Kerry as Walter Sobchak
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:04:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry as Walter Sobchak
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry as Walter Sobchak  (Read 978 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2004, 10:19:30 PM »

This post is solely for those people that have seen The Big Lebowski... which should be just about everyone, since it is among the greatest movies ever made (if not the greatest).

You know, Kerry has played on his Vietnam vet status from Day 1. But the now concluded Democratic convention took it to a whole new level... there is nothing to John Kerry EXCEPT 4 months on a swift boat in Vietnam.

Setting aside physical differences, and of course the difference between Cynthia (Walter's ex) and Kerry's rich wives, they are very much alike. John Goodman (in his only brilliant role of his career) ties Vietnam into literally everything that happens.

His personality is more aggressive than Kerry (i.e. when he wants to beat up the supposed kidnappers of Bunny Lebowski). But the comparison still works; take the infamous scene with Smokey at the bowling alley.

Walter and the Dude are chatting, when Walter yells "Over the line!" Walter and Smokey, who is a pacifist, argue over whether Smokey had gone over the line. Walter tells him "this is not Nam Smokey, there are rules."

Smokey: "But, but, I wasn't over..."
Walter: "Son, you're entering a world of pain."
He then draws a gun and points it at Smokey's head, forcing him to mark a foul on the score card.

Similarly, Kerry calls for a debate of the issues, and then laces his speech with attacks on Bush's integrity and character. Make rules and then break them.

Mostly, Walter uses Nam as an excuse. In the restaurant, he is asked to quiet down. He yells back in response, telling the woman "I've got buddies that died FACE DOWN IN THE MUD so you and I could enjoy this family restaurant!!!!!"

During one discussion, Walter compares the Dude's rug being stolen to Nam. The Dude says, "Walter, will you give it up already. This has nothing to do with Nam!"

Walter: "Well, there's no literal connection-"
The Dude: "Face it, Walter, there isn't any connection."
Walter: "Well, have it your way, but..."

Then, at the end of the movie, Walter is giving the impromptu eulogy for Donnie. He addresses the Lord, and begins mentioning the men He took at various battles in Vietnam. Donnie died of a heart attack outside the bowling alley.

Walter's actions are more Bush-like though... drawing the gun on Smokey, trying to ambush the alleged kidnappers, fighting the Nihilists that set the Dude's car on fire, beating the crap out of the Corvette he thought belonged to Larry Sellers, etc. So you can draw parallels to either candidate- but in terms of his speeches, Kerry is closely related to Walter Sobchak.

I think it might be worthy of a paper...
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 06:35:24 AM »

I have to give you some credit for drawing these tenuous threads into analogies, and for choosing one of the greatest movies ever for your subject matter.

Hopefully Kerry will prove more level-headed than Walter Sobchek.  Hopefully.

If he starts having flashbacks and waving pistols around or jumping out of moving cars with them, then I will wish for Cheney to come back and slap him updside the head with a duck-hunting rifle.  Alright man?

The dude abides.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies