Arnold gets it right again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arnold gets it right again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arnold gets it right again  (Read 1259 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/32e19f68-7ff9-11dc-b075-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

If only this were possible, I'm afraid not even the coming landslide (not Presidential) won't even be enough for us to silence the neo-cons and religious right and move forward.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:49 PM »

You mean he wants  the Republican party to move to the left of the Democratic party? That's not going to happen.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »

Arnold Schwarzenegger is certainly one of the more tolerable Republicans, and I'd even vote for him if his opponent was an idiot.

Unfortunately, 2008 will not be the year that the Republican party runs for the center.  It will be the first year in a long time that running as far right as possible will actually hurt them, which is significant.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »

The Democrats have already seized the center. Of course, if the Republicans seized the left of center, that'd be pretty cool.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »

The Democrats have already seized the center. Of course, if the Republicans seized the left of center, that'd be pretty cool.

With a congressional approval rate of 11% I'd say the center doesn't really belong to anyone.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:50:37 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2007, 11:53:45 PM by Goa Tse »

With a congressional approval rate of 11% I'd say the center doesn't really belong to anyone.

At 11%, I would say that no one belongs to anyone. The conservatives just fillibuster things by talking about their homoerotic encounters in which they claimed they canceled out they gayness by saying "no homo" and the liberals are too principled to stop them from shutting down congress.

Unfortunately, 2008 will not be the year that the Republican party runs for the center.  It will be the first year in a long time that running as far right as possible will actually hurt them, which is significant.

Could 2008 be the next 1968 (where the opposition urges normalcy) or 1972 (when the lingering majority runs such a radical campaign, that for the next 40 years, a majority of americans will not vote for them), basically a political Stalingrad for the party that has defined America for the past third century?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:52:08 AM »

You mean he wants  the Republican party to move to the left of the Democratic party? That's not going to happen.

Or maybe just roll back the clock to, say, the far more tolerable GOP of the 1980s.

Remember?  When the GOP was for limited government (and meant it), balanced budgets, intelligent foreign policy, and for keeping out of people's private lives?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »

Or maybe just roll back the clock to, say, the far more tolerable GOP of the 1980s.

Remember?  When the GOP was for limited government (and meant it), balanced budgets, intelligent foreign policy, and for keeping out of people's private lives?

Its best not to post in response to him, he doesn't understand.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:05:54 AM »

I'd say the Democrats own the center simply due to the shear number of "Bush seats" they hold in comparison to the GOP's "Kerry seats." 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2007, 07:52:18 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Well, Reagan was far more tolerable than Bush, but that's not saying much. Maybe you meant the pre-1980 GOP? Of course, I would want the Democrats to back to their pre-1980 roots, too, with people like Senators Frank Church, George McGovern, and Birch Bayh.

The Democrats may have regained the Senate (3 different times) since 1980, but they have never truly recovered from the 1980 Senate elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_1980
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »

Congressional approval rating has nothing to do with the perception that the Democrats are the moderate party and the Republicans extreme. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies