Repeal of the Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:58:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Repeal of the Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act  (Read 4721 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »

Since Brandon H is ok with me taking this above his Estate Tax Reform Bill, I am going to do so, although no power gives me the right to do such a thing.  If there is objection, please let me know and I will that bill next on the queue.

F.L. 6-20 (the Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act) is hereby repealed.

(Sponsor: Al)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »

Quite naturally, I have a lot to say about this bill - but it won't be said today.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:25 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2007, 07:51:30 AM by afleitch »

I don't believe this bill can be submitted as it stood when it was passed on '04. 6am -7pm daycare is unnecessarily long. Likewise the fact a child can be placed in a day-care centre from birth simply allows people to abandon their kid and their parental responsibility (and probably isn't necessary if we have parental leave legislation in place) It should be suited to help parents into work.

Concentrating on section A: Replacement text in bold
Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act

From the second a child is born the age of 12 months any child born into a family that is below the regional poverty line, that child's parents/guardians will have the option of sending the child to a day-care center, operated within the local public school and managed by the public school on behalf of the regional government from 6 AM until 7 PM, 8am - 4pm, Monday to Friday excluding local and national holidays until the child is ready to attend the normal public school. of school age. The day-care center will be cost free cost $1 a day, and it will attempt to instill positive traits in children at a young age, so that they will be better adults. The federal government will allocate funds for this, but will leave all decisions up to local regional governments.

The dollar a day thing is a token. I'm sure most parents would be willing to fork out on a dollar a day for their own kid, considering these daycare centres would feed, change and act as surrogate parents. I'm not pleased with this bill and the fact it could be abused by deadbeat parents to abandon their kids to the state, but it needs tidied up and tailored to suit working parents who want the best for their kids but take responsibility too, before it can be considered. Cost has to come down too.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »

I don't believe this bill can be submitted as it stood when it was passed on '04. 6am -7pm daycare is unnecessarily long. Likewise the fact a child can be placed in a day-care centre from birth simply allows people to abandon their kid and their parental responsibility (and probably isn't necessary if we have parental leave legislation in place) It should be suited to help parents into work.

From the second a child is born the age of 12 months any child born into a family that is below the regional poverty line, that child's parents/guardians will have the option of sending the child to a day-care center, operated within the local public school and managed by the public school on behalf of the regional government from 6 AM until 7 PM, 8am - 4pm, Monday to Friday excluding local and national holidays until the child is ready to attend the normal public school. of school age. The day-care center will be cost free cost $1 a day, and it will attempt to instill positive traits in children at a young age, so that they will be better adults. The federal government will allocate funds for this, but will leave all decisions up to local regional governments.

The dollar a day thing is a token. I'm sure most parents would be willing to fork out on a dollar a day for their own kid, considering these daycare centres would feed, change and act as surrogate parents. I'm not pleased with this bill and the fact it could be abused by deadbeat parents to abandon their kids to the state, but it needs tidied up and tailored to suit working parents who want the best for their kids but take responsibility too, before it can be considered. Cost has to come down too.

Is this an amendment, afleitch, because it seems unclear to me.  Thanks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »

Is this an amendment, afleitch, because it seems unclear to me.  Thanks.

Yes; sorry. It was also used to highlight how poorly written early pieces of legislation should not be lifted from the archives Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

We are now voting on the following amendment:

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Well, it's better than the original version, but I will still not be voting in favor of this.

Aye.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »

Nay; disagree with a couple of the ideological changes, although I support the goal of cleaning up the bill's language.

The day-care center should just be free, and the original operating hours should be restored.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 09:18:05 AM »

Aye.

I don't see why public day care centres should have different hours to public schools. I'm even being generous in giving them an hour window each way.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »

Aye, much improved.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »

While I'm incredibly hesistant to meddle in the affairs of Atlasian families, I just can't support the idea of allowing a state funded daycare that basically accounts for 75% or more of a newborn's waking hours.  That's not a healthy way to raise a baby, I'm sorry.

I'd sooner support some kind of "big government" European mommy allowance situation.  At least the kid gets to spend some time with its mother in that case.

Aye on the amendment.  It moves this bill in the right direction.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:31:44 AM »

Aye
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 01:11:25 PM »

I approve of only some of the changes in Andrew's amendment, and my vote remains swingable.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »

nay
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

Present tally:  5 votes in favor, 2 against, 3 not voting (Brandon H, Rob, Lewis)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:02:28 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 10:10:24 AM »

Result on Amendment (afleitch)
Aye: 7 (Sam; afleitch; Verily; Moderate; Al; Lewis; Brandon)
Nay: 2 (Ebowed; Earl)
Abstain [Didn't Vote]: 1 (Rob)

The Ayes have it, the amendment is carries.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »

With Al having left the Senate, A Senator now has 72 hours to assume sponsorship of this legislation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »

I'll sponsor the bill.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »

Ok, well then it will be less than another 24 hours before the sponsorship takes effect.

As with legislation like this that I do not support, it is tempting to object to responsorship, but I won't as PPT head b/c I don't feel that it's right.  That doesn't mean others are forbidden from doing so.

I still oppose this bill b/c it is simply unnecessary and wasteful, although it's about 1000 times better than the original.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 03:26:21 AM »

How long until we see a Repeal of the Repeal of the Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act? Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »

How long until we see a Repeal of the Repeal of the Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act? Tongue

Give me enough time, Gabu.

Anyway, afleitch has taken over sponsorship.

I've leaving a little time for more amendments.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »

Per the OSPR, given that more than 14 days have elapsed since the introduction of this bill, a motion of cloture will be necessary to bring this matter to a final vote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »

Consider it brought.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »

So noted. I won't be opening any new votes on any of the legislation currently on the floor until the 4th Amendment vote is concluded in budgetary thread.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the motion for cloture.

---

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies