If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:31:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP the GE in 2008?
Yes

No

probably

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008?  (Read 7253 times)
bonncaruso
bonncnaruso
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.43

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:35:38 AM »

What do you think?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:39:48 PM »

Yes, so why don't they go for it then!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:38:04 PM »

No doubt
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

Well, one might believe that the Democrats would win anyway (and a result of, say, 51D-45R-4E would lend itself to the belief that the evangelicals did not cost the Republicans the election).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »

I voted yes, but Verily's point is valid.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »

Well, one might believe that the Democrats would win anyway (and a result of, say, 51D-45R-4E would lend itself to the belief that the evangelicals did not cost the Republicans the election).
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:52:38 AM »

i think with Rudy there is a chance of this, but as has been stated it does not mean that they cost the election
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 10:49:53 AM »

I mean, we know that they are out there. There is at least 1 fundy on this site that refuses to vote for anything left of W on civil rights even if they would be shot if they didn't. I would say 5% of the entire electorate....possibly 7 or 8 percent. This will be devasting where the GOP's vote is concentrated on hard-core antiabortionists, like the eastern river valleys and and would be especially devasting in states like Iowa, Colorado and New Mexico where the GOP is far-right but the rest of the population isn't.  With someone like Guiliani, the GOP can expect to lose 5% of the party to apathy or the Constitution Party, another 2 or 3 to the dems (especially minorities), but could gain back some of those points from the dems if they show that neo-conservatism and supply-side economics is working.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »

I should've thought that evengelicals were about 1/3 of the GOP vote.  And the other 2/3 are mostly fairly religious too.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »

You're looking at this entirely the wrong way.

What if the evangelicals realize 2008 is a lost cause and the Republicans will lose anyway, would they than go for a third party to make a political point to the GOP brass?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »

Gee... if that were so....

You're looking at this entirely the wrong way.

What if the evangelicals realize 2008 is a lost cause and the Republicans will lose anyway, would they than go for a third party to make a political point to the GOP brass?

I would say it would go 50 Clinton/Richardson (they will win, but will they dispell the myth that a majority of the country wouldn't vote the dem ticket under any circumstance)-31 Guliani/Romney-14 Huckabee/Keyes- 4 Nader/Bandarak

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »

Even though it seems likely that the Democrats would win this scenario, an evangelical third party would not play a part in costing the Republicans the White House, however Electoral College votes, primarily in the Deep South.
jacob_101

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »

Definitely.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »

Hy!

I'm french, so sorry if my engish is not perfect.

I follow from my country for a couple of years the evangelicals movements arround the world and especially in the USA, I thinck they can progress through the populations all over the world and they are also in my small french city of the south west of France (7 evangelicals churches, 1 traditionnal protestant and 8 traditionnal catholic churches, for 45.000 peoples).

I came on this forum to ask questions about them on the US elections and precisely on the question of this topic: can the evangelicals make a third party? In my question i mean a third party as the democrates party or the republicans one.

So i would have several more precise questions:

Have some evangelicals politicians tried to create a third party? If they did, does that work?

Are evangelicals politicians some pastors?

Do the evangelicals churches try to federate them? If they do, does that work?

What is the place of the evangelicals in the US mass medias as CBS, ABC or NBC? How do we speack about them on these mass medias?

Lot of thancks for all the ones who can give some of these informations to me.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2007, 12:19:48 PM by StateBoiler »

Hy!

I'm french, so sorry if my engish is not perfect.

I follow from my country for a couple of years the evangelicals movements arround the world and especially in the USA, I thinck they can progress through the populations all over the world and they are also in my small french city of the south west of France (7 evangelicals churches, 1 traditionnal protestant and 8 traditionnal catholic churches, for 45.000 peoples).

I came on this forum to ask questions about them on the US elections and precisely on the question of this topic: can the evangelicals make a third party? In my question i mean a third party as the democrates party or the republicans one.

Hi and welcome.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Third parties generally do not work in this country. I'm a third-party advocate myself, but it's a bit quixotic. There are numerous third parties to the right of the Republicans. However, the only one to concern yourself and has any semblance of relevance are the Constitution Party. In 2004, they ran a second-tier candidate in Maryland lawyer Michael Peroutka and got 144,000 votes to take 5th place (0.12%). There are some elected Constitution Party members across the country. The highest profile is a state legislator in Montana named Rick Jore. There are various mayors across the country.

Yes. They tend to be Republicans. One Republican candidate for President this time is Mike Huckabee, a Southern Baptist minister. Various pastors over time have ran for political office, although it is more common in the black community via the Democratic Party.

There are of course ministers that belong to the Constitution Party, because they reject the Republican Party as being too liberal and not actively pursuing a Christian-based state.

Not sure I understand this question.

Depends who you ask and their opinion. They are certainly treated with respect as there is a large number of Americans that fall under the label "evangelical", and as mass media are dependent on ratings and advertising revenue, they don't want to make anyone mad.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »

Thancks a lot state boiler to answer my questions.

First i would like to precise that i'm not for the evangelicals. I just try to get informations about them cause i thinck they can have a very important place arround the world in the years to come.

When i asked if they tried to federate their churches, i wanted to know if, as there is a lot of different evangelical churches, they try to group them in a sort of federation of churches or in a sort of a big only evangelical movement with a only name, with a boss, with a strategy on a large scale and all the things that can do a big organization and not some different smalls.

I would also like to know if there is some debates in US mass medias on the separation of the Church and the State. If there are, does it take a large place, or a larger and larger place?

What i thinck from what i can see from my country is that the evangelicals will be deserved in 2008 but if the movement continue to spread in the population, i thinck they can come back stronger for the presidency elections to follow. What do you thinck about it?

Thanck you
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »

Thancks a lot state boiler to answer my questions.

First i would like to precise that i'm not for the evangelicals. I just try to get informations about them cause i thinck they can have a very important place arround the world in the years to come.

When i asked if they tried to federate their churches, i wanted to know if, as there is a lot of different evangelical churches, they try to group them in a sort of federation of churches or in a sort of a big only evangelical movement with a only name, with a boss, with a strategy on a large scale and all the things that can do a big organization and not some different smalls.

I would also like to know if there is some debates in US mass medias on the separation of the Church and the State. If there are, does it take a large place, or a larger and larger place?

What i thinck from what i can see from my country is that the evangelicals will be deserved in 2008 but if the movement continue to spread in the population, i thinck they can come back stronger for the presidency elections to follow. What do you thinck about it?

Thanck you

Hmmm... There are actually a few federations of evangelical/fundamentalist churches. There are the National Association of Evangelicals, the Christian Coalition (though they are being replaced). There are some evangelist think tanks, such as the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family as well. Also, there are several evangelical law schools- There is Regent Law School, Liberty Law School and Ave Maria Law School for fundamentalist catholics. So yes, there are some federated churches, think tanks and schools that make up the evangelical movement.

The evangelical movement may or may not become a bigger force. The one reason for this is because of the splintering of more non-ideological evangelicals. For example, there are some that are anti-abortion, like all the others, but are also pro-Kyoto, pro-Medicare and a few younger members are pro-gay. So, the evangelical movement may lose its ability to be a unified single force, though they may play a role in their respective pet issues.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 07:45:59 AM »

Thanck you for your answers Goa Tse.

I heard speacking about the "Christian coalition", isn't its strategy more international?
I also knew for schools, the one i knew is the "Patrick Henry college" did you hear about it?
And i'm not surprised at all that they have thinck tanks.

When you tell me that you don't thinck that the evangelical can go bigger cause they are splinting there ideology and they are becoming more open minded, i thinck it is the only way for them to can have a future. I thinck that if they want to survive, they have to be more pragmatic with the world. My thinck is that they will concentrate them on some traditionnal values plus maybe the creationism and almost they will put the maximum on the proselythism and still above on the charismatic way of life that make that peoples who have troubles in their life and in their mind will can sing and scream at church and then feel better. I thinck that is that can work in the US and it works also all arround the world. I thinck they are enough intelligent to feel it and to do in consequence, especially the baptists and the pentecotists who are thancks to me the ones on who we have to keep an eye.

What do you thinck about it?
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 01:43:19 PM »

If Ron Paul ran as a 3rd party candidates would he cost the GOP the election? that would be the best revenge if they try to keep him out by moving up the registration deadlines.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »

Thanck you for your answers Goa Tse.

I heard speacking about the "Christian coalition", isn't its strategy more international?
I also knew for schools, the one i knew is the "Patrick Henry college" did you hear about it?
And i'm not surprised at all that they have thinck tanks.

When you tell me that you don't thinck that the evangelical can go bigger cause they are splinting there ideology and they are becoming more open minded, i thinck it is the only way for them to can have a future. I thinck that if they want to survive, they have to be more pragmatic with the world. My thinck is that they will concentrate them on some traditionnal values plus maybe the creationism and almost they will put the maximum on the proselythism and still above on the charismatic way of life that make that peoples who have troubles in their life and in their mind will can sing and scream at church and then feel better. I thinck that is that can work in the US and it works also all arround the world. I thinck they are enough intelligent to feel it and to do in consequence, especially the baptists and the pentecotists who are thancks to me the ones on who we have to keep an eye.

What do you thinck about it?

I dunno, maybe. They will probably catch flack and isolate themselves if they continue to stay the anus of the GOP, CDs, Cons and what have you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »

Absolutely - but this would only happen if Giuliani (maybe Paul) got the nomination.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »

Sorry for my unknowledge but GOP? (republican party?) CDs? (christian democrats?) Cons? (conservators?)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 07:56:08 PM »

Sorry for my unknowledge but GOP? (republican party?) CDs? (christian democrats?) Cons? (conservators?)

GOP stands for "Grand Old Party" which refers to the Republicans because they won so many presidential elections from the American Civil War until the Great Depression in 1932.

I'm not sure what he meant with CD.

Cons. is short for conservatives, which refers to the ideology and not a particular party.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 10:49:30 AM »

GOP stands for "Grand Old Party" which refers to the Republicans because they won so many presidential elections from the American Civil War until the Great Depression in 1932.

I'm not sure what he meant with CD.

Cons. is short for conservatives, which refers to the ideology and not a particular party.

Thanck you Snowguy 716

I would have still a few more questions to ask to peoples living in USA about the evangelicals:

Have evangelicals a, or several, TV channel(s) that cover all the USA? If yes, has it, or have they, a good audience? Same question for national radio(s) or press.

Are there some debates in the country on a Christian-based state for USA? If yes, are these debates in mass medias (TVs, radios, press)? If they are, have they a large place? a small one? a lager? a smaller?

Have evangelicals big websites? which ones?

As this forum is before destined to speack on 2008 presidency elections and as i don't want to be out of subject, if someone knows a forum more destinited to speack about evangelicals, the adress will be welcome.

Finally, questions that are more on the 2008 elections:

What's the position of Hillary Clinton about evangelicals?

Have most of the democrats her position?

Is there a common position of the democrats about evangelicals?

I know, there is a lot of questions but i have a lot of interogations, so thancks a lot to all the ones that can give me some of these informations.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »

Thancks fezzyfestoon

All the information that permit me to better understand how USA work and how evangelicals work in USA are precious to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies