Appalachian North Carolina vs. Appalachian Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:27:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Appalachian North Carolina vs. Appalachian Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Appalachian North Carolina vs. Appalachian Virginia  (Read 2198 times)
Oedipus Rex
theleftisright
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »

Looking at the edge of each state, it appears there are a lot more Democratic voters in the Western edge of NC than in Virginia.  Specifically, Obama kept Romney in Madison, Swain, Jackson, and Haywood Counties down to the mid 50's, while in Virginia's Southwest tip, all of the counties went 60%+ for Romney.  I know that SW Virginia swung hard against Obama because it's coal country, but isn't Western NC coal country as well?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »

No coal in NC.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »

In North Carolina it's illegal to have a building that obstructs the natural curvature of a mountain, let alone a coal mining operation.
Oedipus Rex
theleftisright
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »

In North Carolina it's illegal to have a building that obstructs the natural curvature of a mountain, let alone a coal mining operation.

Interesting.  I just saw a map of coal mines by county and it had a lot of Western Virginia, as well as WVA, most of Kentucky, and the eastern half of TN, but NC was completely not on there.

Why did NC adopt this law but not other parts of Appalachia?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »

Cuts off Tennessee some, but the coalfields swing well west of NC
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

There's also a very strong blue dog tradition is large sections of WNC which goes back, I believe to the civil war (although it varies immensely by county).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »

There is a small area of coal in Chatham Co in Central NC, but it's not as central to the economy and identity, and there was not much swing from 08 to 12.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »

There is a small area of coal in Chatham Co in Central NC, but it's not as central to the economy and identity, and there was not much swing from 08 to 12.
Chatham also has a lot of Democratic spillover from Chapel Hill/Durham, also.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »

Yet some geniuses at the NRSC thought an effective line of attack on Hagan would be the War on Coal.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 03:32:07 AM »

I don't know about Southwestern VA, but Western NC is home to several colleges and universities, whose grad students and faculty members I imagine live across its various counties. This may cause the region to be more liberal than its Appalachian counterpart in Virginia.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 03:59:51 AM »

I don't know about Southwestern VA, but Western NC is home to several colleges and universities, whose grad students and faculty members I imagine live across its various counties. This may cause the region to be more liberal than its Appalachian counterpart in Virginia.

Actually VA-09 has a good amount; Washington and Lee, Emory and Henry, Virginia Tech and Roanoke College are all located there.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

This is part of the reason that Democrats shouldn't be as optimistic about NC as VA and FL (or maybe even GA) IMO.  There are still a lot of blue dog voters left in Appalachian and eastern NC so Republicans have plenty of room to grow with the rural vote to offset the new urban Dems unlike in neighboring states.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »

This is part of the reason that Democrats shouldn't be as optimistic about NC as VA and FL (or maybe even GA) IMO.  There are still a lot of blue dog voters left in Appalachian and eastern NC so Republicans have plenty of room to grow with the rural vote to offset the new urban Dems unlike in neighboring states.
It should be noted that these blue dog voters in WNC are a very small portion of NC's population.

Also, several WNC counties, such as Buncombe, Watauga, Transylvania, and Polk have a large leftist hippy-ish contingent which is obviously less willing to vote for the pubs.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »

It should be noted that theseblue dog voters in WNC are a very small portion of NC's population.

Also, several WNC counties, such as Buncombe, Watauga, Transylvania, and Polk have a large leftist hippy-ish contingent which is obviously less willing to vote for the pubs.

Agreed on Appalachian NC, but I would be a lot more worried about greater SE NC slipping out from under Democrats over the next decade.  It has enough population to be relevant.  A lot of surprisingly rural areas there actually trended left in 2012, though.  NC is also diversifying more slowly than its neighbors.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »

It should be noted that theseblue dog voters in WNC are a very small portion of NC's population.

Agreed on Appalachian NC, but I would be a lot more worried about greater SE NC slipping out from under Democrats over the next decade.  It has enough population to be relevant.  A lot of surprisingly rural areas there actually trended left in 2012, though.  NC is also diversifying more slowly than its neighbors.

Robeson and Cumberland Counties are growing and getting less white. New Hanover is slowly trending D, but Brunswick is getting wealthier and more conservative.
illegaloperation

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »

Nonsense! That's like somebody in 2000 saying that Democrats shouldn't be optimistic in Virginia because they haven't collapsed in southwest Virginia yet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »

Asheville is a fast-growing and ever-more-austinizing city. Boone is a hippy college town in a once very Civil War Republican county. Jackson and Swain have a pretty sizable Native American Reservation.
Apart from that, Western North Carolina is mostly Republican and has been for a long time.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

Asheville is a fast-growing and ever-more-austinizing city. Boone is a hippy college town in a once very Civil War Republican county. Jackson and Swain have a pretty sizable Native American Reservation.
Apart from that, Western North Carolina is mostly Republican and has been for a long time.
What about areas like Madison County?

Anyway, btw, does anyone know precisely why Henderson County is so pubbie? I know it has lots and lots of Floridian Retirees, but it isn't like there's a shortage of them in the other mountain counties. I don't think Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville spillover is the answer, although I'm not sure. Unionist Stronghold?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

What about areas like Madison County?

Anyway, btw, does anyone know precisely why Henderson County is so pubbie? I know it has lots and lots of Floridian Retirees, but it isn't like there's a shortage of them in the other mountain counties. I don't think Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville spillover is the answer, although I'm not sure. Unionist Stronghold?

Looking at some county maps from the late 19th/early 20th century, there seems to be case for this. It was usually more R than the counties surrounding it.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »

Obama was a bad fit for WNC, it will be very interesting to see what happens in 2016 in WNC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies