (Read 9354 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

Thank you all!
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »

Bills on the Governor's desk for signature or veto:
Death Penalty Abolition Bill
Rapid Transit Investment Bill
Fluorescent Light Bulb Recycling Bill
Proposition on the Officialization of the Separation of Religion and State
Public Access to the Legislative Record Bill
Health Insurance Option Restoration Act
Children’s Health Care Act
Adoption Reform Bill

I, MAS117, Governor of the Northeast, hereby sign the following bills into law:

Rapid Transit Investment Bill
Fluorescent Light Bulb Recycling Bill
Proposition on the Officialization of the Separation of Religion and State
Public Access to the Legislative Record Bill
Children’s Health Care Act

I, MAS117, Governor of the Northeast, hereby sign the following bills into law with the following conditions:

**Health Insurance Option Restoration Act**

I sign into law Section I of the Health Insurance Option Restoration Act while using my Line Item Veto power to VETO Section II.

**Adoption Reform Bill**

I sign into law Section II of the Adoption Reform Bill and use my Line Item Veto power to VETO Section I.

I, MAS117, Governor of the Northeast, hereby veto the following bill:

Death Penalty Abolition Bill

x Governor MAS117
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »

Statement from the Governor
My fellow Northeasterners, today was a historic day in the region. Our legislature passed a ton of bills. It has been a long time since there has been genuine  legislative interest in the region, and I commend everyone who put forth bills. I am here tonight to explain why I vetoed several pieces  of legislation.

I believe that the Death Penalty Abolition Bill is wrong. I a supporter of the Death Penalty and do not wish to overturn it. While I advocate a rare use of the measure, it is needed for the most heinous crimes committed.

I used my line item veto power to veto two parts of two bills. The first, Section I of the Health Insurance Option Restoration Act. I vetoed it because I do not believe that it is the right of the government or several governments to tax free enterprises if they do not give out health insurance. While I believe all businesses should give health insurance it is not the governments place to mandate it. As per the Adoption Reform Bill, I vetoed Section I because it applies to all adoptions even private ones. The Government should not be enforcing these restrictions on private adoption agencies, even though I strongly believe in the intent of the bill. I welcome more legislation that more clearly defines the issue in the future.

Thank you for all participating in this months session of the legislature. I would like to thank the President of the General Assembly, Lt. Governor Rock Republican for his hard work and dedication. I would also like to thank those who voted for me for reelection, it is much appreciated!

x Governor MAS117
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »

I believe that the Death Penalty Abolition Bill is wrong. I a supporter of the Death Penalty and do not wish to overturn it. While I advocate a rare use of the measure, it is needed for the most heinous crimes committed.

While I hesitate to applaud something as serious and morally troubling as the death penalty, I think the Governor made the correct choice here, and I support him in his controversial veto.

Judging by the vote totals of the Northeast Regional Assembly, it does not appear that there is enough support for an override of the veto at this time.  I would encourage supporters of a death penalty ban to focus their support on creating limitations to the use of the death penalty.

A good place to start may be the "Romney" plan which the former Governor of Massachusetts tried to introduce, which places strict, scientific-based requirements on the death penalty:

• Limit the use of the death penalty for terrorist acts, murders involving torture, the killing of active duty law enforcement officers, and murder sprees,
  • A switch from "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "no doubt" for death penalty cases,
  • Allows for jurors who do not support the death penalty to serve in death penalty cases,
  • Defendants under 18 and those who are "mentally ill" may not be prosecuted under the death penalty,
  • Jurors must find that there is ''conclusive evidence" reaching a ''high level of scientific certainty" linking the defendant to the crime scene, the murder weapon, or the victim's body before a death sentence can be imposed. This evidence may include DNA evidence, footwear impressions, fingerprints, ballistics, and photographs.

In addition, I thank the Governor for signing into law part of my Health Insurance Option Restoration Act.  I do respectfully disagree with the line item veto, but I will not seek its override.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »

While I hesitate to applaud something as serious and morally troubling as the death penalty, I think the Governor made the correct choice here, and I support him in his controversial veto.

Excuse me Mr. Moderate, I was not trying to applaud the death penalty. My word choice there was terrible. What I meant to convey was that I think it is necessary for the most serious of crimes, and that it must be kept on the table as at least an option.

I urge you to introduce that death penalty plan, in the next session of props. I would definitely consider supporting something like this.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »

Excuse me Mr. Moderate, I was not trying to applaud the death penalty. My word choice there was terrible. What I meant to convey was that I think it is necessary for the most serious of crimes, and that it must be kept on the table as at least an option.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were.  I was just trying to say that I personally did not want to show too much support to the practice that I view as a necessary evil.

Indeed, I'll introduce a set of strict death penalty guidelines in time for the next Assembly session.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »

I am disappointed by the Governor's veto of both the Death Penalty Abolition Bill and the most important aspect of the Adoption Reform Bill, the latter of which is key anti-discrimination legislation that should certainly apply to all agencies as much as anti-discrimination laws apply to all employers. I will be reintroducing both bills in new forms next month in hopes of garnering enough support to override these vetoes.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2007, 11:43:54 PM »

I am disappointed by the Governor's veto of both the Death Penalty Abolition Bill and the most important aspect of the Adoption Reform Bill, the latter of which is key anti-discrimination legislation that should certainly apply to all agencies as much as anti-discrimination laws apply to all employers. I will be reintroducing both bills in new forms next month in hopes of garnering enough support to override these vetoes.

Just to be clear I announced my intentions weeks ago to veto the death penalty abolition bill. As per the Adoption Reform Bill, while I agree with the statement in principle and I think that no one should discriminate against anyone in terms of adoption, I do not believe that it is the governments job to interfere in private enterprise in this matter.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were.  I was just trying to say that I personally did not want to show too much support to the practice that I view as a necessary evil.

Indeed, I'll introduce a set of strict death penalty guidelines in time for the next Assembly session.

I look forward to supporting such a piece of legislation that will hopefully satisfy the members of the Northeast who voted for this bill.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »

Just to be clear I announced my intentions weeks ago to veto the death penalty abolition bill. As per the Adoption Reform Bill, while I agree with the statement in principle and I think that no one should discriminate against anyone in terms of adoption, I do not believe that it is the governments job to interfere in private enterprise in this matter.

Frankly, if government won't do it, who will? This is not the government forcing people to do anything.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »

I for one applaud the Governor's decisions.  I may not agree with all the bills signed, but it was a brave thing to veto the death penalty bill.  The death penalty is necessary and appropriate and I'm proud to live in a region that is not afraid to discipline criminals appropriately.
I agree with the decision of the Governor as well.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 02:40:56 AM »

Thank you to all who participated in October's propositions. November's will begin this Thursday, November 1st. All introduced legislation must have 3 signatures of Northeast voters by November 15th. Following this period, there will be a week of voting. Thank you.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 03:17:09 AM »

Just like to inform citizens of the Northeast, that the public records are now updated to the end of 2005 and the Governorship of Earl Andrew Washburn. I'll get started on the start of 2006 tomorrow.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2007, 12:11:17 PM »

I would just like to state that I am against all of the current legislation up this month in the Northeast. While in general I am not opposed to the metric bill, I feel that this is something that can not be done on a region to region basis. I would urge Senator Verily to introduce this in the Senate, in which case I will gladly support it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »

I would just like to state that I am against all of the current legislation up this month in the Northeast. While in general I am not opposed to the metric bill, I feel that this is something that can not be done on a region to region basis. I would urge Senator Verily to introduce this in the Senate, in which case I will gladly support it.

So, if I understand correctly, it would all be useless to propose it and pass them because you'd veto them anyway...
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »

So, if I understand correctly, it would all be useless to propose it and pass them because you'd veto them anyway...

Unless you think support could reach 2/3.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »

Would you veto legislation that has passed the people or not?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2007, 04:30:13 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2007, 04:43:53 PM by Gov. MAS117 »

Would you veto legislation that has passed the people or not?

Yes I obviously would. I did it in the last session as well. Honestly, besides the death penalty stuff, I feel like people are just throwing up random stuff just to have something to vote on. I want substance. That however does not go into my decision regarding whether to sign or veto legislation. With that said I appreciate Hesh and Verily and the others who are working hard and using the legislature like it should be used, bringing back life to the regional legislature like it was intended for.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2007, 10:46:31 PM »

The November Proposition ballot for the Northeast is now offically open. Please follow the Link to vote.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2007, 11:44:41 PM »

I would like to take a moment to announce my support of the Governor's planned veto of the Metric System bill should it pass.

While a good intentioned bill, there is no need to legislate public acceptance of the metric system—a system of measurement that the public has been loathe to accept in the past.  It will cause a good deal of expense for industry to accomodate to government standards.

As someone with an engineering background, the fact that the metric system is easier to work with than the customary system is not lost on me.  But honestly, this bill is forcing the public to go through a whole bunch of inconvienence for very little, if any, gain.

Let the free market do its job here.  If the metric system was deemed to be superior by the public of Atlasia, there'd be absolutely no need for this bill.  If people prefer their speed limit signs in miles per hour, their furnaces rated in BTUs, and their temperatures given in Fahrenheit, then that's fine with me.  I'm not going to try to force them to think differently.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »

I must disagree with the above. There are times when the government can act more effectively than market forces. These times are not necessarily common, but conversion of measures is surely one of them. It is difficult to impossible for the market to fix a path-dependent error such as units of measurement, but the government can do so much more easily.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »

Although I am not in the region, I want to say something about the metric system bill:

Is it even legal?  Think about, it disturbs interstate commerce if the other 4 regions are still using the customary system.  While an awful idea put forth and supported by mostly people who in real-life reside outside the border of the United States, it seems if this is to be dealt with at all, it should be at the federal level only.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »

Although I am not in the region, I want to say something about the metric system bill:

Is it even legal?  Think about, it disturbs interstate commerce if the other 4 regions are still using the customary system.  While an awful idea put forth and supported by mostly people who in real-life reside outside the border of the United States, it seems if this is to be dealt with at all, it should be at the federal level only.

Well holy crap...I have similar concerns myself.

That in no way means the bill is per se unconstitutional, however, I'm sure arguments for both sides can be made.

I eagerly await a court battle. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

Well holy crap...I have similar concerns myself.

That in no way means the bill is per se unconstitutional, however, I'm sure arguments for both sides can be made.

I eagerly await a court battle. Smiley

Hopefully the inconsistency won't last too long as we have a Metric System Bill on the docket in the Senate (sponsored by myself).

It's important to note that the current bill actually doesn't mandate the use of the metric system by corporations, it just says that the government will use it and assumes (probably rightfully) that companies will follow suit. The government is perfectly within its rights to use whatever system of measurements it wants, and I cannot see a valid court case arising.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies