If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:26:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP the GE in 2008?
Yes

No

probably

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: If the evangelicals buck and go for a third party, will it cost the GOP 2008?  (Read 7276 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: November 08, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »

I agree with the vast consensus on this question.  It would absolutely cost the Republicans 2008.  Lets face it, the religious right is a huge, probably a good 40-50% (and I'm probably being conservative) of the Republican base.  If the vast majority of the r.r. goes third party, it will guarantee the Democrats the White House.

However, I see them staying with the GOP, because they know by voting third party, that it would be in effect a vote cast in favor of Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee.  I think the religious right would rather have a Republican in the White House at all costs when compared to the current Democratic field.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »

No, it could make the Dems EV count larger, (by pushing more upper south states in their column) but the Dems are winning neext year regardless if the Evangelicals go third party or not.

Not so fast, my friend.  I hope the Democrats win, but the Republicans can take the White House.  In fact, I'm kind of predicting a Giuliani administration, but I am not at all confident on that.  Clinton can easily win, but so can Giuliani.

Plus, I wouldn't tell anyone from Iowa or New Hampshire that this election is already over. Tongue

No matter who wins in 2008, save for Clinton, will be defeated in 2012.  Clinton is the only one in this crop in both parties that can be re-elected.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:07:33 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2007, 07:11:46 PM by Happy 100th Birthday, Oklahoma »

Why do you hope a dem win when a GOP win would mean you could have a regime which would push your kind of social views on us?

Because I'm a socially moderately-conservative, and economically liberal, Democrat.  Plus, as much as I like the guy, Bush and the Republicans have messed us up royally.  Not to mention, none of the Republican candidates would advance a radically conservative agenda.  Also, I want this war to end.  The Democrats are the only ones who will even attempt to do such a thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies