Entomophagy: Should eating insects be socially acceptable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Entomophagy: Should eating insects be socially acceptable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's your opinion on eating insects?
It should be encouraged! Certain insects are extremely healthy for you, not to mention abundant. And resources are strained as it is by conventional agriculture .

I'd try it out, and it should be legal.

I wouldn't try it, but it should be legal

It's disgusting and it should be illegal. It's not sanitary.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Entomophagy: Should eating insects be socially acceptable?  (Read 8148 times)
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
« edited: September 24, 2007, 10:10:09 PM by A Cold Glass Of Hitler »

In numerous cultures world-wide, including that of my mother, eating insects is socially acceptable. Obviously, that is not the case here and other areas in the West. My question is, should we attempt to do away with this taboo? I'm of the opinion that we should, I mean look at these advantages:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not to mention they add a little spice and extra-variety to our national palette.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

You can't "get rid" of a taboo or make something socially acceptable, however people might come to accept certain behaviors over time.    Personally, I don't see what's wrong with eating insects, although I would not do so myself.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »

You can't "get rid" of a taboo or make something socially acceptable, however people might come to accept certain behaviors over time.

That's pretty much what I meant.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:37:05 PM »

Should be legal, I'd never do it.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:41:10 PM »

Not even chocolate ants?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »

No.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »

You realize you (unintentionally) consume insect parts daily anyway, right? It's impossible to get them out of certain fruit, vegetables, etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:49:06 PM »

That doesn't mean I'm going to deliberately and knowingly eat them.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:34 AM »

As long as I don't have to watch other people eat them whilst I am also trying to eat they should be legal.  Tongue  I'm not too keen on eating any arthropods that don't come from the ocean but if other people want to do it I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:37:23 AM »

Wait, is this illegal somewhere?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »

I frankly just don't give a flying f**k. I doubt I'd eat a living insect like on Survivor, but I suppose if you cooked them in a certain way I might give one a try.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »

I had enough trouble trying octopus. 

I mean... a steak or..

a really tough, leathery, suction-cuppy, crap tasting hunk of sea creature over rice?

I'll take steak, please.

I don't think I could knowingly consume insects.  I know I've probably eaten my share of insects including spiders, mosquitoes, flies, etc. over my life time... but I couldn't do it knowingly.

I MIGHT try fried grasshoppers... and they might even be delicious.. but, to me, even if the flavor is excellent, there's always the texture to get over.  I won't eat insects just like I won't eat beef flavored jello.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:49:53 AM »

I had enough trouble trying octopus. 

I mean... a steak or..

a really tough, leathery, suction-cuppy, crap tasting hunk of sea creature over rice?

I'll take steak, please.

I'd try some calimari again if I were you, just at a different place - it's always a bit chewy, but how it's cooked has a big impact.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »

I'd try insects.  Why not?  It's not unhealthy - probably healthier.  It's not as if they object to dying even as much as cows or pigs.  I mean, to each their own, but this seems like a silly cultural taboo.

Considering the crap the average American eats in a given week, it's pretty amusing we're getting upset over bugs.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 11:42:29 AM »

If you want to dine on cockroaches its OK by me, but I think I'll pass.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »

I'm probably one of the few people on the board who regularly eat insects.. by regularly I mean every couple months I'll get a bag of grubs and/or a back of crickets, grasshoppers, whatever, from one of the fried insect ladies on the street.  They usually have fried shrimps too.  Everything is somewhat pre-cooked as far as I can tell, and she just fries it in hot oil with some herbs, tosses it in a bag, and sprays it with a salty sauce from a bottle. 

They really are a delicious snack, very salty and oily, that go well with beer or soft drinks.  Only warning is they're good for a between-meals snack but bad as an appetizer, as they're quite filling.  I can never finish mine, and always share them with the working girls.

NDN is your mother from Thailand?  Specifically Isaan?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:50 PM »

Other than fried insects, what kind of dishes do they prepare with insects, Opie?  Any main courses?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

I'd try insects.  Why not?  It's not unhealthy - probably healthier.  It's not as if they object to dying even as much as cows or pigs.  I mean, to each their own, but this seems like a silly cultural taboo.

Considering the crap the average American eats in a given week, it's pretty amusing we're getting upset over bugs.
Quoted for truth. Personally I find crap like fried twinkies far more disgusting than eating cooked grasshoppers.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »

Other than fried insects, what kind of dishes do they prepare with insects, Opie?  Any main courses?

Well, there is a delicious (but somewhat 'rich') spicy sauce that is prepared from a huge water-bug that does look a bit like a cockroach.  It is served with all sorts of dishes, though it is not a staple.  I was most recently given it when in the market I bought a brace of flame-grilled frogs (toads?).

As for in a main dish, the only one I know of is a famous one - a lovely soup here in Isaan that contains ant eggs.  There are several very 'earthy' soups here that are somewhat but not super spicy but full of herbs - they can dark green or even black.  

I love the ant egg soup - there are even sometimes a few stray ants in it.. oh and also I saw a cool traditional dance that depicts the young men and women going out to collect ants in the forest, and using it as an opportunity to flirt and even touch.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »

I'm probably one of the few people on the board who regularly eat insects.. by regularly I mean every couple months I'll get a bag of grubs and/or a back of crickets, grasshoppers, whatever, from one of the fried insect ladies on the street.  They usually have fried shrimps too.  Everything is somewhat pre-cooked as far as I can tell, and she just fries it in hot oil with some herbs, tosses it in a bag, and sprays it with a salty sauce from a bottle. 

They really are a delicious snack, very salty and oily, that go well with beer or soft drinks.  Only warning is they're good for a between-meals snack but bad as an appetizer, as they're quite filling.  I can never finish mine, and always share them with the working girls.

NDN is your mother from Thailand?  Specifically Isaan?
NDN is from new england and has never tried eating insects. He's just open-minded to the possibility.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

A mix of options 1 and 3.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 12:56:23 PM »

Well, there is a delicious (but somewhat 'rich') spicy sauce that is prepared from a huge water-bug that does look a bit like a cockroach.  It is served with all sorts of dishes, though it is not a staple.  I was most recently given it when in the market I bought a brace of flame-grilled frogs (toads?).

That sounds awesome.  What kind of taste does it have?

As for in a main dish, the only one I know of is a famous one - a lovely soup here in Isaan that contains ant eggs.  There are several very 'earthy' soups here that are somewhat but not super spicy but full of herbs - they can dark green or even black.

Soups would make sense.  I suppose there's a limited range of what you can do with something so small.

I love the ant egg soup - there are even sometimes a few stray ants in it.. oh and also I saw a cool traditional dance that depicts the young men and women going out to collect ants in the forest, and using it as an opportunity to flirt and even touch.

How common are these dishes?  Obviously not staples, but can you find them in virtually every town?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 12:57:13 PM »

An interesting set of choices... why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »

There are abundant insects that are healthy for you - I have no problem acknowledging that fact. I don't necessarily think eating insects should be "encouraged", but I don't think it should be discouraged either. But I've no particular intention to try it. (I know a guy who, when he catches an ant, pops it into his mouth and eats it, btw.)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »

There are abundant insects that are healthy for you - I have no problem acknowledging that fact. I don't necessarily think eating insects should be "encouraged", but I don't think it should be discouraged either. But I've no particular intention to try it. (I know a guy who, when he catches an ant, pops it into his mouth and eats it, btw.)
Ah fair enough. I'd advise against eating wild caught insects(pesticides) so your friend isn't exactly doing the smart thing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies