1968 Senate Majority Leader Vs Senate Minority Leader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:56:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968 Senate Majority Leader Vs Senate Minority Leader
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968 Senate Majority Leader Vs Senate Minority Leader  (Read 1128 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »

In an entirely unexpected upset, Democrats nominate Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield of Montana for President.  Mansfield has been in the Senate since 1953, and is 65 years old.

Mansfield picks Governor John Connally of Texas, age 51, for Vice President.  Connally has been Governor since 1963.

In an equally stunning upset, the Republicans nominate Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen of Illinois for President.  Dirksen has been in the Senate since 1951, and is 72 years old.

Dirksen picks Governor John Love of Colorado, age 52, for Vice President.  Love has been Governor since 1963.

Please discuss.

Use maps if you wish.
gorkay

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »

Dirksen was pretty popular back then. He had a hit record a few years before, and he had played a major role in getting civil-rights legislation through Congress. I'd give him the edge, although since the war was such a big issue, the candidates' stances on it would have had a big effect. I'm pretty sure Mansfield supported LBJ's policies, but I don't remember Dirksen's views on it. You also have to factor in whether or not Wallace would run, and whether liberals and other anti-war activists would have reacted to the relative conservatism of the major-party tickets with a stronger third-party effort.

BTW, my father, who was a television newsman, once interviewed Dirksen and asked him what he did to keep his magnificent speaking voice in such good shape. Dirksen told him that he rubbed his throat with cold cream daily.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »

Mansfield/Connally: 288
Dirksen/Love: 250
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length