Report rubbishes claims Scotland is a 'subsidy junkie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Report rubbishes claims Scotland is a 'subsidy junkie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Report rubbishes claims Scotland is a 'subsidy junkie  (Read 1021 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:34:25 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=487058&in_page_id=1770

Turns out we Scots pay the most tax per head that anywhere outside of London and recieve just £38 per head back... Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »

The biggest subsidies provided by the State in any capitalist society are those given to the owners.  These privileges are called 'profits', and are rather comically defined as 'private'.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=487058&in_page_id=1770

Turns out we Scots pay the most tax per head that anywhere outside of London and recieve just £38 per head back... Smiley

It's to be welcomed, not least because it pours ridicule on those "Little Englander" Roll Eyes tirades against Scotland

My preference is elected regional assemblies for the English Regions with two-tiers below: firstly, a unitary authority and secondly, town or parish councils but only where desired given that some localities aren't parished. Labour should have put that loud and clear in its 1997 Manifesto without any proviso for referenda and just did it anyway like the Conservatives did in abolishing the GLC and the Mets

As far as UK goes, I'm a staunch unionist. British Smiley, first and foremost. Being in the North East, I have a greater 'political' affinity with Scotland than the I do the south of England

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies