Office of Governor MAS117 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:42:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor MAS117 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Governor MAS117  (Read 9469 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »

I would like to thank Governor MAS for this opportunity to serve the people of the Northeast. I hope I am able to meet their expectations.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »

Welcome to the jolly and overpopulated Northeast Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »

I also endorse our good Governor for reelection.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »

I am disappointed by the Governor's veto of both the Death Penalty Abolition Bill and the most important aspect of the Adoption Reform Bill, the latter of which is key anti-discrimination legislation that should certainly apply to all agencies as much as anti-discrimination laws apply to all employers. I will be reintroducing both bills in new forms next month in hopes of garnering enough support to override these vetoes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »

I am disappointed by the Governor's veto of both the Death Penalty Abolition Bill and the most important aspect of the Adoption Reform Bill, the latter of which is key anti-discrimination legislation that should certainly apply to all agencies as much as anti-discrimination laws apply to all employers. I will be reintroducing both bills in new forms next month in hopes of garnering enough support to override these vetoes.

Just to be clear I announced my intentions weeks ago to veto the death penalty abolition bill. As per the Adoption Reform Bill, while I agree with the statement in principle and I think that no one should discriminate against anyone in terms of adoption, I do not believe that it is the governments job to interfere in private enterprise in this matter.

Frankly, if government won't do it, who will? This is not the government forcing people to do anything.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »

I must disagree with the above. There are times when the government can act more effectively than market forces. These times are not necessarily common, but conversion of measures is surely one of them. It is difficult to impossible for the market to fix a path-dependent error such as units of measurement, but the government can do so much more easily.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

Although I am not in the region, I want to say something about the metric system bill:

Is it even legal?  Think about, it disturbs interstate commerce if the other 4 regions are still using the customary system.  While an awful idea put forth and supported by mostly people who in real-life reside outside the border of the United States, it seems if this is to be dealt with at all, it should be at the federal level only.

Well holy crap...I have similar concerns myself.

That in no way means the bill is per se unconstitutional, however, I'm sure arguments for both sides can be made.

I eagerly await a court battle. Smiley

Hopefully the inconsistency won't last too long as we have a Metric System Bill on the docket in the Senate (sponsored by myself).

It's important to note that the current bill actually doesn't mandate the use of the metric system by corporations, it just says that the government will use it and assumes (probably rightfully) that companies will follow suit. The government is perfectly within its rights to use whatever system of measurements it wants, and I cannot see a valid court case arising.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

Although I supported the bill, I can't say I'm too bothered. I just hope that the national effort garners sufficient support in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies