Oklahoma City is about to sky-rocket in growth...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oklahoma City is about to sky-rocket in growth...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma City is about to sky-rocket in growth...  (Read 3068 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »

I know most of you don't give a flip about Oklahoma City, but let me give you a few suprising details about Oklahoma City.  Oklahoma City is a large city with nearly 550,000 residents and is the 29th largest city in the country.  Oklahoma City is also rapidly growing, too.  We are expected to be near 600,000 within the next three-five years mainly due to a bunch of businesses moving in and relocating to Oklahoma City from other parts of the country.  According to Forbes magazine: (link: http://realestate.msn.com/Rentals/Articleforbes.aspx?cp-documentid=723446) Oklahoma City is the 9th best city to find a job.  A lot of the jobs are in the oil and gas industry, but we also have a whole slew of other industries coming in.  Tech jobs are on the rise in Oklahoma City, even though I have had trouble finding one.  It is true that GM closed a plant in Oklahoma City, but that was due to the company downsizing, not any fault of Oklahoma City.  Dell has opened a huge call center in the Southwest part of the City.  Northrop Grumman (my employer), a leading space technology corporation, has the only techinical editing contract with the Department of Defense in the country.  Boeing is building and opening a multi-million dollar facility in November 2007, expecting to bring in thousands of jobs.  Lockheed Martin is also here.

Oklahoma City is about to just take off in growth over the next 20 years.  Every city in the country will have to start recognizing Oklahoma City as a vital City to the nation's survival.  In my opinion, if there is no Oklahoma City there is no United States of America.

Again, I know most of you think that Oklahoma is just fly-over country, but I hope you take a second look at Oklahoma City and realize that we are an extremely important state, not any less important than New York City or Los Angeles.

I am so proud of my City and I truely believe that it is the BEST CITY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

Every city in the country will have to start recognizing Oklahoma City as a vital City to the nation's survival.  In my opinion, if there is no Oklahoma City there is no United States of America.
What are you smoking and where can I get some?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »

Sure as hell doesn't vote or act like a big city....unless that city is just a giant gated community. I was there in 1998 and it felt like a poor version of my home town of Tampa...a lot like Amarillo.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:47:28 AM »

Every city in the country will have to start recognizing Oklahoma City as a vital City to the nation's survival.  In my opinion, if there is no Oklahoma City there is no United States of America.
What are you smoking and where can I get some?

Nothing...  I am speaking the absolute truth.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:29:56 PM »

Concerning Oklahoma City, do they, in Oklahoma City, teach the students in Oklahoma City about Oklahoma City pronouns?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

Good to see your city prospering, Jeff.  Hopefully your city will use this prosperity wisely, investing in infrastructure to continue growth in the short term and education to continue it in the long term.
jbtornado
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »

I'm in Kansas and Oklahoma in general is going to see good growth as Texas staggering growth continues. As we get more growth in Texas, and eventually it grows too fast and problems arise, people will spread to areas around Texas, like Arkansas and Oklahoma. Oklahoma is also on the fringe of the sunbelt and typically has very mild winters, with only brief spells of cold and snow in them and has very diverse geographic features which nobody knows about. It has the rolling hills and plains in the west, with a few scattered mountain ranges in the Southern sections of the state while the Eastern Part of the state is thickly forested and hilly just like Arkansas and Tennessee.

Problems with Oklahoma are the rural decline in areas of Western Oklahoma, which hopefully can eventually be dealt with and the state is still very conservative and its roads are in great need of repair.

Nobody will believe it but Wichita Kansas and Oklahoma City being along 135 are in a situation to grow very rapidly. But compare the sizes of these cities to Chicago, NYC, and LA and many other cities, its just not a fair assessment
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:08:15 PM »

Most medium sized cities in the midwest are experiencing a lot of growth.  It doesn't just extend into Oklahoma.  Omaha and Des Moines are growing as well.

The problem, however, is that most of this growth is fueled by people moving from rural areas of those states into the cities because there are no jobs or opportunities in rural areas... so it's not really a positive net growth, just the centralization of the state population.  This is especially true on the plains.

CultureKing
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 03:19:44 PM »

Most medium sized cities in the midwest are experiencing a lot of growth.  It doesn't just extend into Oklahoma.  Omaha and Des Moines are growing as well.

The problem, however, is that most of this growth is fueled by people moving from rural areas of those states into the cities because there are no jobs or opportunities in rural areas... so it's not really a positive net growth, just the centralization of the state population.  This is especially true on the plains.

I thought the plains states in general were losing population or growing at a much slower rate in general in relalation to the rest of the country.

Oh and have fun when the Sonics move to Oklahoma City, we dont want them anymore (it will be your problem soon).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »

Of course Tulsa is the premier city in Oklahoma.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2007, 04:42:33 PM by Fabian hates high school »

Wait... Forbes? I don't really trust them (quote from Forbes hack: "If jobs were the sole motivating factor, Chicago would not be losing people at a faster rate than Pittsburgh and Los Angeles would not be hemorrhaging population quicker than Detroit."), not to mention the dot com bust is pretty much over (we're already recovering fast here). Yet another forbes hack.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

Oklahoma as a whole is still growing slower than the national average. Also, even if you think Oklahoma City is a great city, it really isn't that important like NYC. I mean, nobody talks about OC. While I'm sure OC is decent, what does it do better than other cities? I wonder why you have such passion towards Oklahoma. Colorado is 10 times a better state and I don't have nearly as much... almost embarassing passion. Also, IMO, I expect Oklahoma to go 80% Republican next election.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

Oklahoma as a whole is still growing slower than the national average. Also, even if you think Oklahoma City is a great city, it really isn't that important like NYC. I mean, nobody talks about OC. While I'm sure OC is decent, what does it do better than other cities? I wonder why you have such passion towards Oklahoma. Colorado is 10 times a better state and I don't have nearly as much... almost embarassing passion. Also, IMO, I expect Oklahoma to go 80% Republican next election.
Lol, OC=Orange County, CA.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »

I hope you take a second look at Oklahoma City and realize that we are an extremely important state, not any less important than New York City or Los Angeles.

If you honestly think that Oklahoma City is equally important as NYC or LA, I don't really know what to tell you.  I mean, there's liking one's city of residence, and then there's... that.

Also, I was unaware that Oklahoma City was a state unto itself. Tongue
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »

I hope you take a second look at Oklahoma City and realize that we are an extremely important state, not any less important than New York City or Los Angeles.

If you honestly think that Oklahoma City is equally important as NYC or LA, I don't really know what to tell you.  I mean, there's liking one's city of residence, and then there's... that.

Listen, he knows MUCH more about Oklahoma than you do.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »

Ummm... we're the ones with the power.  My city is the First City on the Mississippi (first incorporated town/city)...

We could dump some toxic goop in there and you guys would sure be sorry!  Oh wait... everybody else does that.  You can actually swim in the river after it flows through our city.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »

Peak oil and climate change will kill this growth.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 01:57:06 AM »

LOL STUF theyve got enuf people there for a whole congressional district now, lol
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 03:34:51 AM »

I thought the plains states in general were losing population or growing at a much slower rate in general in relalation to the rest of the country.

The only state that actually has negative population growth is North Dakota.  All other states have positive growth but you are correct in saying the plains are growing significantly slower in comparison to the national average.  Also, as snowguy pointed out, the rural plains and small towns are bleeding population into the big metro areas so most Midwestern cities maintain a healthy growth rate.

As for Oklahoma City being an essential American city, I think it already qualifies in that category.  I'd say that all of the top 50 most populated metro areas are vital in some way to the American economy.  I don't think that Oklahoma City will be seeing any great leaps in significance due to a relative small amount of population growth though.  There are a lot of other metro areas experiencing much greater growth and most of the top 50 metro areas are still going strong.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 12:53:48 PM »

Haha, neat!  They're gonna ex-pand th' trailer park. Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »

Maybe y'all dun can afford a new veHICKLE and get the IN-surance fo-or it.  Oil rhames with bowl but bowl dun has more syllables!  *spit*  "ting!"

From a person with a funny accent to others with funny accents.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »

I don't know what the charm of Oklahoma is besides being the last place, besides Alaska, to be populated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies