Iowa and the Democratic Triumvirate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:04:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Iowa and the Democratic Triumvirate.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa and the Democratic Triumvirate.  (Read 940 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:10:41 AM »

One of the few states Barack Obama currently leads in is Iowa. Much of the Junior Senator from Illinois' lead is attributed to his at least $2 million ad blitz which has introduced voters to the Senator's record and background. Most Iowans know Obama only from soundbites of his oratorically tremendous 2004 Democratic Convention speech and his summer sniping with Senator Clinton. Obama's dogged campaign style (which Cost notes has drastically improved from woeful early outings) combined with his biographical ads have fueled his Iowa surge.

While Hillary and Barack are evenly matched in campaign cash on hand, Senator Obama's cash  will go much further than Senator Clinton's funds. With near universal name recognition and strongly formed negatives and positives, Hillary is limited in her use of TV ads. When the New York Senator runs an ad touting her role in health care reform, her supporters will rejoice, her enemies will recoil, and the undecided will remain skeptical. Obama can and has used his ads to broaden his base of supporters. His recent advertisement touting the endorsement of decorated Air Force General Merritt McPeak is a prime example of using a TV to assuage doubts of Obama's capability as commander in chief.

Finally, Hillary is placed in the unenviable position of playing not to lose. If she finishes second to Senator Obama, the race will be transformed into a bifurcated affair pitting a youthful, politically attractive candidate with momentum against an experienced candidate running on the goal of taking America back to the Clinton years. The press would laud Obama's win and begin to once gain question Hillary's greatest weakness, electability. With the "big mo" from Iowa, Obama could win New Hampshire and then galvanize black supporters in South Carolina en route to a strong early showing.

To truly cement her status as frontrunner and stall Obama's candidaacy, Hillary must either emerge victorious from Iowa or see to it that Edwards, the less fearsome foe, wins first place.  Edwards, who has campaigned virtually non-stop since 2003, understands that the pressure of Iowa. To follow up his strong penultimate finish in 2004  with anything less than a 2008 win would be a devastating blow for the man of humble beginnings who strives to connect will the plain-spoken folks of this plains state.

The irony of this is that the accelerated primary calender, originally devised to add more geographical and racial diversity to the nominating process, may accentuate the importance of an ethnically homogeneous state awash in ethanol subsidies named Iowa.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:17:13 AM »

I have feeling Obama will beat Hillary in Iowa in an upset.

I'm dying for a new poll out of there. Not an ARG one either. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:21:24 AM »

A) I hope so too.

B) Take a look at the polling section. I just posted the latest DesMoines Register Iowa poll this morning. Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:51:14 AM »

A) I hope so too.

B) Take a look at the polling section. I just posted the latest DesMoines Register Iowa poll this morning. Smiley

Hmm... old people really seem to like Hillary Clinton.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:00:23 AM »

One of the few states Barack Obama currently leads in is Iowa.

?

Where are you getting this from? I looked at the compilation of polls, and it looks like, aside from one poll where Obama is leading, Hillary is leading in Iowa now.

Hillary will be unstoppable if she wins Iowa. If Edwards or Obama wins Iowa, they'll be competitive, but Hillary will still probably triumph through attrition. (Unfortunately, I say this as an Edwards supporter.)

I seriously do not understand the adulation that Obama receives. His performance in this campaign has been mediocre at best. I was very impressed with his speech at the 2004 convention, but he's been very unimpressive whenever he has to go off-script and debate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »

?

Where are you getting this from? I looked at the compilation of polls, and it looks like, aside from one poll where Obama is leading, Hillary is leading in Iowa now.

Hillary will be unstoppable if she wins Iowa. If Edwards or Obama wins Iowa, they'll be competitive, but Hillary will still probably triumph through attrition. (Unfortunately, I say this as an Edwards supporter.)

I seriously do not understand the adulation that Obama receives. His performance in this campaign has been mediocre at best. I was very impressed with his speech at the 2004 convention, but he's been very unimpressive whenever he has to go off-script and debate.

Obama leads in one Iowa poll and Hillary leads in two others polls. Basically, Iowa's a toss-up right now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:26:52 PM »

?

Obama leads in one Iowa poll and Hillary leads in two others polls. Basically, Iowa's a toss-up right now.

All of the polls are close anyway. The "leads'' are basically meaningless. It's still a three way race there (and Richardson is still worth watching as well). There is no way to know for sure how the thing will end up breaking on caucus night.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies