Nancy Reagan to Bush: 'We Don't Support Your Re-Election' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:22:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Nancy Reagan to Bush: 'We Don't Support Your Re-Election' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nancy Reagan to Bush: 'We Don't Support Your Re-Election'  (Read 5956 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: July 30, 2004, 08:21:51 PM »

I liked a lot of what Reagan did as president, but I never thought much of his family.  His kids were pretty messed up and it was pretty clear that whatever his political attributes, Ron (and Nancy) Reagan were probably not great parents.

Ron and Patti never supported their own father when he was running for office, so it's not a great surprise that they don't support President Bush.  Patti prided herself on being "sexually and pharmaceutically" adventurous and she changed her name because she was ashamed of her father's politics.

As far as Nancy Reagan goes, I have great admiration for her as a wife, but her only concern ever was Ronald Reagan.  Her position on issues was determined by how they affected Ronnie's approval rating, not what was good for the country.  If a cure could have been found for Reagan's disease that would have required every family in the country to sacrifice their first-born child, Nancy would have been for it, as long as it would have saved Ronnie.

So I don't think it matters all that much to the president whether he has the support of this dysfunctional bunch.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 04:31:03 PM »

Exactly right.  Neither one of them ever supported their father politically or his goals.

At one time, Patti professed deep hatred for both her parents.  She made a living writing books trashing them.

Then she woke up one day and realized that her father was an old man with a lot of money, so she "reconciled" with him and the mother who supposedly slapped her around and screamed at her all the time.

Neither one of them would ever have been anything without the Reagan connection.  Would anybody care what either one of them has to say if they weren't Ronald Reagan's children?  I think we know the answer to that.

They are entitled to disagree with their father, but it shows a total lack of any class to make a living off his name while advancing causes with which he did not agree.  If they want to advance their own opinions, they should not use their father's legacy to do so.  They're just spoiled left-wing brats.

At this point, Ron seems far worse than Patti.  She shot her mouth off for so many years and claims she now regrets it, so maybe she learned her lesson and is keeping more quiet.  But Ron is all over the place spouting his uninformed opinions and using twisted logic and revisionist history to morph Ronald Reagan into a liberal.  It's a disgraceful performance.

I would also add that it shows no class to bring up political differences with anybody at a funeral, publicly.  That is the height of tackiness, and it was done by Princess Diana's brother and Ron Reagan.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 05:30:53 AM »

i never was one of these republicans who worships ronald reagan.
Ron did nothing worth noting with his life, so he used his father's name to break into the media.  And now, they wrap themselves in their father's image.  What a crock?

And Bush II hasn't???

Another example of the apple falling very far from the tree.   Bush Sr. was a pragmatic moderate who wasn't particularly liked by the 'religious right' which is the core of W's. support.

Does anyone think W. would have even had a chance in the primaries (much less the election), if it wasn't for his famous name and father?    

I honestly don't think so.  He couldn't even have gotten into Yale without his family connections.   (a quality state college quite possibly, but certainly not the ultra-competitive Yale).

And would the drug-addicted kids of Robert Kennedy, who were kicked out of multiple private schools, have gotten into Harvard without their family connections?

I don't support "legacies" but let's not pretend that this happens only with the Bush family.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Al Gore had a little extra help with his college admissions too, as well as many others.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:24:55 PM »

My guess is that Nancy Reagan supports Pres. Bush's re-election with some reservations.

Nancy was never really a "movement" conservative - she was more devoted to her husband than to any set of ideas.

As far as the kids go, they really didn't turn out all that well, unfortunately.  And there seems to be a definite split in the family, as we've seen with that family in the past.

Nobody really commented on it, but I noticed that Michael seemed to be pushed to the side a lot at the Reagan funeral, while Nancy surrounded herself with Ron and Patti.  It's a shame, because even though Nancy is not his mother, Ronald Reagan was his father, and he seemed to get the classic stepchild treatment.

I don't blame Nancy if she doesn't plan to attend the RNC.  Her husband's death is so recent, she's frail, and it no doubt would be an extremely wrenching experience for her.  And who would she get to go with her?  Certainly not Patti or Ron.  She couldn't even get them to accompany her when she went to get the Congressional Medal of Freedom on behalf of herself and her husband.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies