Death Penalty Abolition Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:48:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Death Penalty Abolition Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Death Penalty Abolition Act  (Read 13378 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »

Whether or not the bible says it's ok is not the issue here--it's whether it's ok in Atlasia.  So let's get back to debating that.

Sorry, they were helping me out..
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2004, 07:10:20 PM »

Ok thank you, I will study up on this.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2004, 07:18:41 PM »

i am torn on this act Sad .. I mean I see that the bibles say to forgive your ememis. But I think life in jail is way to easy for them...

The bible says capital punishment is acceptable if administered by the government as a punishment for crimes.

Where? I'm not saying you are wrong.. I just need to study up on this issues.

I think he's referring to the laws contained in Leviticus and Deuteronomy in the old testament. However, in the new testament Christ renounces all of that. I maintain my stance that in the end the Bible does not condone death as punishment.

Ok, do you happen to know where it is in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. And where Christ goes against it in the New Testament?

He goes against it in Matthew 5:44 (which I posted earlier in the thread) and in the story where an adulteress is about to be stoned, but Jesus says "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her" (Jn 8:7) and then when no one can throw a stone he forgives her of her sin.

I don't know the exact places in the old testament but I know they're there
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2004, 07:20:36 PM »

i am torn on this act Sad .. I mean I see that the bibles say to forgive your ememis. But I think life in jail is way to easy for them...

The bible says capital punishment is acceptable if administered by the government as a punishment for crimes.

Where? I'm not saying you are wrong.. I just need to study up on this issues.

I think he's referring to the laws contained in Leviticus and Deuteronomy in the old testament. However, in the new testament Christ renounces all of that. I maintain my stance that in the end the Bible does not condone death as punishment.

Ok, do you happen to know where it is in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. And where Christ goes against it in the New Testament?

He goes against it in Matthew 5:44 (which I posted earlier in the thread) and in the story where an adulteress is about to be stoned, but Jesus says "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her" (Jn 8:7) and then when no one can throw a stone he forgives her of her sin.

I don't know the exact places in the old testament but I know they're there

Liberty,

Read the link I posted.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2004, 07:21:44 PM »

there's so much stuff in the bible, you could probably find a passage that supports or opposes just about anything
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2004, 07:41:21 PM »

the use of capital punishment "by civil magistrates as a legitimate form of punishment for those guilty of murder or treasonous acts that result in death." The death penalty should be used only when there is "clear and overwhelming evidence of guilt," the proposal says. It also calls for "vigilance, justice and equity in the criminal justice system," with capital punishment "applied as justly and as fairly as possible without undue delay, without reference to the race, class or status of the guilty."

OK that is how I am going to believe... Sounds fair, and right to me..
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2004, 08:29:03 PM »

I will not veto this bill.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 05:13:53 AM »

You've just gone up in my personal approval rating!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 05:41:25 AM »

You've just gone up in my personal approval rating!
Yay! Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 07:12:56 AM »

And you've gone down in mine.

One major reason why the people don't want others to have life in prison is because, we, the public have to PAY for them when they're in there. We DON'T want them to drain our money so they can have a hotel style life.

If anything make the prisons more like Turkey and then I'd like the bill. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 07:15:29 AM »

One major reason why the people don't want others to have life in prison is because, we, the public have to PAY for them when they're in there. We DON'T want them to drain our money so they can have a hotel style life.

If anything make the prisons more like Turkey and then I'd like the bill. Smiley

No... Sad

I don't think the state should take the lives of its citizens in peacetime, that's all.  
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

I believe any abolition of the death penalty would require an amendment to the 5th amendment of the constition to remove the word 'life' from the due process clause.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 02:51:51 AM »

For what its worth I do not support this bill. I believe if someone kills another person in cold blood and a jury finds that there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt of this that the Death Penalty should be at very least an option.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 06:43:49 AM »

You are prepared to kill someone just to save a few bucks?

I would support creating prisons that were about as uncomfortable as possible without vioolating human rights. The people in them, ex death-rowers, don't need TVs; they don't need education programmes, and they don't need internet access.

Maybe not the same as Turkey, but they don't have to be like hotels.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 01:36:55 PM »

It actually costs more money to execute a person than to hold them in jail for 30 years (the average legnth on a life sentence), so your point is moot.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 09:28:59 PM »

It actually costs more money to execute a person than to hold them in jail for 30 years (the average legnth on a life sentence), so your point is moot.

But then they get to walk again.. and have another chance to kill again...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 09:35:01 PM »

I don't know what your definition of a life sentence is josh...
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 10:03:04 PM »

Most life sentences are only for like 20 to 30 years, like harry said.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 10:41:31 PM »

Most life sentences are only for like 20 to 30 years, like harry said.

Err, yeah, that's probably becuase they DIE IN JAIL!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2004, 01:55:57 AM »

some states have life sentences that end before the people die. hat can be remedied if a senator was to propose an amendment.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2004, 05:37:12 PM »

I support the abolition of the death penalty, under any and all circumstances.

It has been argued in this thread that we must pay for keeping prisoners alive.  The truth is that the appeals process for death row inmates is much costlier to society in dollar terms.

The death penalty has not proven to be an effective deterrent to crime.  Murder and other heinous crimes are not committed less frequently in states that have death penalty as in states that do not.

If it does not deter crime, its only purpose is punishment.  It fails in that end as well.  Criminal terrorists the likes of Tim McVeigh are only too happy to die for their crimes.  Life in prison is a terrible punishment, and many would prefer death.  Which punishment is worse is purely a matter of personal opinion.

But my primary reason for opposing the death penalty is that it has been and does get administered to innocent people on occasion, and there is no way to commute this sentence if DNA evidence clears a convict after he has been executed.

The death penalty is a barbaric practice which modern society should abolish.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

I support the abolition of the death penalty, under any and all circumstances.

It has been argued in this thread that we must pay for keeping prisoners alive.  The truth is that the appeals process for death row inmates is much costlier to society in dollar terms.

The death penalty has not proven to be an effective deterrent to crime.  Murder and other heinous crimes are not committed less frequently in states that have death penalty as in states that do not.

If it does not deter crime, its only purpose is punishment.  It fails in that end as well.  Criminal terrorists the likes of Tim McVeigh are only too happy to die for their crimes.  Life in prison is a terrible punishment, and many would prefer death.  Which punishment is worse is purely a matter of personal opinion.

But my primary reason for opposing the death penalty is that it has been and does get administered to innocent people on occasion, and there is no way to commute this sentence if DNA evidence clears a convict after he has been executed.

The death penalty is a barbaric practice which modern society should abolish.
The death penalty is also giving out in grossly disproportionate numbers to minorites btw
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2004, 08:20:02 PM »

*the latte liberal platoon somes and starts thwacking senators that oppose this Act, while other members start pamphleting (sp?)*
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2004, 10:23:43 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 10:24:11 PM by Senator StevenNick »

*the latte liberal platoon somes and starts thwacking senators that oppose this Act, while other members start pamphleting (sp?)*

All the conservatives, who actually work for a living, sneer in disapproval when watching coverage of the "latte liberal platoon" wreak havoc at the senate on the evening news.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2004, 01:37:50 AM »

We need to bring back the town square hanging.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies