If Mitt Romney Was Not A Mormon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:30:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  If Mitt Romney Was Not A Mormon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Mitt Romney Was Not A Mormon  (Read 5813 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »

If Romney wasn't a Mormon then...

he wouldn't be winning in Utah and Idaho... that's about all the difference it would make.  I think what mot people are concerned about is his seeming inability to agree with himself on most topics.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 08:00:52 AM »

and Christians are attacked all the time by the elites for being holy rollers....

anyone remember that map published on a variety of lefty websites the day after the 2004 election - red and blue state map  of the U S election results with the red being labeled "Jesusland"

Given the role of the Christian right in that election it only makes sense.

Even if Romney weren't a mormon - he's still a flip-flopper from the NE who the southernern baptists won't trust and won't have any significant regional effect.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »

If Romney was not a Mormon... he would still be a disingenuous prick.

Someone please explain to me why Romney is a strong candidate aside from his religion, I just don't get it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 01:42:16 AM »

Someone please explain to me why Romney is a strong candidate aside from his religion, I just don't get it.

His strongest point is his charisma.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 02:11:24 AM »

I don't think he's charismatic at all.  I think he's a cold fish.  Why is he charismatic, because he looks like he was built by a focus group?  To me, charisma means an ability to connect with an individual in the audience and make them think that they can trust you and believe in you.  These days, authenticity is the key to charisma.  The over-polished blow dried candidate went out of style ten years ago.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 02:49:48 AM »

A Mormon would have a much easier time winning as a Dem, not as a Rep.  Both Mormons and conservative Protestants are natural Republican electorate, but the former are much more numerous, and from their standpoint he is not a Christian - not something they would take lightly. Furthermore, in the general election his Mormonism is gaining him few votes: most of his correligionists would vote for a Republican anyway - whereas a Mormon  Dem (against a protestant Rep) would easily carry Nevada

You mean like Harry Reid?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 03:59:20 AM »

I don't think he's charismatic at all.  I think he's a cold fish.  Why is he charismatic, because he looks like he was built by a focus group?  To me, charisma means an ability to connect with an individual in the audience and make them think that they can trust you and believe in you.  These days, authenticity is the key to charisma.  The over-polished blow dried candidate went out of style ten years ago.

Well, it won him an election in 2002.  He's very well polished, has good looks, and connects well in intimate audiences.

You don't seem to like Romney going in to this, so I wouldn't expect you to be "charmed" by him—you clearly don't want to be.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 05:08:57 AM »

Well, it won him an election in 2002.  He's very well polished, has good looks, and connects well in intimate audiences.

You don't seem to like Romney going in to this, so I wouldn't expect you to be "charmed" by him—you clearly don't want to be.

Not true.  I was well disposed towards Romney at the outset and probably would have ranked him at the top of my list of candidates a year ago.  His performance in the campaign has been so conventional, so stiff, and so vision-free, that I can't possibly support the man.  I do not want a cliche machine who focus groups every syllable.  He is, as Paul Tsongas once said of Bill Clinton, a pander bear (The most glaring example was his speech recently to the Mackinac Straw Poll, where he pledged to move the words "In God We Trust" from the back of our currency to the front.  This is simply un-Presidential.)  I was favorable towards Romney at the start, gave him a chance, and he flat out lost me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies